Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Why does CULL default to OFF?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a quick newbie question...shouldn't cull default to on? It was my understanding that it's mostly useful just for objects that you want to see from the inside (skybox). Wouldn't you have it on for 99% of your ingame objects? Or am I missing something?
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 19:22
Well on my system, objects CULL is ON as default for objects. You have to explicitlt turn culling off.

I think you are getting confused somewhere.

Boo!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 19:34
I thought culling is when the renderer doesn't draw polygons that are not visible to the current camera's perspective, thereby saving rendering cycles and making things better/faster?
If that's the case I guess it should be set to ON whether or not it is the default.

-RUST-
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 20:19
DirectX uses a culling technique called backface culling too. If it decides that a poly is facing away from you, it won't draw it.

It does this by checking the way the the points of the triangle rotate. If they are arranged clockwise when it comes to render them to the screen, they are drawn. Otherwise, the drawing is skipped.

So this arrangement of points would result in the triangle being drawn

A-B
|/
C

While this one wouldn't

B-A
|/
C
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 20:46
I don't know about DBC, but DBPro culling is off. If you create a plain and rotate it without doing anything else to the object, you will see both sides. Once you set Cull on on the object, and rotate it, only one of the sides will show.

Yea, it's a hassle, but unless I'm missing something you have to set cull on on every object that you want it applied to.

If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time. 806mhz AMD Athlon Processor. 384MB memory.
Windows XP Home Edition. RADEON 9700 Pro graphics card. - editor.exe=1.0.6.1 - DBPCompiler.exe=V1.05
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 21:37
dbp has automatic culling on loaded objects and matrices
dbc has it all turned off by default though i think

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 00:15
All loaded objects have culling on.

The internal objects, it depends. For the cylinder for example, culling is on, while for the plane, it is off.

Position the camera inside a cylinder and you'll see
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2003 06:53
From my experience I always thought the all of the default settings for an object were set to 1:

set object objectnum,1,1,1,1,1,1,1
This should be the default as far as I know.

The object should not be wireframe, should not be transparent, culling should be on (backfaces not drawn), etc... (I better get back to my Physics work, and shouldn't spend too much more time on this)

This information is only for DBC. I do have DB Pro, but my big project is in DB Classic.

Hope I Helped. Good Luck.

Xander - Bolt Software

Why do the antagonists always have to look so cool?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:34:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:34:17