Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Android non-English keyboard compatibility

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 13:59 Edited at: 8th May 2014 14:00
Good day to all. So I've compiled my apps for Android and they work marvellously (hurrah AGK), aside from one thing.

As I've had problems working with the extended character set before, when this came up I wanted to hide under the bed.
Upon switching to a non-English keyboard, the game doesn't respond to extended characters. It's all functioning fine on the Windows version, and the keyboard (which is the default Android one) works as it should with other apps.

Not sure if it's related to the issue discussed here, but it seems to be:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=207674&b=41&msg=2496305#m2496305

Has anyone else run into this? I desperately need to find a solution as the games are for language learning, and I have an educational publisher awaiting the finished product. So close to having it done. Sad trombone.

I bring cats for all.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2014 07:19
I gave up on AGK's implementation of the native Android keyboard. Due to some sort of improper linking in NDK it does not work reliably on multiple devices. Our launch of Wordspionage was severely hurt by this because it requires a login.
So I made my own null-texture, sprite-based keyboard.
It has worked perfectly and allows me to do things like block illegal characters. You could fairly easily make it work with the extended chars.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=209538&b=41
I'd highly suggest this method over the native keyboard because of a great lack of stability in it. I don't fault AppGameKit for this though, it is a lot to do with NDK and various Android keyboards sending all sorts of different key codes to the interpreter. With my custom keyboard you can be sure the ASCII is WYSYWIG

Felis Astrum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2014 14:50
Thanks for your help, Naphier. When I went looking for information about the key codes I realised how problematic it might be.
Your solution looks like just the thing, I'll get to work on implementing that.

I was investigating how I can work a physical keyboard with a different language layout into it, but strangely my tablet completely ignores me when I try to switch the language settings for the physical keyboard. Which means the keycodes being sent to the game are still the English(US) ones. So that may or may not happen, but the soft keyboard will do the trick and I'm happy with that.

When I'm done I'll post what I've made in case anyone else finds it useful. There will be a German, French and Spanish version, maybe Danish also.

I bring cats for all.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2014 21:25
It'd be awesome to have some alternative languages for the keyboard. If you look at the code there is a section for recognizing hardware keycodes too, so you could ultimately add to that handling for PC/Mac and bluetooth keyboards.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 04:03:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 04:03:17