Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Vid cards, which will give me more bang for my buck?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 11:46 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2003 11:49
Hello,

I'll leave it simple, i've narrowed my choices down to:

ATI Radeon 9800 XT

or

Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra

So i want your opinions on which will give me better crisper cleaner graphics with next gen games.

Also i wanna know what games are being made exclussivly(spelling[its late so i know i can't spell]) for each card manufacturer.

Thanks in advance

Eric

I'm sick of Signatures
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 12:19
Personally, I'd wait until the NEW ATI comes out Mid March, but if you're desperate for a new one, then, er.....

-----

~ J ~
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 12:42
The Radeon is definately the better card out of them two.

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 14:39
Half-Life 2 is pretty ATI exclusive,
DOOM III is more of a Nvidia game.

But what are the prices on those?
The best bang for the buck would be radeon 9500 pro, cos it's almost as powerful as 9700 pro, only a lot cheaper. No wonder they got rid of it very quickly after it was launched..

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 16:46
The reason i have the choice between these two is because the guy who own's PC Nirvana (PC supply store in my area) is giving me one or the other for 85$, cause he got a few extra ordered, and since i need a new Vid card for my PC now (its running a Radeon 8500 right now... so its been a few months.

It was only when I started playing MP2 did I really start thinking I needed a new Vid Card.

I'm sick of Signatures
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 00:30
Not the 5950 then?

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 17:42
actually best bang for your buck is the FX5700 ultra, a good $80 cheaper than the 9600XT and faster infact is almost as fast as the FX5900 ultra.
no doubt the reason for nvidia giving IBM the contract for the new FX-2 Series...

and really you should be putting the RadeonXT 9800 against the GeForceFX 5950 Ultra.
Not that the specs provided are accurate, for one the RXT is a .13 chip... add to this the FX5900ultra runs at 500mhz core, RXT at 525mhz core.

though the RXT9800 is outperforming the FX5950U right now, it is hardly by a big margin and certainly not worth the $100+ extra it costs.

not that it matters cause the new generation are much better and closer than you think.
March just before E3 nvidia are releasing the information on the new board and processors, gonna be interesting to see what ATi make of it. Matrox's new offering looks pretty good, and Sonic Blue (now S3 again, wish they'd make up thier mind) has actually just release a new card range which are actually pretty bloody quick buggers for your buck too.

Still fall short of the top spot, being as powerful and the top dogs midrange - but still shows some hope that S3 might make something more impressive for the next round ^_^

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 20:19
Liquidz, I'm sure you know from expirience...

...just...

...ignore...

...Raven when it comes to video cards .

Just compare their manufacturing process, transistor count, and core clock speed. That's all you really need. If you're not convinced yet, go read some reviews. The higher XTs pwn every single nVidia card that exists. Even Raven has to admit it, and he tries to put you off of it by price. Well, you've got the price for that baby right there-- your choice .

I will furthermore note that HL2 most definatly performs better on ATI cards .

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2003 00:57
Raven,

I'll quote myself:
Quote: "The reason i have the choice between these two is because the guy who own's PC Nirvana (PC supply store in my area) is giving me one or the other for 85$, cause he got a few extra ordered, and since i need a new Vid card for my PC now (its running a Radeon 8500 right now... so its been a few months.
"

If I wanted to know about or wanted the 5950 ultra i woulda said 5950 ultra..

Anyways, i did notice that with the Radeon I do get the advantge with HL2, but with the GeForce theres the advantage with doom 3. I do think i'll get the radeon though, just cause HL2 comes free when its released when you buy a radeon, and more people here said radeon.

Quote: "Liquidz, I'm sure you know from expirience...

...just...

...ignore...

...Raven when it comes to video cards .
"

Did you even have to remind me??

nah your a good guy, i just don't like you..(oh great here comes the "FlameBait" tag...)

I'm sick of Signatures
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2003 01:54
I don't particularly like you either, but I like money wasted even less ...

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:31:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:31:23