Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Big ass monsters

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 07:09 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2014 13:27

This is a non-target based action-rpg but it focuses more on the action rather than an actual story. Yes, there are elements here that would be expected in any rpg game, such as character improvement through experience gain and leveling up - as well as gear progression that increases your damage output or decreases your damage received. Also consumables that give you buffs, or enemy attacks that give you debuffs - you probably get the idea: think about a mmorpg, but in solo mode ..and without a story >.<
However, what I really want to accomplish is to make a game where player skill is the most decisive part in whether or not the player can progress further. If you can not learn how to play your selected class you will fare poorly. If you can not memorize enemy attack animations, and if you are unable to react accordingly to tactics or similar you will ultimately die. Survival is not gear-dependent (although better gear will help you) but rather your interaction with the world is the key. Can you dodge a big ass monster in time before he stomp you flat on your head? YOU PROBABLY COULD IF YOU WANTED TO LIVE!
Anyway, I hope to make this as difficult as possible to play to lure you away so you never come back - or you will fight through and feel an epic sense of achievement when you finally kill a boss.. or all of them

That is why I must say that this game is not for everyone.

Current version
Pre-alpha vBam12 (2014.March.23)

I have planned two classes: one melee and one ranged. Because I have always hated mage class, there is no magic class in this game. You can play warrior or archer. Following is a brief description of these classes:

Warrior
If you select to play a warrior, then you are probably thinking that it should be easy to play a sword wielding class that can dodge easily. WRONG

Archer
If you select to play an archer, then you are probably thinking that a ranged class who can enter a shadow realm to avoid damage as well as place traps and control a crowd of mobs should be easy. WRONG.

Youtube
[link] 16MAR2014 - progress after 2 months
[link] 27JAN2014 - progress after 2 weeks

Tools / Credit

IS that a game, a program, or 3 year old drawing.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 07:09 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2014 13:28
Progress
Quote: "
=complete|=incomplete|=module written|=current focus
Core
TopGUI ui
SQLITE database
Newton physics
Time slicing for equal performance on any fps
Inventory system
Abilitybar for player
linked effects (buffs)
effects & player (de)buff bar

Items
Gear, equip gear (stat relations)
Consumable Items & (de)Buff relations

Player & NPC
Basic player movement & player object orientation
Camera control
Player abilities + refined player movement
Warrior and Archer
[?]Gender locked class
Actor has proper stat increase based on gear/buff
Quest related crap, eg. quest log
Patrols and player interact
Trash-mob and Boss AI

Combat
COMBAT!! (note: also include damage/heal numbers to be displayed on screen)
[?]Target info (note: it's not target based, but some statistic like how much hp is left on attacked mob would be nice?)

Graphics
Concept arts for monster and player and npc
3D Modelling
3D Animating

Scrapped ideas
Gear affect player appearance
Gathering
Crafting items"

Changelog
Pre-Alpha:

Online Bugtrack

Picture from editor

Attachments

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 15:06
Looks like you have a good start on an editor and menu system.
Are you using a plugin for your menus?

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 20:51
@ Lukas W,

Looks good - you've put a lot of thought in to the editor and background data.

May I ask, what format are you storing and accessing data in?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 06:34 Edited at: 25th Feb 2014 18:47
Stab in the Dark software,
I am using D3D_Plugin for fast text draw, and Advanced 2D for fast 2d image and shape drawing. Currently with all windows opened (including new Profile window) my pc handle ok at ~300 fps that is on a 5 year old laptop. Additionally, that is part of a system that I called BAM_Ui (which is essentially a simple gui system). Speaking of fps, the game uses time-slice calls for equal performance on all fps's - even CurveValue calculations no longer cause problems.

Duffer,
My editor store data as .ini files for easy read. But it will automatically encrypt (or decrypt) files so that the player can not cheat. The only problem I found so far using this method is excessive opening and saving on same file will cause encryption to run wild and eventually that file will take many seconds to open even though it might just contain ten lines of data. Basically what I am trying to say is that if you need to edit an existing debuff (just because those are the only things working so far) then to be safe it is better to delete it first and make a new one.

