Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Zbrush UV questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 15:28
So, if i'm using Zbrush, and wish to UVmap a object - that I plan to retopo and paint in zbrush, how would I go about that?
Would I first UVmap the highpoly, then retopo - would I just uvmap the lowpoly? Or do I need to UVmap both? That seems silly

Cuz i'm currently working on a 3dmodel - which is primarily for anatomy exercize, but I do plan on trying to paint it in zbrush too - and trying out som UV stuff, so it would be helpful to know the process before starting on that

Whose eyes are those eyes?
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 18:25 Edited at: 17th Mar 2014 18:34
You need to uv unwrrap the low poly model, you cant do this with a model which has sub divided levels, so do it before. If your projecting from polypaint the high res model requires no uv mapping of any sort.

In other words you can retopo and uv map your low poly then sub divide to paint or project from high poly. You can also project the sub divided low poly mesh itself onto the high poly for normal mapping, AO and cavity bakes.

Normally I would start low poly then divide to high for detail simply to save time and work. I know some like to start high then retopo but never understood the logic in this extra effort unless a different edge flow were required for the high to attain certain detail. Still when your working with millions of poly's I don't see where that would come into it
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 18:31
I'm doing a highpoly - and retopoing later, but that's all "what you prefer" related ^^ IF I actually had a original concept it'd be different, but this was purely a Sculpting excersize - but i'm actually getting to that point that: You know what, I can probably pull off atleast a normal map export from this
So that's what i'm gonna aim for ~

Thanks for the answer.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 18:37 Edited at: 17th Mar 2014 18:38
As I said though you should divide your retopo mesh after uv unwrapping, then you can project the mesh onto the high poly details. This can get a bit messy and another reason I prefer to keep it all in one deal. When creating a normal map you select the lowest division and ZBrush will auto project normals from the highest division. So you need to get these details onto your retopo'd mesh.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:18:17
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:18:17