Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / where is my data?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2014 01:48
My agk app works great on my Samsung galaxy s3 (android 4) but I cannot not find where it is storing data. It storing it somewhere, my changes are always saved. The same apk installed on my older LG phone (android 2) stores the data in a directory on the s d card called agk template. i have even ran file searches but cannot find it on the galaxy. Anyone have any ideas?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2014 04:16
Different devices sort of put it different places.

The hard part is that some devices, like yours (which I have), don't make it easy to find the file. Apps that let you look at the "directories" don't always show all paths. The searches won't find it. On the Samsung devices, it is hidden pretty much completely. I think the only way to try to find it is to jail break the device (which I am not willing to do).

AGK writes files in the sandbox space appropriate to the platform. In Windows it is my documents\agk\<appname>. On Android, it is somewhere under the package name for the app. I have not actually been able to find it on most of my Android devices.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 17:31
On Android devices OS version 2.3 you will find them in the sdcar/agk/youAppName directory, lovely and secure...
On devices above that the data is properly stored in the app's data folder. Wish is under the root/data folder somewhere. The folder will have your app's package name (com.MyCompany.MyApp)
You will need root access to find this though.
If you do not want to root your device there are various backup tools out there that will allow you to backup all of the data on your device into a compressed file (I think tar). You can then explore that backup to find the data. While this method is slow it is a decent alternative to rooting (which is a little dangerous, can be a BIG pain, and has to be done over after a new OS update...).

An alternative to this is to build in your own system that will allow you to grab all of the files from your app's data folder on the device and send them to a server. You could easily use XAMPP for this and there is sample code in the appgamekit.com/documentation for sending files over HTTP. You can also look around and find help on reading the directories for all the files you need. This is the method we use for debugging and bug reporting in Wordspionage. It is great because we have a handful of devices and testers. None of them need rooting/jailbreaking. They just press a button to send the error/debug logs. I put in an automated process for this when we were testing the app so that any time a fatal error occurred it would automatically send me a log and the data files. I'd highly suggest this method.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:35:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:35:40