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 19:41 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 19:24
I am feeling generous and decided to share my inventory so far. It is coming along nicely but nowhere near finished (hence this free source ;D)

You will need Advanced2D to compile.

It probably don't make a lot of sense, but it feels like I wrote a short story after all that commenting so hopefully it will make some sense >.>

Attachments

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 21:50 Edited at: 29th Jan 2014 21:55
@ Lukas W,

(shameless plug) - you could think about using SQLITE3 - I've written a plugin to support it...?

I am currently in the (very long drawn out) process of creating a rather sizable database to support a classic rpg of sorts... anyway, that's the idea...

The database covers all the constructive stuff (not the world but everything else) so far like races, attributes, skills, materials, items, weapons, armour etc etc. Once you get going and thinking about what useful info you want to store against everything it quickly becomes MASSIVE.

SQLITE has been invaluable - although I've mainly been entering data on custom forms on MS Access and then porting it over to SQLITE3.

The data retrieval and updating is darned fast... once you get to grips with SQL and the SQLITE variants it is just so very flexible...

And SQL is so easy to learn.

Just a thought.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 01:28 Edited at: 25th Feb 2014 18:48
That is a good idea! I have used mySQl on several occasions for my php projects, and would like to experiment with sql in darkbasic - but it never occurred to me to have a look if a plugin existed. It will require some rewrite in my game code and result in delay until next game update post in this thread (I was hoping to start work on item -> buff relations soon and especially the ability to use items/gear pieces - but it can wait). After all, I think using a proper database system will benefit me a lot.

But I wonder: I know for example that in order for odbc to work, the user will need libraries installed and was wondering if this was the case with sqlite3 as well, or if everything is included with the compiled .exe so that the user does not need to make anything other than unzip game and play.

Edit:
After searching your profile for the plugin, and after downloading and install, I discovered that sqlite uses only a small .dll file that I can place in project folder and the database is locally managed on my disk. This is a nice feature which will suit me well.

Attachments

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 19:03
@ Lucas W,

Exactly - and as far as I am aware, no dependencies.

My SQLITE3 (3.7) is not bug free though. I'll reply to your other query in that other thread.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 13:51 Edited at: 9th Feb 2014 13:51
I needed something other to do than working out sql database

Quick 1st draft at warrior class. I am not sure at this point if there will be male and female of both class - my original plan was for gender locked class (where warr is female and archer is male).

Still need lots of work here, I don't even know what props to put on her yet >.< so far it is very generic character design not really worth a showcase. But who cares, I just don't want this thread to lock from time-out

Attachments

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 15:06
Is the one on the bottom right the warrior leaping therough the air to swack someone...

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 18:25 Edited at: 9th Feb 2014 18:25
Quote: "Is the one on the bottom right the warrior leaping therough the air to swack someone... "

Yea! I want to make warrior a very fast animated class with lots of leaps and quick movements. As a player when you select warrior that is because of her unique play style compared to archer ^^

Still WIP but slowly that char come to life!

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 18:29 Edited at: 9th Feb 2014 18:29
And one more img of quick sketch

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 09:19
Quite interesting; I like looking at concept sketches for games.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 17:27 Edited at: 25th Feb 2014 18:50
I like looking at concept arts and sketches as well, but since I am in no way a talented artist I rarely showcase my work at all, but for this project I feel that it is important since so much work needs to be done before actually "staring on the game". I mean that with what I am working on, showcasing a screenshot of something new would essentially look exactly the same like any other screenshot. >.> In that logic, a little bit of artwork (even if it's bad) is more enjoyable to watch!

I now have a general idea of what I want warrior to look like, and will draw some sketches with different cloth styles to earn some input and maybe some pointers. That, in turn leads into the subject: if gear should affect character appearance in any way. and to be fair I did not plan that feature at all.. Maybe if enough feedback is suggesting it to be added (once playable demo is ready) I'll look into it then.

