Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Most fake Global Illumination demo ever

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 8th Nov 2014 22:55 Edited at: 13th Nov 2014 10:42
Hi guys!
Unreal and Cry engines have this option already for few years. DB Pro have not so I decide to make my own
I mean Global Illumination lighting or just GI
Let me quick explain it main features.
Global illumination (or Inderect Illumination) is one of the modern rendering engine algorithms, which adds to the final image an additional render element.Indirect illumination is the illumination of the objects by the diffusely reflected light only, without direct light from the actual light source.
If you put some object in front of directional light source, such as window, and bring to the dark side of this object a sheet of white paper, you may notice that this dark side will be much lighter.

Why is this happening? Why does one object become brighter, if it appears beside the other bright object?
This happens because the effect called diffuse reflection. Bright object simply reflect rays falling on it from the light source. Therefore, reflecting, they illuminate the dark side of another object. Because of its origin, due to the fact that these rays are reflected and come from other objects, rather than going directly from the light source, they are called indirect. Accordingly, the light that is created by these rays, called indirect, that is, Indirect illumination.

So lets return to DBPro.Everybody knows that In Directx 11 you can add realtime Gi without problems. But to make the same in DBPro in directx 9 is a headache.
Or maybe you are new Houdini and write it in half of an hour?If you such a magician please write comment =))
Also You have to remember that it must work fast enough and dont kill you fps to zero.This demo contains vary fake way to simulate it.

I added SSAO ( made by Evolved) and one dynamic point light with shadow.
Controls: WSAD- to move, Ctrl - to turn GI on/off, Shift - position light to player, L - to start/stop light animation
Have fun!

PS.
I make this demo for fun.I think this way cant be useful in serious game projects because it is have a lot of artifacts and it is made by fake method - so it hardly can show physicaly correct lighting.Also I made it a year ago and dont touch it after.Shaders consits a lot of test code.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 12:44 Edited at: 12th Nov 2014 12:45
I just see a black scene with a light. Something to do with SSAO I guess.