Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] [X9] Spyra - Renaissance

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 19:30 Edited at: 26th Jul 2014 19:32

Hello and welcome to the work in progress thread of my fantasy adventure game spyra.

I made a new thread as the old one is full of outdated information, inactive screenshot links and posts about me leaving and someone ripping off this game. Bad vibes, so here's a fresh start

*** Setting ***

A young writer awakens incarnated in the clone-body of an extradimensional being. Surrounded by the wonders of an alien world he is also quickly facing the plight of a world in perile. What adventures will wait for him and will he ever get back home to earth?
A small amateur game full of magic, adventure and a little romance.
This game will serve as an introduction to Spyra that may be elaborated upon in FPSC:R

*** Features ***

* Spyra is a non-traditional fantasy game (that means not your usual elves and orcs... and its sad that I can put that up as a feature)

* The game will have a dreamy, mystical feel to it with some eeriee moments (these still work best in FPSC)

* Its an adventure and will feature environmental puzzles, riddles and a basic inventory.

* The game will be far more detailed in its presentation and its lore than any of my previous releases. (Thats not that difficult, I know...but my point is still valid)

* Player-body and real time reflective surfaces

* Improved visuals using an extensive shader library. (its not UDK's material editor but its still pretty potent for FPSC resources )

*** Screenshots ***

Activating these arcane glyphs allows the player to spawn hidden objects. From items to passages. The architecture of this room is still a little incomplete but this is close to what it will look like in the full version. Some of this specularity will also blend in better in the full version.
I have added female necromancers to the lore. She does not have a proper shader yet which is why her stomach and hands look a little choppy. I can assure you that the final version will look a lot more lively.

Dungeons will often vary in architecture and design. I want there to be caves bordering in architecture aswell as in - to outdoor segments.

This hall should look like its "carved in" the rock. I'm still working on that but its an explanation as why there are stalactites hanging down from this ceiling.

I find that the caves have a neat "wet" feeling to them.

As you can see I have given objects varying effects to boost immersion and trying to tame that overly glossy FPSC shader effect. I think that I have made decent improvments. That book for instance uses bond1's static "tangentbasis" normalmapshader. The metal parts have a specular effect yet it lacks all of its "signature" gloss.

Thanks for taking a look at my work. Comments and criticism is warmly welcome.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Snake675
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 20:31
Hi Wolf

I am so glad you're back again and you did'nt quit Spyra. Is it really true you are still working with FPSC classic on this project? I guessed you would transport it all to FPSCR... But probably i missed some of your news about your decision.

Your screens look very impressive - as allways.
I wonder what framerates you get with all those polygons and effects and how you manage to build together a working game with FPSC.

Keep up the good work!

Greetings, Snake67

------------------------------------------------------------
i5 2.8 GHz 64bit / 4G ram / W7 home sp1 / geforce gts 250
FPSC 120 Beta 3
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
I can only second what Snake675 wrote!
Almost unbelievable optical quality.

Oh, btw, ist that busty big red riding hood with her "silver gaze"
an NPC or simply a statue ?

Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2014 17:52
@Snake675:
Quote: "I am so glad you're back again and you did'nt quit Spyra"

Thank you! Its quite a compliment to see that people care about my little game.

Quote: "Is it really true you are still working with FPSC classic on this project? "

Yes! I make a little intro to Spyra in FPSC Classic. All the screenshots you see here are done in classic and I will not swap to reloaded until this project is finished. Its kind of a farewell to good ol' FPSC.

Quote: "I wonder what framerates you get with all those polygons and effects and how you manage to build together a working game with FPSC."

I have good framerates in Spyra. Sometimes it drops to 54 but it never goes any lower.

As for how to build a working game in FPSC. Trial and Error mostly, and I build the levels in pairs and string them together later...makes for a more stable build.
@yrkoon
Quote: "Almost unbelievable optical quality."

Thank you!! I'm a little rusty and hope that I can keep going like this

Quote: "Oh, btw, ist that busty big red riding hood with her "silver gaze"
an NPC or simply a statue ?"

I'd make a big bad Wolf joke here, but it would be a groaner

She is an NPC. Well, a dynamic object not a character that plays animations according to a script. That approach is easier on the memorycap.
Thanks for the interest. I always like to share technical "behind the scenes" information.

-Wolf

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 15:11
Looking good as always Wolf!

I love the look of that rifle, really intricate details; looking forward to seeing that textured.

It's funny really, I was thinking of coming back to Classic for a while. I miss all of the features that aren't quite up to 'par' in Reloaded yet.