Anyway, I finally managed to fully implement SQLite 3 into this game and will look into (de)buff groupings next (for example @increasePower should overwrite @increaseDefense). And after this I will implement the finished inventory module that I wrote earlier this month.

One more thing: since I recently started a new job my time allowed to dedicate in this game has shortened a lot. And most likely I will only be in the mood to work on this during weekends

Attachments

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 22:57
@ Lukas W,

Glad you have implemented SQLITE3 in to your project such that it works.

I've posted a further update and will keep at it with SQLITE3.

Say what you like but you're a better artist than I. My attempt at those sketches would look like a chimpanzee had attempted it after consuming two bottle of vodka and being poked in both eyes.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 11:40 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 19:25
Here is screenshot from profile window. It's not much, but it's some progress today at least!

Duffer,
lol, I would like to see that somehow >.< Anyway I mean that in the 7years since I made my first drawing with a tablet on pc I have not improved much - if at all (sure I've learned how to utilize photoshop and mangastudio in these years, but human anatomy and perspectives are still way off at times)

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 16:27 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 19:23
My line art is very bad, and would probably be better to post the sketch.. However, since my sketch of this was confusing to understand details I decided to make lineart instead..

It is probably finalized look on warrior. During the design I entered 6 different looks for warrior, but settled for this one in the end!

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 19:35
Looks great

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 10:59 Edited at: 16th Feb 2014 11:03
Thanks Chris.
I'm currently working on front/back view for 3d modelling reference. Some appearance changes might occur during that time if I notice some stuff that don't look right. As for the ropes and stuff on the armor, that can (probably) be done easily using simple DBPro plains and let Newton handle physics - no need to animate or model them I hope, since that would look weird.

Today I was looking through my list and edited/added consumable items planned for the game (heavily inspired by Tera); I am close to finishing the (de)buff module that it was about time to look into this again since I want to finally combine the inventory -> item -> buff relation.

This list is still not final since I will need to actually play the game and test the difficulty in order to determine cooldowns, durations and stat increases >.<

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 11:40 Edited at: 16th Feb 2014 11:55
@ Lukas W,

Love this sort of thing - sadly - but not as easy as it looks when you come to implement the data in the game...

Looking at that data, how are you storing away a field which includes commas? Are you switching commas for another ascii character in those fields? When you are storing durations as "5min" or say "5sec/30min" are you then just parsing the strings in the game?

[edit]

With that YouTube demo after 2 days, are you using Advanced2D/TopGUI for your GUI? If yes, thought about altering fonts etc?

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 12:10 Edited at: 16th Feb 2014 12:16
Oh no - this is just a list so I remember what to add later. Formatting was made such, that it is easy to read for a human.

For example this item:
Healing Elixir | Heal HP | 80 → 2132 | 1sec/12sec
I then know what I need to add in sqlite database, and then the game will store this in array:

Will have a relevant (de)buff stored in array something like that:
DEBUFFDATA( id ).Name = "Healing Elixir I"
...Effect = "Current HP"
...Amount = 80
...Update = "every"
...PerSec = 1
...Duration = 12

Up to a tier 6 (at least for now)
DEBUFFDATA( id ).Name = "Healing Elixir VI"
...Effect = "Current HP"
...Amount = 2132
...Update = "every"
...PerSec = 1
...Duration = 12

And for your question, even without sql function, I know in PHP there was a command "explode" that will pick apart a string using a delimeter and store it in an array. I am sure there is a command like that in Matrix1 dll somewhere. So even if that data would be read from this file, then it should not be difficult to read it at all. example:

But yea, it is just a list I wrote in notepad. That will later be stored in sqlite database and from here the game reads stored data.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 12:16 Edited at: 16th Feb 2014 12:20
@ Lukas W,

Understood.

