Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Damage ( working title only )

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 01:30 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 02:22
Damage

Hello,

This project is a "test and practice" project. In fact I want to turn this project into a more ambitious and expanded thing. I want to make a collection of stories and other "fanfictions" taking place in the same universe.
It would be a lot like the SCP Project, but focusing into the making of a consistent sci-fi universe. That's right, sci-fi, no has-been and overused things such as zombies or mutations here.

Story

Features

¤ Unified shader model

¤ Mysterious and claustrophobic atmosphere

¤ First person gameplay based on action, exploration and puzzle solving

Screenshots

Please note that I will not show any gameplay-based element on the screenshots for now. Actually, the first two levels are completed and fully playable, but I want to release a demo with at least three levels. If I took the decision of not showing such things, it's mostly to keep an element of surprise for you.

That's all. Please give me some feedback about all of this. Thanks for reading because it was a really long post.

Oh yeah, all is made with a vanilla 1.20 FPSC. Shaders are provided by Bond1, Dark Goblin and Uzi Idiot

Utinni !
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 07:10 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 07:11
Wow! The level design is very nice.

But you need to remove the lights from those scifi control panel boxes. Instead you can use an illumination map.

You should totally make a game on this. And what is the total memory used up by a single level? Does it hit the memory cap?

And the screenies have a nice grungy feeling to it.

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 10:45 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 12:51
Hello, and thanks.

When you are talking about scifi panels, are you talking about this ?

They are animated sprites made by Rolfy, I think it gives a nice effect on the scene, plus it allows me to use Bonds' normal mapping shader on the terminals, so I don't see why I should get rid of them. Does it looks bad ?

About the memory cap, the memory used by the finished levels ( with enemies and triggers ) is 1038MB for the first level and 1030 for the second one. Levels are fairly short, but does features a lot of backtracking and combats are pretty long.

For some reason, framerate lowers a bit when looking at certain directions but combats doesn't cause much FPS drops. I had the same problem before and I've never found the reason of this. While it may be not a big inconvenience for people with high end PCs, it can be annoying for ones who have less powerful computers.

Utinni !
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 11:15
The frame rate drops are because of the rendering of too many polys. Since FPSC uses portal mapping and segment based object culling and also, the culling of static entities is very bad, frame rate drops are caused.

And for the scifi panel boxes, they look good. But instead of a light source on top of them, you can use an illumination map to give them the usual screen effects as seen in the images.

And for the memory cap HATS OFF TO YOU MATE!!!

It is quite hard to manage it (also because I set the lightmaptexsize to 1024).

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 11:47 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 11:51
So if I understand, I can't solve this FPS problem ? That sucks. Thank you for explaining.

I do not use any kind of light in top of those sprites, they are just glowing, maybe because they are dynamic.

About the memory cap, I'm using a very few number of segments textures and models in my maps, for instance, the second map "only" uses 70 models.

I know, nothing can be seen from here.

Utinni !
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 21:23
this looks awesome, the shaders you use do a great job of making everything look like it's made with the same theme, even though these are models i've seen before. Nice use of wires, I like to put lots of those in my games too haha all in all I must say that this is the nicest looking game i've seen on these forums in a long time. here's hoping the gameplay holds up too. nice work.

Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 22:26 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 23:30
Thank you. I want to keep a consistent theme throughout the game, but I'm afraid that it can bore players since I want to make a game long of approx ten maps.

Utinni !
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 22:58
i love sci-fi fps games, and I was a fan of squadron AIU series, so i will most definitely follow this very closely. if you need anything, skype me!

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 23:41 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 23:41
I do not have Skype anymore, sorry ^^

Utinni !
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 05:50
all good yo, still following the thread!

Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 09:32
Oh, sorry Madcow, I did not take a closer look at those images. They are allright (I mean, very nice). Hope you release a demo or a video soon.

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 09:39 Edited at: 29th Sep 2014 18:41
It's ok, don't worry ^^
About a demo/video, me too.

EDIT, I've just started working on the third level.

This one will mix combat and platforming, remember the level "Residue Processing" from Half Life or even Black Mesa ? Well, this level will be similar.
The room shown below is a small tribute I did to the starting room of E1M5 (Phobos Lab) from Doom

I call this level 'The Malonium Refinery', the Malonium is a synthetic fuel used by bots and some spaceships. Malonium itself isn't dangerous but produces gaz, which is unfortunately harmful to most of living beings if breathed in too large quantities.

