throughout the last months I've more or less constantly been working on an "engine", or rather a set of libraries which are quite handy when developing 2D games in DBPro. Among them is a tilemap handler, a culling library (sort of quad-tree like), shader effects, lighting, particles, camera behaviour and stuff like that.
I'm not sure if this is a proper WIP post as it's not really a single project I'm trying to finish, but rather a set of functions that I keep reusing over and over for all the games I make.
Anyway, I compiled a video demonstrating many of the effects using a simple tech demo as well as two of the games I made for game jams last year: The King's Profit
, a pseudo 8-bit exploration game I developed together with xCatalyst (who created all the sprites as well as the game's amazing soundtrack) - we made it within 48 hours for Indie Speed Run and it even was voted to be one of the finalists - and Animal Liberation Turbo
, a stealth game I made for last year's Charity Game Jam. Both are very different in their art design, but using much of the same code.
Everything in this video was made in DBPro. I used several plugins, most notably Advanced Sprites, Advanced 2D, Image Kit and d3d Func.
There's obviously still enough room for improvement - for instance tree shadows moving with the sun during the day/night cycles, or general anti-aliasing, and of course better textures and animations. However, looking back at my creations just 18 months ago I'm really quite satisfied.
Let me know what you think - and if there's anything that totally needs to be added.