Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Important - Attitude to Newbies

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 00:36
But I know my html tagging went wrong though...

-----

~ J ~
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 00:37
[email][/email][/img][/center][/quote]
[img]
Quote: "[center]"
[/code][/href]
Quote: "[/quote][/i][/href][/img]
[/u][/b][href][code][quote][u][b][img][href][b][i][u][center][quote][href][/href]"

...and like that; he's gone...
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 00:38
Cool.

I just bashed the buttons for a bit.

...and like that; he's gone...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 00:49
Quote: "
"

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 00:56
@PsychoHoseBeast

The post containing most of the information you need is contained in a sticky at the top of the newcomers forum.

BLUE GUI Plugin: http://blue.robert-knight.net / BLUE IDE [href]http://blueide.sf.net/ - Replacement editor for DBPro[/href]
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 02:19 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2003 02:20
Quote: ""

-RUST-
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 03:04
huh @ rustler?

Beauty, eh? RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 04:26 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2003 04:27
people were doing silly stuff with quote and code boxes so I did something really silly

Quote: ""

-RUST-
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 04:47

Beauty, eh?
I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 05:00
nope

-RUST-
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 06:01
In the last few months I've noticed something. There are a number oif people here, though they've been here a few months, still act like newbies, and these are the people attacking the 'new' newbies. Just cause you've been here awhile doesn't make you the expert on DBP, most of these people asked the same questions as the newbies and some still are. The complete lack of maturity here is getting down right annoying. Any time one of these old newbies sees a chance to attack someone and get away with under the approval of the forum they go for it, probably why the Team Request forum is watched as much as it is. The only time I come close to flaming newbies is telling them to read sticky post reguarding rule of the forum. The problem we're having is that there are too many people still acting like newbies.

One last thing, I agree with Raven when it comes to the learning curve. Unless you've taken some outside lession for BASIC you're gonna hit some serious roadbumps. Intermedate tutories are a must.

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 10:23
Serious head on...

I myself haven't been here long, my main purpose for moving in ( ) was because of the childish, rude, downright stupid and above all unnecessary 'attacks' on me on the Blitz websites. Whether you call me bigheaded or not I really don't care, but as far as I'm concerned, any product I produce in Dark Basic Pro will be released and dedicated to the users of Dark Basic Pro, it's blitz's loss and darks' gain.

However...

I agree, newbies shouldn't be blasted or blamed, and I know what it's like to have a question that you daren't really ask in a newbie category because you think "Hang on, this is full of newbies, how will they know the answer, so I'll post in the more advanced section..." I hope you agree, this is kinda true if we're all honest about it. Having said that, I would never dream of asking a question in the advanced category like "How do I make my text coloured", it's just not done.

But...

Even though I'm new myself, I really think it's a bit much for someone to come on expecting all the answers to be given on the plate. I 'know' that programming is fun. Hell I've done it 21 years, 17 as a full time professional career, but I think the majority of the posts are from people thinking they can simply buy (or get an illegal copy ) and start coding away without any of the 'fun' in learning. I know learning can be a chore at times, and I know we all would like results kinda yesterday, but simply asking a two sentanced question and expecting a paragraph of an answer is really too much...

Only yesterday I had HUGE amount of problems trying to understand some mathemtics when it comes to moving a sprite round a circular path. Las6 and IanM were fantastic in helping out, the answers were quick, concise and to the point. I know I would have been blasted a "noob", "O god, don't you know how to do a circular path" or worse in other forums. In contrast, no names mentioned, other recent posts of "Hi, how do I do a platform RPG", well I'm sorry, but they really do need a kick in the ar$e.

Finally, here's the thought of the day...

Quote: "
I hear I forget,
I see I remember,
I do I understand...
"

Just my two-pennies worth...!

-----

~ J ~
PsychoHoseBeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " @PsychoHoseBeast

The post containing most of the information you need is contained in a sticky at the top of the newcomers forum."

you sure about that? - the links in the post you refer to for the tutorials don't go anywhere... perhaps one of the "moderators" would be so kind as to stop policing the boards like a bunch of predators, remove the feet from their mouths and sort out the post that the majority of "newbies" are being directed to.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 13:19 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2003 13:28
Quote: "perhaps one of the "moderators" would be so kind as to stop policing the boards like a bunch of predators,"

The FAQ is being done by someone else, and in their own time - which means it could take a while...