Utinni !
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2014 14:12
Sorry about the bump, but a simple edit is not as effective.
It comes along nicely...

Utinni !
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 00:12
@Madcow
This game looks awesome. I remember seeing the screenshots on the gallery and thinking it must be a DBpro project.

Am looking forward to seeing the 3rd level progress and playing the demo when its ready. Really great work.

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 21:22 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2014 02:41
Thank you, it's very flattering to see my project being confused with one made with DBP

I've just completed the third level. One question though, I'm about to start the fourth level of the game, it will be the second part of the previous one. Do you want me to include it into the first demo ?

Utinni !
DEATH GOTH SNIPER
Years of Service
User Offline
looks vary good wish i can get my shaders working like that.
yes add a demo please.
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2014 08:16 Edited at: 9th Mar 2015 15:35
Hello, the demo is ready to be uploaded but before uploading it, I want to add a small ( like three or four pages ) user manual into the game files.

Utinni !
DEATH GOTH SNIPER
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks man downloading now.
DEATH GOTH SNIPER
Years of Service
User Offline
vary good. I found a few bugs you can fix easy. I will Play again an write them all down.

Applications programming is a race between software engineers, who strive to produce idiot-proof programs, and the universe which strives to produce bigger idiots. So far the Universe is winning.
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2014 11:00
No problem, that will be helpful, I've already started to correct some of them and I've just started working on the fifth level.

Utinni !
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2014 17:35 Edited at: 9th Oct 2014 17:36
I like the idea of coming up with your own world and all, but I don't really see a trademark or a feature of your own that really makes it stand out. The screenshots are nice initially but the game world seems a little flat.

I really liked the look of Dark Harvest more than this actually. It seemed more alive and the color pallet was more vibrant. Now, I'm not saying I've made anything ground breaking or breathtaking but I have been trying to think of ways to set my project apart, personally.

You have a really nice foundation and it seems likes story is where you are trying to establish the game on. It's unfortunate that the demo lacked any sort of story telling at all and just sort of rushed you in. This is why I liked Phobia 1 and 1.5. Sure, the story may be "been there before" but it tells the story well. Bugsy and his projects have story as a tack-on but makes up for it with his trademark parkour.

Maybe if you sit and think on it, perhaps you can come up with something that will make your FPSC stick out a little more. Like I said before, you have a nice basis... now you just need to build on it.

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Diablo Chateau
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2014 18:21 Edited at: 9th Oct 2014 18:26
Hi !

The gameworld hasn't been fully established yet. In fact i was thinking about expanding it as long as I produce games. Funny you are mentionning Dark Harvest because I want to continue into this way for my next project. Dark Harvest also looks more vibrant and colorful because ambience were made off lightmaps, not postprocessing.

But you are correct, I must admit than I not that good at telling stories, I consider it as the erm "Valve Syndrome", I mean, guys at Valve are very bad when it comes to storytelling and such, but still, their games are rather good.

Utinni !
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2014 03:19 Edited at: 18th Oct 2014 03:24
I'm bumping this thread to show you some screenshots from the fifth levels. From now, I will be updating this thread only when a level is completed.
I've just started the sixth map yesterday, it will be more complex than any other previous levels shown in the demo mostly because of the addition of several coloured keycards ( three of them ), giving to the level's gameplay a"Doom" vibe.

I have no bigger versions of them, sorry.

Thanks for reading.

Utinni !
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 18:30 Edited at: 19th Oct 2014 18:32
Level six is undergoing progress, far to be completed however... :-|

Utinni !
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 21:21
you do a very good job keeping an excellent visual quality while using stock media. I'm excited to play the full game, especially if there's already 5 levels. how long would you say the game in it's current state takes to complete?

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2014 01:50 Edited at: 20th Oct 2014 01:56
Hello and thank you, I must say that I love stock media. Even if most of them are visually outdated ( from a 2014 point of view ), they still look great with good lighting and shaders.
Maybe I should consider some day the making of a map only using stock media, just for fun.

People who played the demo are talking about 20 to 25 minutes of gameplay, just as I planned... it's amazing to see how a game made by yourself is shorter than it really is when you play it... same thing goes for horror-themed games.

