Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / extreme sports

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i havent got any game editors yet. i would like to know if it is possible to create a good extreme sports game (like the tony hawk's pro skater games) with any of the darkBASIC programs. and is it easy to create a game, or very complicated?
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 06:36 Edited at: 1st Dec 2003 06:43
yes you can if you have a team. you cant just make a game with
darkbasic alone. you have to make your meshes, animate, textures, maps,..... me i am a one man team . it wont be to hard. you just got to think whats hard to do then think whats easy to do.
so you need your mesh to go up a ramp. youd need to do the math.
id say its not hard purty easy.
Jaze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 07:21
What are meshes? Not Matrix - They are thier own thing right?

-=/Jaze/=-
scottiebobson
Years of Service
User Offline
i see. but i dont know what any of that stuff is. so once i get darkBASIC, i will need to get other things, too?
scottiebobson
Years of Service
User Offline
oh, and did someone already make an extreme sports game? if so, can you tell me where i can download it?
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 12:21
yes, there are lots of hidden costs with game developement...

- Model Editors
- Texture Editors
- Sound Effect Editors
- Music ?

- World Editor (for advanced projects)

But, if you are low on money, you can focus on what you can do. If you can't afford MilkShape or CShop, just use any free objects you find, animated or not. Focus on making a "fun" game with what you can find. If your game is truely fun, show it and ask for models or textures or music to "finish" it.

If your better at something other than coding, help others "finish" thier game while you learn from thier code.

internet gaming group
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 20:37
Someone did make a skateboading game once, it had a dog as the player model.
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=3424&b=5
It was posted in Dec 02 so I would guess the project is dead by know.

It would be pretty difficult to create a game as good as even the first tony hawks. It's not something you would want to do as your first game.

If you don't want to spend money it is possible to use only free tools with darkbasic.

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 12:20
Why not make a snowboarder game first, you can use a matrix and get used to character handling and collision before tackling a skateboard game. I have a plan in the back of my mind to make an X Games compilation, like the old style sports games - skateboarding, biking, surfing, and that ankle-snapping luge thing they do . I reckon a pretty special collision system would be needed, because there's parts of the level that would need grind lines, grab points, plus a nice accurate collision detection that is fast and accurate. Certainly not for the faint hearted.

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 19:17
You may want to look in to DarkBASIC pro, but be warned. You can't start out with an extreme sports game. You will need to make small test projects, and little baby games first. Once you got your skill set together then you will be ready to try a sold extreme sports game.
Best of luck!
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 03:17
if u dont like to spend money (like me ) then just download a free modeler, i like Wings3D, and Anim8or is ok too. I like DBC, but i already have it, and like i said, i dont like to spend money, so i've never really thought about ditching dbc and going to dbp...

You did what? For who?! For how many jellybeans?!?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:50:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:50:16