Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Dynamic Lighting, mesh & BSP mixing, and animated textures (like in UT2003)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 21:03
Those 3 are the first things that come to my mind when I hear the words "unreal engine" .. how well does darkbasic PRO's abilities compare to the unreal engine?

repeat : DarkBASICPro = LearnStatus() : until DarkBASICPro = FullyUnderStood
Matt McFarland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 21:05
After looking at a lot of games developed by the community (Axes of Evil?, Sunday Drivers, a few racing games) I've noticed that many lack the detail and the dynamic lighting which the unreal engine possesses.

My main concern is, is it dark basic? or is it the fact that the people making the DBPRO games jsut dont have the budget or programming team like EPIC.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 21:34 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2003 21:35
i think its probably the budget+programming team, the best lighting effects i've seen are on maps made with cartography shop, but that isn't dynamic(its just a light map)
mesh+bsp mixing hmmm? .bsp's don't work too well it seems, but using nuclear glory's collision .dll or the .x collision code in the code snippets forum you could use meshes fairly well.
animated texures can be done :
http://redeye.dbpcommunity.com/faq.htm#19.ANIMTEX
theres a brief explanation on the general ideas of how to do it.

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Matt McFarland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 22:18
about bsp+meshes....

I would love to my a BSP map and add in meshes like you can do with the UT2003 map editor... So what you are telling me is that it doesnt work to well, almost like it doesnt work at all?

las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 13:41
Depends on what you mean on that, Of course you can have objects in your bsp maps. But you'll need a separate collision for those, and unless you're planning on either making your own importer for specific bsp types or rather the entity system, you won't get the objects from inside the bsp.

Easiest way would be to make your own editor that loads the bsp and then you could place the objects. It is possible to read the entity data from bsp to make corresponding stuff in DBpro too, just not very easy way to go.

Axes of Evil.
was made in DBC, plus it hardly has any mipmapping. Can't say it's the state of the art when it comes to gfx, but the models are nice. Also the game itself is pretty impressive.

Haven't tested the other games you mentioned, but it is possible to create nice lighting settings in DBc and DBpro too. DBpro now gives you full control over the object's specular, diffuse and ambient colors.. plus the specular strenght. So if you've got an eye for good gfx plus some patience to tweak around, you'll get good looking results.

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
Matt McFarland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2003 21:27
Axes of evil did impress me, but only because it was made in darkbasic. If it were released to the public and stocked on the shelves, and I did not know it was made by a developer here using darkbasic I would definitely think it sucked.

I'm critical, yes, but my main question is what if dbpro just isnt strong enough to make a game that could be compared to what is stocked on the shelves, and what gets ported to xbox because its so good. Chances are no, but I think that DB is very fun, and I love playing retro games, etc.

PS: I think that the guy who made axes of evil is way better at programming than me, I'm not trying to insult him in anyway! Just comparing it to whats out there.

Mr Pham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 08:01
Think about how long it takes to make a good decent retail game, like the games on the shelves. I say...for a good detailed thorough game, would take about 6 months - 2 years. And not only that, but DBPRO is pretty new, it's onyl been out around a year. So people are still mastering to code in DBPRO. And not everyone informs everybody about the games there making, give this comminuty maybe 6 more months, and I promise you, you'll see a lot of great games out there that can be compared to retail. I'm making one myself and enjoying it too ^^, and it won't be some cheesy game. It's going to be one bad ass game

If you can't amuse people with your intelligence, confuse them with your stupidity

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:49:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:49:03