I don't like to do "false predictions", so I will just say that I would like to release a one-hour long game, with at least ten maps.

Utinni !
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2014 03:54
that would be awesome, and 6 minutes of gameplay per map, while a difficult standard, is achievable

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2014 22:50 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2014 22:51
Hello, I've almost finished the making of the sixth map so, I guess posting screenies would be a good thing.

Utinni !
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 03:35
all of your screenies are very impressive. the atmosaphere almost reminds me of firefly.

Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 08:30
Oooh. They look yummy. Time to KILL!!!

So, how many maps are gonna be there for the game?

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 11:46 Edited at: 24th Oct 2014 11:51
@Bugsy
You mean "Firefly", the TV show ? I've Never watched it. But most of people who have played the demo say that it reminds them Quake II, which is one of my favourites FPS games even It doesn't served me as an inspiration at all.

@Mriganka
So far, I've finished six maps, I want to make three or four more maps.

PS: sorry about the models you had requested, Damage takes me all of my time, hope you don't mind if I make those later ?

Utinni !
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
I have to say, I like the design choices on the game (minus color palette but I guess that is preference). Are you planning to open up the levels and have bigger areas to explore or is it all tightly confined for the whole game?

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Diablo Chateau
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 01:37 Edited at: 1st Nov 2014 12:19
Hello, thank you.
The eighth level of the game will be a little more bigger than the others, mostly with two whole floors to explore.
I've just started the work on level 7, it will follow the same color scheme than the others, with the addition of gore and graphic elements. It will be the only level to feature such imagery since I don't like gore : I think that is a cliché which has plagued FPSC for too long.

There will be a mini-boss battle in a rather interesting setting.

Utinni !
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 18:27 Edited at: 1st Nov 2014 18:27
Hi all, hope you are doing well.

I've almost finished the seventh level of the game : the Research Lab.

Utinni !
VindiKator
Years of Service
User Offline
really good job at this time !
can't wait for test this !
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 15:10
The game looks really good! Keep it up!

Don't waste your life

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2014 00:04 Edited at: 10th Nov 2014 00:04
Thank you,

I've finished the eighth map, here are some screenies, as usual.

Utinni !
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2014 14:07
No much replies since my last visit.
Nevermind.

I'm currently doing the ninth level of the game, I've just started it so here is what I've got so far.

Utinni !
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2014 01:03
Looking great, are you going to sell this or give it away for free..?

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2014 07:50 Edited at: 18th Nov 2014 14:59
Hello, thank you.

The answer is no : it will be free. I've always intended to release the game as a freeware, so I do not see why I should change my plans.
I think the game is not intersting enough to be charged. I mean, this is just a simple sci-fi shooter game, after all.

But I have found some amazing ( should I say unique ? ) background ideas for upcoming projects that will maybe worth to make paid games of them since they are fairly innovative IMHO, just stay tuned.

Utinni !
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2014 14:12 Edited at: 20th Nov 2014 18:46
Bump, I post new screenies just to keep this thread up-to-date.

Utinni !
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2014 12:26 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2014 12:28

Map09 is almost finished

Utinni !
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 18:49 Edited at: 24th Nov 2014 18:53
Come on, no one is interested on the progress ? The leveldesign part is almost finished. :/

Utinni !
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 19:41
Can't wait for its release. Hope it is made available as it looks delicous for Christmas.

granada
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 19:51
Just found this while browsing,great looking levels .Looking forward to trying it out,very nice work Madcow .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS
8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 20:41 Edited at: 24th Nov 2014 22:48
Thanks, I was really afraid that no one was interested by the game anymore. It reassures me in some way.

I've almost finished the level 9 ( I have to place some gameplay elements to finalize it ), after that, I will be able to do the final boss' level and the ending one. "Fun fact" : there will be two or three different endings in the game.

Utinni !
granada
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 21:45
Looking forward to it,thanks for the update .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS
8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2014 19:45
I love the lighting.

Don't waste your life

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2014 03:20
Holy Cow Madcow
This blows anything I could do away. Nice work of shaders and lighting. Don't stop, I want to see this finished
best luck

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2014 06:48 Edited at: 29th Nov 2014 06:49
Well, thanks. Nah I cannot stop working of this project, it would be a total waste of time.

Utinni !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:44:32
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:44:32