Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NaGaCreMo / Legend of Zelda [2014]

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 23:07 Edited at: 30th Jan 2014 02:46
Remake of the original NES game using AppGameKit tier 1.

I've spent most of my recent time building the editor, which let's me draw the map, add/edit caves (which is like 60 or so), and add triggers. Triggers are moveable objects that reveal secret passages. When adding a new cave, you can set whether you need a bomb or the candle to access it.

I'm going to rework how the caves are stored in the game which will cut down on the map's file size.

Here's the editor. Crude and simple, but it gets the job done and beats making updates by hand.

Video clip (nevermind the background music)

When I rewrote this, I simplified the map scrolling a great deal. It worked smoothly and and required much less code. However, I now see why it was more complex originally because now adding the secret zones (access the graveyard) is proving more challenging. I may have to rewrite a map scrolling code.

I already know I can't get this 100% complete by the deadline, but that was never my goal. What I do hope to finish is the entire overworld, as in all weapons/items functional, all caves accessible, and enemies. The dungeons are last on the list and while I might be able to get started, I just won't have the time to build all of them.

Jan 29, 2014
I'm rewriting the cave code because it's becoming too hard to manage in its current state. There are just too many variables that affect the behavior of the cave to condense it all into a single entity.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 02:48
Ever thought to yourself that no matter how many times you rewrite the same code to optimize it, you can always improve it again? I seem to be constantly refining the same chunk of code. The longer I stare at it the more patterns I see that can be simplified and condensed.

Anyway, I've implemented the secret zones. They won't be added to the editor because there are only two in the game and the time to write the code into the editor isn't worth the time I'd otherwise spend simply writing a few numbers by hand.

French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 20:03 Edited at: 28th Jan 2014 20:04
Wow, really nice work there! (Links seems faster in original version.)
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 03:32
Today's progress has been very slow. Every time I add something, another thing breaks. I feel like I've been running in circles on this project all day.

French, I noticed that too when I loaded up the emulator earlier today. That's the easiest thing for me to fix, just gotta change one number.

I updated the cave code and somehow broke other random parts of it.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 17:02
Quote: "Ever thought to yourself that no matter how many times you rewrite the same code to optimize it, you can always improve it again? I seem to be constantly refining the same chunk of code. The longer I stare at it the more patterns I see that can be simplified and condensed."
]

Story of my life. My code keeps tying itself in knots. It's almost as if the more I try to abstract it the worse it gets.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2014 17:49
So, no news on this Phaelax?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2014 03:39
Nothing new, got sidetracked with other projects after the deadline.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 17:38:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 17:38:56