Yes, I created a plugin using regular expression-style coding to 'explode' strings for dicerolls (it's on the DLL forum section).

Used regular expressions for the sake of speed.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208786&b=18

Then I started to wonder whether it wouldn't be easier and faster just to express some period or range as between x integer and y integer...

[edit]

Also, did you use TopGUI etc for the GUI?

[further edit]

p.s. just spotted the utterly school-boy error in my sqlite plugin - so think I will shortly be able to sort that sqlite get table name command...

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 12:32 Edited at: 16th Feb 2014 12:35
I didn't use TopGUI, although for some time I have been thinking about maybe start using it. I am using custom coded gui from D3D_Plugin for fast 2d text and Advanced2D for fast 2d draw.
Although this "far" into development I need more functionality from the gui but really too lazy to optimize and add new gadgets (like scrolling and tabs).
So in the near future I may swap to TopGUI yep.

Edit: I wrote somewhere in this thread that currently with all windows opened (and ui enabled) it perform at ~300 fps. I hope that TopGUI will run faster than this though. (ui disabled I run at nearly 2k fps.. but hey there is nothing in the game except two cubes and some player movement based physics >.> )

Nice work with sqlite, hopefully you can fix that bug

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 20:57 Edited at: 16th Feb 2014 20:58
Some updates:

- Finished (de)buff grouping, where buffs/debuffs from same group overwrite eachother. For example Power buff overwrite Endurance buff and vice versa.

- Adjusted calculation for "final stat", added new stat x_modifier where x = any stat (such as attack, defense, impact, etc.) What it means is basically gear and buffs are more powerful than before (>.< although I don't want to make this game gear-dependent)

- Started playing around with TopGUI since I need additional functionality from my current GUI that I neglected so far to code. There is also the issue with memory management (where TopGUI is superior).

Attached is screenshot of new gui work in progress - since I need to adjust a few stuff in TopGUI such that it suit my needs. Not much to see here yet though

Maybe tomorrow I can find time to continue working on this project. Or in "worst case" scenario I will be back Friday!

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 19:49 Edited at: 17th Feb 2014 19:49
Using TopGUI I'm beginning to wonder why I even bothered to write my own gui >.< TopGUI is very well made!

Progress today is:
- made topgui windows: profile, keyboard
- as of yet there is no interaction other than default topgui functionality (for example you can not edit keybindings yet, and stats in profile windows are just random string values)
- mouse cursor image (is wip)

Not a lot done, but at least it was something made today.

Attachments

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 19:55 Edited at: 17th Feb 2014 22:20
Looking gooood.... Would love to see it with a themed font etc.?

[edit]

Never give up! Never surrender! - I've released a new version of my SQLITE Plugin - hopefully fixed that stupid TABLE NAME function and added 18 new commands as well... May be useful for you with your project.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 16:24
What do you mean by themed font, do you mean like using sprite images as font?
Great, I will look at your sqlite plugin update!

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 17:43
@ Lukas W,

Actually just meant a different standard font played through Advanced2D/TopGUI... but bitmap fonts are great too...

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2014 00:30
I will probably use bitmap font only for combat damage text that is visible in game mode.. because no doubt it will be faster than dbpro text commands >.< But other than this I don't plan any other font changes.
However, if that [link] is compatible with advanced2D I may search for a nice font to use on gui!

Progress today:
- rewrite keybind module

and that was all I did

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2014 11:56
Hi, here is another update!

Progress today:
- Automatically store window positions (when you start game they spawn at last position)
- Toggle HP/MP as % or Full
- Automatically store changes in options if it notice a change (before: needed to press button "store" to save changes)
- Removed "store" button from options window
- Slider to adjust Camera speed, various audio settings
- Button to reset gui at default position (could also delete settings.ini for complete reset of game settings)
- Fixed text aligns in profile window player stat tabs
- Toggle output "current fps" on or off
- Removed 10 keybinds (still in code, just commented out) because at this point I am still not sure how many abilities a player will have.. 13 slots could be enough but we will see. If for example I add functionality to store items on an ability bar then I will add again the removed keybinds to the game for more slots.

