Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Can I make gMAX meshes and turn them into a world for my 3D Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 20:59
Even though I'm working on a 2d game right now (with 3d effects) which includes a level editor, etc., I do have the 3D Gaming world in mind.

I have noticed that people talk about using other editors. But Gmax is free, and people are using GmAX tp make halo meshes for modding halo. And by meshes I mean they are meshing their entire BSP-esque world. Can that be done?

repeat : DarkBASICPro = LearnStatus() : until DarkBASICPro = FullyUnderStood
Rage_Matrix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 21:29
Nope. gMAX uses a proprietry file format that can only be used with games that support gMAX "gamepacks", such as Halo PC. I believe there used to be a way to get gMAX to export to .X files via a script, but I don't think this works anymore and anyway, it would be illegal. Makes sense really, why would Discreet give away a product that could do everything that 3D Studio MAX could do?

Tron Software
Matt McFarland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 21:32
By illegal you mean breaching a copyright? The laws here in the US state that it doesn't breach a copyriht if it is 30% different than anything else.

Hmm.. The thing I'm wondering is.... if I can export gMAX to .X files then I dont have to spend lots of money on 3d Studio MAX. If there is a way to use gMAX with dark basic I'll do that before I have to fork out more money I'm sure a lot of people understand what I'm saying. I dont know what you mean by that being illegal, and I dont see how that makes sense... Perhaps you could explain a bit more?

thanks,
tone

Rage_Matrix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 21:52 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2003 22:03
Since gMAX only exports to proprietry formats its all pretty much academic. As I understand it, using gMAX for anything other than lisenced gamepacks is illegal, AFAIK. Think about it, based on what you just said, why would Discreet give away a product that does everything that their flagship product does, but for free?

There have been quite a few threads on this....search the 3D forum for "gmax". I think you used to be able to use the Flight Simulator gamepack to export static meshes in .X format, but I don't think that works anymore with the later version.

Its a little like the Personal Learning Edition of Maya 4.5 which also has a restriction on the file formats it saves to, as well as watermarks on any renders made. gMAX is a "learning edition".....good for learning the software, but pretty much useless for anything else. It works for Halo because it is made by Microsoft, which has a lisence agreement with Discreet to provide gMAX supported gamepacks for its games.

Basically, I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I'm pretty sure you'd be wasting your time trying to use gMAX to create levels for DB-based games.

Tron Software
Matt McFarland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 22:15
What you are saying makes more sense. I didnt do much research on gMAX, other than knowledge that people use it to mod halo. It makes sense now, I didnt know that gMAX = 3d studio max. Which now makes perfect sense.... Thank you.

Rage_Matrix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 23:18
No worries. Glad to help

Tron Software
Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
gMax dosnt render at all, so its not the same as max even with import/export.

"The man who says it cannot be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~ Elbert Hubbard
Rage_Matrix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 17:46
Well, I would have thought that, for games, you wouldn't need render anyway.

Tron Software
Shadow Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
ToneArti,

I like the GMax interface better than any other program I've tried. If you haven't already, visit this site for a few exporters.

http://www.worldzone.net/games/azrael_dark/PROJECT_ZERO/GMAX.html

I'm using DBPro to write "Suger Free Candyland", for diabetic children!
Matt McFarland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2003 21:24
Wow, I figured this would have happened eventually ..

What I need to do is make my meshes in gmax, then export to md3, then what? Any ideas? this is most interesting!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:58:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:58:12