Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Super Platformer!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2014 09:59 Edited at: 11th Jan 2014 10:54

So I've been a part of the TGC community for a few years and have never produced anything of worth.

Lately I've been touching up on my programming skills and have begun development on a single-screen platforming game/template.

I was inspired by some of the platformers released on the Amiga and Commodore 64.

The game is entirely in 3D and just rendered with an orthographic view to appear 2D. The menus and such are all sprite based however.

I'm using DarkDynamix for the physics and collision dectection and it's AMAZING. Makes everything incredibly easy!

Even with the ease of DarkDynamix I'm having trouble trying to check for a collision between the player controller and a coin/pickup object. Any help?

If there is a demand for the source code then I'll upload it with all media attached.

Working =
Not Started =

Collision/Physics =
GameStates (Logo -> Menu -> Game) =
Enemies =
Scoring System =
Saving/Loading =
Coins/Pickups =
Xbox 360 Controller support =

I'm still pretty new to this whole process and would appreciate as much help as you can provide. I'm not looking for graphics or anything just a little help coding certain aspects of the game.

AMD FX 6300 hex-core processor 3.5 GHZ
16 GB DDR3 ram, Geforce 660 Ti 2GB ram
kordman916
Years of Service
User Offline
[Reserved]

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2014 03:39
I was working on a 3d/2d view game a while back and just to make everything easier I used built in collision for player/pickup's even though I used sparky's for everything else. Not sure if that will work for your game or not though.

New sig coming soon..
kordman916
Years of Service
User Offline
So the built in collision is good enough for coins and such?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2014 17:35
Complex <-> complex collisions aren't supported I believe, if that might be your issue. Try making the coin colliders spheres since it's rendered as 2D anyway.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
back in the days I wanted to make a fast Christmas compo entry, but couldnĀ“t finish it in time.
This is what I came up with:

The physics have all been made by myself and are fairly easy done.

If your game only happens one the same z coordinate and your coins are spheres, just check if the Players distance to the coin is smaller than the coins radius and you will succesfully detect the pick up.

If you Need some more code based help, send me a message.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:00:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:00:12