Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / need a tutorial

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 01:45
hi could anyone help supply me with a tutorial on making an rpg with dark basic classic

'DGMC2003'
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 02:14
No. There are none. I appears you have little to no knowledge of the Dark Basic Programming language. The best thing I can say is to START SMALLER.

RPGamer

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
Brandon Smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 04:28
I would start with the tutorials provided on the website. Most of the concepts they go over aren't specific to any genre and you could use them in an RPG if you wanted.
DB also has a really good help system with demo code for each command in their library. So if you find you need to make a health bar, but don't know anything about sprites, you could look at the demo code on managin sprites.
That should at least give you a start. After that you should be able to ask more specific questions which hopefully can get you more help.

So, hope that helps
Brandon
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 04:34
There is some source code at

http://www.mojomagic.co.uk

But if your a newb your just gonna get scared by the crazy code.

RPGamer

Matt McFarland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 04:47
The beginner's guide to dark basic programming is excellent.

It teaches you about the commands. It shows the commands in action, explains what each command does, and encourages you to play around with them a bit.

I played with GW-BASIC as a kid, and even Quick Basic 4.5, so I found this book boring for the most part. But I had no idea how well it helped until after I finished it.

Its amazing when you read a book, play around with its examples and tutorials, you really notice its help once you start working on a project from scratch. I think that the beginner's book is a great start, then you should make little dinky games for fun to sharpen your skills and DB knowledge. Take on an advanced tutorial after you get more in tune with the commands.

No matter how dinky your games are, as long as you are challenging yourself you will get better. You can even revise one of your dinky games and make it a kick-arse game in the future. the possibilites are limitless!!!

Just remember that you couldn't walk before you could crawl, and you couldn't run before you could walk!

repeat arkBASICPro = LearnStatus() :until DarkBASICPro = FullyUnderStood
MatriX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 07:17
Check out the snippets forumn too. I thought I saw something there on a bare bones rpg..

With all things in life - try hard. Success does not come with meeting the minimum requirements.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 18:18
RPG Menu

Jaze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 07:40
In Short - Tutorial - Plan Storyline, rules, game play, game interface - every detail - thoroughly - avery aspect you can think of - then draw it all on a piece of glass. Smash the glass with hammer. When you can glue then back together - you can write a tutrial for amking one from scratch! hehe.... Just kidding - Seriously - the breaking it down into smaller pieces is only way once you have figured out your design
Good Luck

-=/Jaze/=-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 12:09:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 12:09:51