Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I need a little help on that Alienware compo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi!! how are you all??

Well, my game is working perfectly thanks to Van-B, Lee Bamber and Phaelax. Thanks!!

I got my game working with menu and all, but I don't know how to submit my game to the compo. I register my game and??, ¿can I submit my game with a readme file?, ¿can I submit my game with a setup program, like Tomb Raider series?

Well, these are some questions I got.

See ya!!

I'm a newbie
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2003 05:52
Readme is file, you just have to compress it and everything else needed into an archive.

I think setup programs are okay, but I don't suggest it, there's more chance of it failing on more machines (most horribly, Rich's test machine!)

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2003 09:05 Edited at: 5th Dec 2003 09:28
I believe it's a rule that you cannot use a setup program, it must have an executable of the actual game as soon as you unzip.

Edit: It has been confirmed, Rule #6: Your game must execute immediately. Do not use an "installer" package in any way shape or form.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2003 10:21
In DB it's always a good idea to have user settings to allow lower spec users and higher spec users to make the most of your game - so a setup screen is both professional and a wise idea for these compos. I plan to put a setup screen in before it even starts up. The first screen will be for changing detail levels and display resolutions etc, then there'll be a start button, and a skip intro button, that kind of setup screen should be well within the rules.

For entering your game, check out newsletter 11 - it has all the info you need. This time it's a bit more complicated to enter, you have to get a registration number and name your .zip/.rar to suit - I guess Rich got a bit frustrated with the organisation of the last compo and went super-efficient on us this time.

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
DARKGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, about the Setup programs, i'm not talking about an installer...

BTW thanks you all for the info, now i'm gonna put some screenshots of my game for the compo (game that I started the 30/11/2003!!). The screenshots will be in the Work In Progress forum. I'll try to put them today or tomorrow, stay tuned!

well, so I will include my setup program inside the game. thanks you all

I'm a newbie
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 08:54
oops sorry, I misunderstood. lol

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:37:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:37:50