Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Sprite Transparency

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, so I set Color key to Pink (255, 0, 255) and it gets rid of everything but the edge of the items in the picture itself ((as you can see in the picture provided below) *also* and it is just the chair and computer/desk). Is there anyway I can get rid of that? I tried increasing the size of everything, I have tried using Photoshop Elements; CS 6 - with no success. Anyone can help?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 23:06 Edited at: 4th Mar 2014 23:08
Quote: "I tried increasing the size of everything"

my guess is that the image was already resized before you started using it which made those edges something other than pure rgb(255,0,255)/magenta. &, increasing the size will only make the edges more obvious.

i'd either manually draw those edges with magenta or select all magenta via the magic wand with enough tolerance to grab those off-color edges, delete then save as a .png image.

either way, you won't be left with the "original" image so, odds are, you'll want to do some touch-up work (or find the original images, wherever they may exist).

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.7 . Matrix1Utils 05.27.12
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 04:06 Edited at: 21st Mar 2014 07:46
It's because those edge pixels aren't perfectly pink and contain some level of the black pixels. You'll see this with images which use anti-aliasing. You're better off changing the pink background layer in your images to a transparent layer in photoshop and saving it as a PNG.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 03:53
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2014 17:20
I'm not sure how it's done in Photoshop - but in PaintShopPro9 I would select the magenta and delete it, then make a mask. With a mask, you can change the alpha channel and colour channel separately. Like, you could tidy up the alpha channel to improve the transparency - but then colour the magenta parts pure black, so there's a good edge around the sprite. Because the alpha channel will deal with the transparency, you don't want those blended shades of magenta.

There's no easy way to improve a colourkey image that has been anti-aliased, at least with a mask or split channels you can make it decent - don't waste time trying to smooth out or fix the blended magenta pixels, it'll take ages and look terrible!

I am the one who knocks...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:15:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:15:26