Working on:
- Adjust align for (de)buff listing as either Down, Up, Left, Right.

Remaining:
- Reset keybindings to default (can't believe I forgot to add that when I rewrote module yesterday)
- implement this gui into game

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2014 12:48 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 19:22
And more concept art.

It's one of the bosses, here at stage 1. You need to kill that npc and its "true" appearance appear, but that art will be for another time

*Note that colors are not final

At this point I am not sure if it will be an adult (colored) or child (b&w'd). What do you think?

Edit:
edited image to include another drawing

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2014 16:12 Edited at: 1st Mar 2014 16:12
Begin work on item editor:

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2014 19:49 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 19:25
I\'m balancing my time playing Thief and working on this game.. Couple that with work and I have very little time to work on this

Some changes to layout, and can link (de)buff to item.

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2014 20:45 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2014 20:45
Progress this weekend:
- Create/Edit/Delete Items
- items can give static stat increase, or link to a (de)buff
- begin implement into game
for now, MouseClick=1 will summon 5 random items from database, assign dbpro object and physicsbody. Only for debugging feature but kind of cool to simulate where an npc die and he drop items

Hopefully next weekend I will be able to finally implement the inventory module!

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2014 17:37 Edited at: 7th Mar 2014 17:38
I'm back again for this weekend game dev!

Currently not sure what effect I want to apply on items/friendly npc when player try to interact with it. Any suggestions? Here are mine so far (currently I use effect A, although looks very bad since I did not bother with appearance):

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2014 17:40 Edited at: 7th Mar 2014 17:40
Hmm, I like having arrows or some kind of symbols over NPCs personally; and circles or boxes around targets. Smoke might look part of the world a tad bit much.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2014 00:52 Edited at: 8th Mar 2014 00:53
I agree with you that some kind of smoke would look out of place. Arrow or other symbol above entity would not suit well either, I think.

Maybe if npc/item becomes highlighted while effect A is in work would be a nice solution.

Or maybe this effect E type where effect A along with vertical lines in cylinder shape (animated):

Attachments

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Ye, Circle or some kind of combination.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 00:59 Edited at: 9th Mar 2014 01:08
I'm having trouble with sqlite at the moment, so it is useless to add more items into game since editor keeps crashing. I have spent a lot of the time today trying to figure out why and any if there are any workarounds. Yep, there was - but then editor crashes because of another sqlite query somewhere else. So I am considering maybe to swap back for a file based system like it used to be.. At least then there was no problems, just some file encryption issues which should not be too hard to solve. But anyway, we shall see what the future brings.

Progress so far:
- implemented inventory module finally (need some tweaks later for example to display required level and other stuff)
- pick up items from ground
- drag, drop, and sort items in inventory
- dropped items will appear again as 3d mesh in the world, along with its newton body

Edit:
By the way that inventory module is free for grabs here [link] if you are interested

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 08:19
Good to see you sticking to it regardless of crashes; crashing of my programs is a part of my daily life now. I used to get upset, but now when an error message crops up I say to myself 'Ah how cute, it is a crash'. Then I go into debug phase and run test code to pin point the command or configuration at fault.

I highly recommend logging you program flow to file so that you can see what it is up to in the backend; if you are not doing so already. A gem for when you need to track bugs remotely.

I hope you continue working on this and not give up like many people do. Sometimes a faulty plugin or algorithm leads you to discover a better idea; which tends to be dropping an unnecessary feature or using a tool in an unconventional yet creative way.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 12:32
@ Chris Tate & Lukas W,

This is my bad. It's my SQLITE plugin which is fouling things.

It is in alpha but I'll work on it today. Even if I have to create a workaround command just for Lukas W and this excellent project.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 13:01 Edited at: 9th Mar 2014 13:27
@ Lukas W,

Latest build for SQLITE plugin attached - span it out but give it a whirl.