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 13:45
... perhaps a little courtesy wouldn't go amiss either. All the mods are volunteers doing this for free, and we all police these boards as little as possible - we are hardly ever reversed by Rich. If you feel that we do over-police these forums, then you are free to use other forums instead.

I've just dropped a message to RPGamer asking him to update his post. Do you know what? No-one had reported that any of the links were broken until now. If we're not told it's broken, we can't fix it.

@TCA, he means RPGamers post at the top of the newcomers forum.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 13:45
@PsychoHoseBeast

This thread contains all you need to get started, a moderator did sort it out, so leave the attitude elsewhere.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=13351&b=7

BLUE GUI Plugin: http://blue.robert-knight.net / BLUE IDE [href]http://blueide.sf.net/ - Replacement editor for DBPro[/href]
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 13:51
ahhh...

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
PsychoHoseBeast
Years of Service
User Offline
I have left the attitude at the doorstep for now, but the links I have cut and pasted from that newcomers thread still do not work....

Any ideas???

Here is a tutorial on making a good game, along with some dbp commands.

http://www.darkbasic.com/create/bm_tutorials/
Here's another good tutorial
http://www.darkbasic.com/create.php?f=3d_tutorials_index.php
And here is the guide to just about every command in DBP
http://www.realgametools.net/glossary/index.php3?theme=1&level=2&document_id_select=3
http://www.matedit.com/ Some great beginners tutorials by TDK_Man. Just click tutorials on the left hand side.
Remeber, if you're new, just try to at least go through these tutorials, experiment on your own before you ask for help.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 20:52
tgc changed the site address so the 1st 2 of those links can now be found at
http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?f=tutorials

the 3rd one won't work anymore because real game tools was shut down, which sucks.

http://www.matedit.com
still works fine, just click on the tutorials button on the left hand side of the page

also checkout the W.I.P FAQ
http://redeye.dbpcommunity.com/faq.htm
not complete but getting there, all the links should work aswell

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 22:47 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2003 22:48
To clear up some things...

Quote: "RPGamer - Yellow, and the rest of the DB Community "

The rules were made by RPGamer. Everything down from there was typed by me in an earlier post, with my and the community's input.
I apologize for not informing RPG of the down links, for that was my responsibility. Most of them should be the same, but contact me/RPG if they're down.

Quote: "the 3rd one won't work anymore because real game tools was shut down, which sucks."

There's really no need you need this anyway. You have your manual, and built in manual for all the commands. I only posted it because I thought it was necessary, and an easy refrence at the time. But thanks for noting that Red_Eye, I completely forgot about that.

Finally...

I think this is getting ridiculous. If you can't help anyone, don't say anything. If they've made a bad Team Request DON'T say a word to them. They'll eventually figure out they've done a poor job, maybe get curious and read one of the 6 stickies. If they can't learn on their own, then they really have no right to start a team and lead a group of people.

I really think there should be a 1 month member before making a team request rule. This would stop nearly 60% of the bad team requests.

Quote: "All the mods are volunteers doing this for free"

Key words there.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 22:54
@Divide By Zero

"I hope you wasn't referring to me mouse."

That post was by Arrow.

" Also concerning the way I treat newbies... I treat them the same as everyone else.. if I think someone is stupid then I say so."

I don't think everyone else treats Newbies that way else this thread wouldn't exist.

"I speak my mind and if you don't like it then you'll have to learn to deal with it."

I take it you don't believe in politeness then?

"I can also be somewhat eccentric too,"

Really? You seemed rather normal to me.

"I'm not going to change my personality for you or nobody else mouse"

I don't believe Arrow was implying that you do. There is no personality change involved with being polite on a forum.

"you know the old saying - you can please some people some of the time, but you can't please everyone all of the time. "

True.

"Besides mouse, are all your mates like mirrors to you ? they only think, say and do what you do ?"

Where exactly in Arrow's post did he suggest that everyone be the same? I think you're taking this the wrong way, DBZ.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 22:55 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2003 22:56
@Divided By Zero
Quote: "I hope you wasn't referring to me mouse"

Mouse?

