Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBPro] 3D First Person Puzzle Game (Involving Magnetism)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2014 09:36 Edited at: 8th Apr 2014 21:40
THIS GAME IS NOT YET NAMED. IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA'S, PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS!

Untitled Puzzle Game

DEVLOG: http://james-dev.tumblr.com/

[INSERT NAME HERE] is a first-person puzzle game, written entirely in DBPro, where the player must push magnetic cubes around to hit a button, which is usually on the roof. There are several different types of blocks, these are shown further down.:

The plot is that it is the year 2342, or something like that, and a large building in the Mojave desert is creating strange magnetic fields. The main character is dropped off there by aircraft, but the magnetic fields crash the plane, and he just manages to eject in time. He has to get through the facility to find out what is going on there.

Magnet - Can be pushed by player, or other magnets.
Plastic – Can be pushed by player, but not magnetic.
Repel – Can be pushed by player, magnetic, and repels other magnetic blocks away from it.
Attract – Can be pushed by player, magnetic, and attracts other magnetic blocks towards it.
Iron – Can't be moved by anything.
On most levels, there is also an electromagnet in the roof, this pulls other magnets towards it, and can be controlled with a controller block, by looking at it and pressing Q.
^All blocks are implemented, coded and working^

I may add more blocks, but no items/powerups, because I don't want to over-complicate the mechanics.

Levels are 3d models, with a simple, minimalistic environment, although a few props are used to make the levels not seem empty. 400X400, 800x800 textures are used for the maps, with 1024x1024 used for the blocks, which are 200x200 cubes created in code. This makes the texture density look good, and you cannot see the pixels if you walk into a block, like you would be able to in most FPS games.

PROGRESS

Movement, sliding collision : COMPLETE
Level loading from a file and displaying blocks : COMPLETE
Player pushing blocks : COMPLETE
All blocks working : COMPLETE
Electromagnet in roof : COMPLETE
Textures completed : Nearly done.

Level design: 1.3/35
Sounds: 0%

Basically, I have completed the entire engine, and just have to do levels, sounds, and then it is done.

SCREENSHOTS

I will do some better ones later. My GPU is screen tearing really bad, but this didn't show in the screenshots. They are 1080p, so sorry for slow loading times.

TARGET DATES

YouTube channel - 23 April 2014
Demo for playtesting (I may use this forum or reddit.com/r/playmygame for this) - 25 April 2014
Website (TLD .com or something) - 30 June 2014
Release to [Maybe Desura, or Steam Greenlight] - 5 July 2014 (Estimate, may change)
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2014 21:31
sounds interesting, but i dont think you will get much response until you post some images here in the thread, preferably with [img] tags, but at least with clickable links

JamesWalker101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2014 21:41
Quote: "sounds interesting, but i dont think you will get much response until you post some images here in the thread, preferably with tags, but at least with clickable links"

Thanks, I have added 2 images and links to new development blog.
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
Name idea = Magnetron
JamesWalker101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2014 18:29 Edited at: 10th Apr 2014 18:29
Quote: "Name idea = Magnetron "

Nice! I also got "Bohr magneton" suggested on Reddit. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr_magneton)

I'm going to ask my playtesters to decide which name is best.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:07:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:07:43