I will be following this one as it progresses.

Cheers

Jay.

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2014 03:52
How far are you in completion of this game?

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2014 02:08
lookin' good wolf

gamer, lover, filmmaker
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2014 18:22
Really pleased you will continue with this.

Don't know about the game but the screen shots certainly give a lot of pleasure to people like me just viewing them.

I hope they also give you much satisfaction in sustaining your need to feed your artistic creativeness and fulfillment.

Beautiful work indeed and an inspiration to us all.

"You don't see 'im, till 'im come callin"
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice to see you working on this again looking very nice

best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 02:11

Thanks for all the feedback! I truely appreciate it!
I have made little progress since I reopened a thread. Partly because I am split at the moment wether I truely want to finish this in Classic or start converting my media over to reloaded.

Both have strong pro and contra points.

@unfamillia:

Quote: "Looking good as always Wolf!

I love the look of that rifle, really intricate details; looking forward to seeing that textured.
"

Thank you! I will publish things like this in the store, once reloaded has a working lightmapping system and I can present my work properly. Just letting you know, this isn't intended as advertising

I will not texture this anytime soon though. Simply because the weapons will be added way later in development and once I reach that time, I will most likely be more advanced in texturing so it only fits to postpone it until its needed.

Quote: "It's funny really, I was thinking of coming back to Classic for a while. I miss all of the features that aren't quite up to 'par' in Reloaded yet.

I will be following this one as it progresses. "

Same here! I'm split between the two aswell.

I hope not to disappoint.

Quote: "How far are you in completion of this game?
"

Thats hard to say. Models, Media, Story and basic gameplay stand.
Putting everything into levels is in an early stage due to all the redesigns of the project, mostly because something didn't work in FPSC or had to be scrapped... which is why I'm thinking about moving it to reloaded as a "leap of faith" in just assuming that it will improve the game.
You see, part of Spyra's initial concept was that its not a pure horror game. It should be relaxing and full of fantasy and only occasionally eeriee...like a good fantasy story. However, even with s4's splendid modding, my levels can only be 4 rooms and a nice hallway in size, so I need a sense of dread and urgency to keep the gameplay engaging which requires me to reintegrade the horror elements. Excuse my rant, though.

The point being: How far are you into developing? -> Not very far.

@seppgirty: Thanks

@uman:
Quote: "Really pleased you will continue with this.

Don't know about the game but the screen shots certainly give a lot of pleasure to people like me just viewing them."

I'm glad you like it and hope it will be pleasure playing it aswell.

Quote: "I hope they also give you much satisfaction in sustaining your need to feed your artistic creativeness and fulfillment."

Level design is part of my art, my art and writing deeply influenced by video game design. I take part in an art expo in november and I honestly think about printing some of my level designs as part of my set.
But mostly: its fun and its calming.

Quote: "Beautiful work indeed and an inspiration to us all."

Thanks a lot! And being an inspiration for other developers is, I think, the best thing I can do here

Quote: "Nice to see you working on this again looking very nice"

Thanks s4! Its because of you that these levels load at all in FPSC

Here are some screenshots of a more recent level. Its similar in style to work I've shown before but I must admit that working on it drove me more towards reloaded.
The normalmap shader for static entities is not only time consuming, but also inherently annoying.

These are clones suspended in a sort of cryogenic gel that await the concious of their deceased host. The protagonist accidentally hijacks one of these... that will all be explained in the story.

The gel is using a shader to make it move.

Part of the reincarnation chamber. That door leads to a cogwheel machine where you solve the obligatory cogwheel puzzle Think Tomb Raider.

Noteable is the stone plate that displays the emblem of the symarian empire. This has been handpainted with chinese ink.

Crystals and shrooms and stuff.

Statues have always been an important part of my fantasy design. I try not to overuse them. While I work on a level I always ask myself: "Would there really be a statue, who would have commissioned it and why?". A game-world uses its magic once it feels like the designer shows off.. it will feel sterile and artificial.

I will shortly let you know wether I decide to stay with classic or move all my assets to reloaded. Its a tough decision and I have little time on my hands with my recent studies and... well... leisure activities.

-Wolf

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2014 23:29
This Project will be continued in the Reloaded Forums.
[href=http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=209529&b=4&p=0]
Spyra on the reloaded Forums[/href]

I have contacted a mod to lock the older threads Thanks for your support.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 00:55
Locked as requested by the Thread Author

"You don't see 'im, till 'im come callin"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:45:16
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:45:16