[Edit] Oh well, I's too late again. [/edit]

Me, I'll sit and write this love song as I all too seldom do
build a little fire this midnight. It's good to be back home with you.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 22:58
@Divide By Zero

I don't think Arrow was referring directly toward you, so let's not make this in argument for the sake of arguing.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 23:21 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2003 23:24
Quote: "If certain newbies that have no idea how to program at all then they shouldn't be buying darkbasic"

(i know this is not completely true in my case but)

i am a neewbie here but not to programming, i don't see why someone like me who has only learnt how to program pascal shouldn't go and buy db to allow them to do more interesting and creative things and improve their programming ability, what people like me need really is a small section somewhere where we can find out how you would do something that they did in pascal (or any other common learning language for that matter) in db, just to get the basics more quickly than starting from sctatch.
it's much easier to start off knowing that (i know these are obvious but there are more complex examples):
writeln ('x'); === print "x"
readln (y); ==== input y
write (y,' '); ___ }print y;" "; (which on screen= (y value) (a value))
write (a); ----- }print a
etc.
just to get you started

AMD duron 1.3G, 640Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 23:25
only problem with that is not everyone used pascal before, and if you did it for pascal people would ask for all the other languages so you'd be converter c to db, asm to db ect etc

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 00:06
I think that people are starting to take things a bit too seriously and personally ...

Now, where's an animated, exasperated looking roly-eyed smiley when you need one? Oh well, this one will have to do ...
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 00:57
and

look too similer.

is my smilie

I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 01:10
Quote: "PsychoHoseBeast"

My mistake, I had some of those pages cached in offline mode. Looks like they point to the wrong place now.

I'll see what I can do about updating it.

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 01:17
@Divide By Zero

"Yeah I got the name wrong, sorry for that mistake."

It happens.

"And yeah I always do seem to take things the wrong way...maybe because other people take things far too seriously and don't know how to laugh."

Glad I'm not one of those serious people. Else I wouldn't be able to do this

"They seem to think being mature means being serious all the time and being an 'ideal' of humankind when it's all fake crap."

Okay.

"Since when does eccentric mean not normal ?"

eccentric \ik-`sen-`trik, ek-\ adj deviating from an established pattern or accepted usage or conduct syn abnormal

"(I am sane)"

Then I'm afraid you misunderstand the meaning of the word. Unless of coarse you mean I'm talking to your other personality. Well, that would be different then.

" and I did say I can be eccentric, not necessarily all the time.. "

I see. Split personalities. Poor soul.

" anyway it was me that put that bounty on your head neophyte mwuhahah!"

I'll remember that.

"anything anyone says can be taken any number of different ways..it all depends on your perspective."

This is very true.

"For a good example look at raven's posts.. I always used to take them the wrong way and look where it got me.. into flame wars all the time."

If it makes you feel any better, I think that you are taking raven's posts the right way. It's just raven that is taking you the wrong way. He does have a bit of temper.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 01:58
Okay folks, I have posted a new thread in the Newcomers forum with advice and links to tutorials etc. for newbies. Hope this helps.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 06:06
erm, multiple personalities is classified as Multiple Personality Disorder, whereas Schizophrenia is something completely different and highly debilitating, although in some instances contains a subset of a MPD-like phase. Then there is early onset, late onset etc; - my college Psych courses are coming back to me - oh no! I almost majored in Psych.

-RUST-
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 07:21
My sister was but the teacher was into chemical psych, so she bailed. After seeing her big bro go balistic due to two drugs interacting with eachother (both prescribed by the same quack) you kinda lose faith in chemical terrapy for treatment of metal illness.

PsychoHoseBeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Okay folks, I have posted a new thread in the Newcomers forum with advice and links to tutorials etc. for newbies. Hope this helps.
"

Cheers Rob K!

As a side note, its interesting how people are either classed, or class themselves as newbies...
Perhaps people could ask themselves what exactly is a newbie? - new to programming? - new to DarkBasic? new to this board? new to internet chatboards?
I was irritated to see one person (clearly not a newbie) post on here that he just ignores what he considers to be newbie posts. Lets just hope he doesn't need the help of what he considers to be a newbie - they'll probably ignore him.

Surely what this forum is all about is building a community, all striving for the same thing - i.e. to make DB / DBPro the best 3D games language around.

** climbs off soapbox and saunters off to do something useful **
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 10:47
Newbie is souly attitude. Being unrealistic and impatient are it's chief quilities. After one learn what's within there means and start woirking towards it they cease being newbies.

PsychoHoseBeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, thats good. Because I am a programmer, know my limits, know how to spec design & code software that must mean I am not a newbie.

Hurrah!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:36:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:36:31