Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / help on........ everything?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hey guys im new, and,well,........ yeah that describes me pretty good. anyway, i was just wondering about a few things. A. is age 12 too young to be getting into this? my mom thinks so, yet i disagree. and B. what is _________ (insert everything)i have no clue what anything you guys are talking about is. I know u guys probably get this a lot ,but............... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks a whole bunchload

Wookiee cookies are extra chewie! (da dun tis!)

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 04:16

-RUST-
Jedi Master Jesse
Years of Service
User Offline
oh, and i forgot to introduce myself. my names jesse (kinda obvious) and i am completely new. i am a huge star wars freak, and wish to have a lot of fun with game-making. hope to learn a lot from you guys!

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 04:17 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2003 04:18
go here for a starthttp://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=21005&b=2

Good Luck

Beauty, eh?
I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
Jedi Master Jesse
Years of Service
User Offline
?

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 04:18
I forgot the link first time, sorry

I edited it

Beauty, eh?
I am mischeivious
Jedi Master Jesse
Years of Service
User Offline
is there anything i need to download before i get the dbc or dpb? like some texture thingymabobber or a 3d joodangle?

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 06:38
To get started, no. You should get everything you need to get started (models, textures and sample programs with the program. This is enough to give you a taste of what the program can do.

You won't learn everything there is right away. Once you have a feel for what it can do you can check out the tutorials.

The Dark Basic Tutorials are located at - http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?f=tutorials

The Dark Basic Pro tutorials dont walk you through making a game but instead shows you some of the engines power. they are located at http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?s=8&f=dbpro_tutorials

They are usable with the Demo Versions and you can decide where you want to go from there.

Once you do that you can start to explore the model makers available as well as alternate program editors. There are many free choices and inexpensive choices that are recomended by the experienced users here.

Wasting CPU Cycles since the 286 was a hot machine.
Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 13:56
Jedi Master Jesse,
You are not to young to get into this. Work hard and you will succeed. I starting my daughter now and she is 9-1/2.

Do you have DB or DBpro?
Note: DarkBASIC classic and DarkBASIC pro programs do not always work interchangeability. So watch which tutorials you read.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 14:03
12 isnt too young to start. I started when I was 13, and 12 isnt too far behind. Mattman just turned 13, and hes a pretty good DB user as far as I can tell.

Dont get over excited is the big thing when your young. Get this through your head first - The next big Star Wars game is not coming out of you anytime soon

Read the post at the top that Yellow and I compiled with the rest of the communities help. It has lots of free resources, and FAQ's.

Yes, there are demos of DB/P. Id look at DBP since its the better (I think) of the two, only a little more expensive. Here is the link to the demo..

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=trial

In case you dont have the cash or think that that might be too many commands to start off with (I dont agree with that theory myself) you can check out Dark Basic Classic (I started with it, only because DBP wasnt out yet )

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?f=trial

Thats the classic trial download. Pro is still being updated, so if you have the cash and confidence, go for it. Remember, each command comes with a full explanation and working example of how it works. Learn from code. Not only is there a digital manual, you also get a printed manual.

You may want to look at "The Beginners Guide to Programming with DarkBasic" as I have heard it is really good.

Remember to start small, else you will get overwhelmed, and quit. You dont want that to happen

You have the most helpful thing you could get at your fingertips - US! When you have a() question(s), first look in your manual, the tutorials and the examples and make sure its not there, and come on over here and ask. But remember to explain with detail (we hate that ) Search the forum first - it may be answered elsewhere

So, your not too young. It is a lot about maturity (IE. you dont come to the forums requesting a tutorial how to make FF12) Keep everything in contrast, dont overwhelm yourself. Start small, pretty soon youll be programming with the elite

Hope thats helpful

RPGamer

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 23:38
actually, I justed turned 12.

I am mischeivious
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 02:59
Sweet

Jedi Master Jesse
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks a whole bunch guys. and should i get dbp or dbc for starters. its my christmas present so..... i dunno whether my mom is willing to spend 89.99 as apposed to 49.99. i tell her ill want dpb sooner or later to save the money but.....

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 04:07
Go with DBP definitly. More power, and still gets updated.(Read the above stickied posts)

Just stick to it. It will be tough at times, but you'll make it eventually. In fact, one year ago from today I was asking the same questions.(Been member for 1 year now!) Now, programming is a sinch, but there's always learning. That's what makes it so fun. For now, I recommend you download the trial versions, and mess around with the tutorials they give you.

And if you need help, feel free to post at the forums. We enjoy helping, as long as your courteous.(Oh yes, and please be resourceful, there is a search button at the bottom of the pages. Many questions have been explained, and it will be faster to search, rather than wait hour(s) for someone to reply.)

Yellow

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 05:06
I forgot to celebrate my 1 year aniversary here at the forums And my 1 year of DB Programming Ill celebrate year 2!

RPGamer

skater1
Years of Service
User Offline
hey im new too im 14 and been programing for bout a month now but once you get used too it its sweet. wat i did was i bout dark matter and dark basic wich if you buy both of em then its only 10 dollars more. so y not?? it says even on the thing it comes with its ages 12 and up so ur good. o dark matter is tons of models textures and stuff the models anre animated too so its sweet but u dont have to get it cuz like ur just beggining i am just stareting to use the models now. I personaly think u should get dark matter and dark bassic cuz its only like 10 dollars cheeper but u dont need it.

tim
Scarlek
Years of Service
User Offline
Age don't matter when it comes to programming, intelligence does. I've got age on my side but I'm seriously lacking in intelligence.

- Creating Games even I would play -
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 19:12 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2003 19:13
I'll go as far to say that intelligence doesn't matter either. At its core, programming is really about word problems and basic math skills (well, for the most part - 3D math is an advanced topic you don't need to tackle until much later.)

What is important is a certain mindset. You have to learn the core commands and then use those to create solutions to problem.

For example, you want to create a chess board. Knowing about arrays and how to create them will give everything you need to know to simulation a chess board in a computer's memory. What really makes a computer program are dozen and dozens of little solutions working together to solve a bigger problem.
--
TAZ
Jedi Master Jesse
Years of Service
User Offline
hey! this is my third day of being on the forums! PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (any reason is good enough for a party)

Jedi Master Jesse
Years of Service
User Offline
hey where are the trial versions of these things? i looked in the download part of developers corner thing. they werent there. where r they?

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2003 05:07
I posted links in my first response. Look in the download sections under Dark basic pro and dark basic.

RPGamer

Jedi Master Jesse
Years of Service
User Offline
any why is no one ever in the chatroom? spamtrap tried a couple of times, but the computer kicked him out

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2003 00:20
which one are you in? irc.coolchat.net or irc.foreverchat.net

I am mischeivious
Jedi Master Jesse
Years of Service
User Offline
the one that is in the developers thingymabober

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:44:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:44:20