Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Whats the best modelling program

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 01:50
hi whats the best free modeling program to use and do u get tutorials with it?

'DGMC2003'
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 02:58
Dont ask these sorts of questions, it will turn into a flame war. Do a google search for Free Modelling Program.

Animator: www.anim8or.com
Wings3D: www.wings3d.com

Look about the 3D Corner there are tons floating around.

RPGamer

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 14:03
If you want tutorials.. well, there aren't many for free apps.
I'd suggest metasequoia (just copy that and search with google) - very easy to use for simple modelling needs.

Milkshape prolly has the most tutorials (compared to it's price) but I still think it's a rather annoying program.

And usually you don't get any (or very few) tutorials with a modelling program. You should try searching for those instead.

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 14:04
No las6 no! Milkshape RULES!

RPGamer

PS - Whats up with LLRGT? I just to their directory when I try to go to the forums!

las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 14:09 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2003 14:11
try http://www.dannywartnaby.co.uk/rgt

It's ridiculously hard to do a segmented plain for example. Or a cylinder that's snapped to the grid without it being deformed. I guess you'll get over these thing eventually and the file format support is nice... but I think even the preview window doesn't look very good. The normals are very odd. (even when they are properly set, it's just the "look")

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 15:24 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2003 19:00
One perk to learning Metasequoia is that you can also export them to parts for use with DoGA CGA. I've even written a tutorial on that topic, if you're interested.

Even if you use the file limited version of Meta, DoGA has .X export built into it.
--
TAZ
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 16:04
i use milkshape www.milkshape3d.com

lalala
Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
I like 3DS Max, but thats not easy to get hold off unless your on a uni course or have a lot of spare cash.

"The man who says it cannot be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~ Elbert Hubbard
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2003 19:30
I'd say Maya is the best, but I prefer 3dsmax. Maya is used for all those new movies like that thing with the green ogre, and monsters inc, and that new fish movie.
BHoltzman
Years of Service
User Offline
My favorite modeling program so far is a combination of Softimage XSI and ZBrush. They are not free. Unless you download the XSI experience. This is extremely comprehensive software. When you learn how to use it you're learning high end industry standard software. So it may take longer to learn but you'll be able to transfer your skills to other jobs and applications. That may be worthwhile. But the problem is that the free version of XSI only saves in a proprietary format that isn't compatible with any other applications.

There is an exception to this idea though. If you ever decide to use 3dGS you can download Maya PLE and use a PLE format conversion program to get your work into 3dGS. Which may mean that you can load this into Milkshape and translate it to some other format like .x or something? Hey that's cool!
DARKGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, my favorite is 3D Studio MAX, his rendering quality is awesome and the models are created very easy, for example you want a TV, so you drag a box (even in the 3D grid if you want!), open your materials editor, push the button next to the material color and search your image, now you convert the box to an Editable Mesh (it's a way to manually edit geometry), select the front part and drag the material to your box. Easy!! Now with MilkShape...it's good the way in you can create geometry, but it's a little hard at the start, so I don't reccomend it to newbies, so the best thing to start is 3D Studio MAX, and it comes with tutorials and a CD-ROM full of textures, sounds, etc. Also you can use Plug-Ins to export the models to other formats, for adding new tools for using, etc. Also it's full customizable because it comes with the source code (well, a SDK) and you can create tools for 3D Studio MAX using C++, so it's a very flexible program .

You can find free tutorials on:

3D Total (I don't remember the url, sorry...)
3D Cafe (www.3dcafe.com)

I will put here more sites containing tutorials if you want it

I hope that this will help you

Bye!

I'm a newbie
KNau
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2003 01:48
Any tool that lets you mesh edit and export .3DS files is just fine. The trouble with Max, Maya, et al is that you would be paying for (or stealing) a whole buttload of features you don't need and will never use for game development.

I keep telling people, check your local magazine / bookstore for computer arts magazines that come with a cover CD. More often than not you can get free copies (well, for the price of the magazine) of all the software you need.

http://www.canceriannewmedia.com
Freeq360
Years of Service
User Offline
I prefer Gmax its a free version of 3dsmax (well kinda) and there are lots of tutorial sites for it.
just search for it.

I'll be a "Freeq" till the day I die.
DAVIDangel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2003 21:37
i have the learning edition of maya but is it worth getting the full version and how much is it

'DGMC2003'
Shadow Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Worth it, I don't know. Price, $7000.00 I think!

I'm using DBPro to write "Suger Free Candyland", for diabetic children!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2003 05:07
learning edition is free now.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2003 05:26
But you cant sell what you make with it.

Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 09:27
i go maya off a cover disk and it doesnt work.

Resist the power of the ring...
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2003 01:25
zmodeler is quite good. No url sorry. Its used generally for modelling meshes for Mod makers in many games e.g. mm2 and morrowind. I think however the latest version exports .x

"Any one for french fries n ketchup?"
Shadow Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " zmodeler is quite good. No url sorry."

http://zmodeler.nfscheats.com/

'Tis here, my friends...tis here.

I'm using DBPro to write "Suger Free Candyland", for diabetic children!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:59:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:59:14