Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Mechanical "Medusa" Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2014 19:53 Edited at: 20th Oct 2014 20:00
Yo!

Currently doing a student assignment where we're meant to create a character/creature, rig and animate it and then throw it into UE4. Figured I'd make a thread going over my progress. Ended up creating some sort of mechanical medusa-type creature which I thought seemed a lot more interesting than the run of the mill "buff military man".

Here's where I'm at right now with the high poly, aiming to get done with it and the low poly by the end of the week.

And here's the weapon I worked on today for the end of the tail

Click for larger images.

Any comments always welcome!

Hello, I am Seb.
Tutorial YT Channel
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2014 21:37
The hard surface work looks good! Got to admit I am not a fan of sticking the gun thing to the end of the tail. Would like to see it attached to the back or shoulder maybe. The mask could use a strap around the back of the head or maybe some big oversized bolts into the flesh, something to make it seem attached and not just floating over the face.

Keep with it man, you've got a good start.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 14:16
I agree, I think a Predator style shoulder mounted gun would be cool, the tail should just be a tail - maybe with some pincers to grab onto stuff like a big earwig.

I think you could add in some detail on the head - like the pipes going in at the back, a little bulge around the meeting point to make it look like the pipe go into the flesh. Some scarring, and some sort of way that the mask is attached to the face as Ortu suggests.

It's a really nicely made model already though, will be interesting to see how the baked, low poly version looks next to it.

I am the one who knocks...
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2014 18:58 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2014 18:59
Thanks for the comments guys! Yeah the head was really just part of the base mesh I used to extract the armor pieces, I just hadn't gotten around to changing it. And yeah, I'll put some more thought into what goes at the end of the tail.

Did some more detail work, and changed/got rid of the head:

Hello, I am Seb.
Tutorial YT Channel
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2014 20:19 Edited at: 28th Oct 2014 20:41
Been a bit, but I did do some changes to the mask to give it some detail to go along with the rest of the model. Had to call the high poly done after that because of time and have been working on getting the lowpoly bake since, which I've now finished.

Here's the finished low poly baked model with a quick AO map thrown on to it. We have a poly limit of 30k tris and a 4k image per map so I tried to squeeze as much out of that as I could.

Hello, I am Seb.
Tutorial YT Channel
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 11:26 Edited at: 31st Oct 2014 21:53
Been doing some texturing

Hello, I am Seb.
Tutorial YT Channel
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 12:55
Starting to look pretty great there! ^^ Love the design!

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 23:55
Thanks. Updated the shot with a more up-to-date image.

Hello, I am Seb.
Tutorial YT Channel

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:04:06
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:04:06