[edit]

only seems like a partial solution - goes fine til you move to the next record row and then ok with integer but then spoils...?

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 13:23 Edited at: 10th Mar 2014 14:15
I have finished work early today so decided to spend an additional day on this game

Chris Tate,
Thanks for the tip. I have started to implement the console module from Matrix1 library. So far it has been a great method for live debugging. Eventually I will implement that into the game also (currently only in editor) and make some external check for enable/disable so that a player can debug by himself if he wants to without recompiling.. lol

Duffer,
No problem friend. It seems to be a very confusing issue where you and me both have no clue what is going on But in the meantime I am now using a file based write/read. It was not difficult to swap method really since I spent only 30min so far on that.. But once this problem was solved I will go back for sqlite (and maybe write an converter from file->sqlite for even faster swap)

Files are currently stored like so, and is easy to modify without use of editor:

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 17:33 Edited at: 10th Mar 2014 17:33
Ok I don't have more time. Here is the latest changes and additions from this weekend:

EDITOR
New Features:
* Create/Edit Items

GAME
New Features:
* Support custom font from image file (used for combat damage numbers when that time comes)
* Targeted interactable entity is visualized by an ugly circle
* Targeted interactable entity will cause text pop-up, for example item: "Press [F] to pick up"
* Inventory - Pick up, Drop, Drag & reposition, Sort Items
* Entities are now dynamically managed for improved memory management
* Added error message module. for example, is visible when trying to pick up item and inventory is full
* Unusable items are dimmed out in a red-ish tint

Attachments

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2014 06:58 Edited at: 12th Mar 2014 07:05
I feel you on the GUI. I don't see any that I particularly like atm b/c they are too constricting for my needs so I decided to create my own as well and will be releasing it to everyone at the end of this part of my project.

It also includes radians, checkboxes, and scrollbars which all work flawlessly as far as I know. Its 12k lines of code just for the gui.

EDIT: Here's another displaying the dropbox and scrollbar, you can't see the mouse, but its clicking on the bottom half of the scrollbar

EDIT AGAIN: All images are interchangeable, you are not required to use this gui design, you can use your own
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2014 17:41 Edited at: 12th Mar 2014 17:41
pictionaryjr,
Thanks for the offer, but I already use TopGUI (by Diggsey) which so far I am very pleased with. And it is also very customizable that even adding custom gadgets was not a difficult task. 12k lines of code is a bit much though for a gui. My current line count for game is nearly 10k (with topgui) and compiling takes a year and two days.. I think better not swap for a larger library >.<

As for updates,
Today I found spare time and reworked a little bit the inventory:
* Added separator line in item preview window
* Now display required level on item preview window
* Reworked inventory for faster draw performance (over 200fps gain on my pc)
* Now display item cooldown (if eligible) in item preview window

For next post update I hope to have made some gear items and especially the ability to use items/equip gear. I am also considering that only one group "consumable" is too small. I might need more groups "potion", "scroll", etc. So that when sorting inventory the items end up in a predictive pattern. Lastly I need to modify sorting to consider name of item as well (or some other constant).

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 21:21 Edited at: 14th Mar 2014 21:23
Progress today:
* [Consumable group removed] Consumable items now stored as group depending on type (scroll, potion, etc..) for better sorting
* Display static stat from item (gear), optionally display item description if applicable

Let's see what tomorrow brings

Edit:
that item in particular (image) looks like this in file format

Attachments

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 14:09 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 14:14
Added cooldowns [link]

Edit:
I think after inventory module is completely implemented that there will be some optimization and code cleaning to do >.<
Particularly the hundreds (exaggerated) of array( array( array().id ).id ).id calls that could be avoided.. 200fps is not what I was after, although my pc not so good anyway.

Attachments

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 14:42
I like the use of colour in the icons, cooldowns etc - a distinct style if you can keep it consistent throughout development....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:23:09
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:23:09