Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Sqlite, ODBC and a Database Manager?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 02:45
Just to cover off the preliminaries, I've already created ODBC and Sqlite3 plugins for DBPro. So I mean business, sort of.

One shortcoming was lack of support for blobs and integration with Memblocks in my Sqlite3 and ODBC plugins for DBPro.

Sort of trying to persuade myself to put the effort in on this, so, in that vein, would there be any demand for:-

1. extension to those plugins giving support for memblocks and blobs in Sqlite and ODBC databases; and

2. a database manager application in Windows allowing you to tinker to hell with Sqlite or ODBC databases and perhaps convert in not just tables but also databases from ODBC/MS Access to Sqlite?

Or would such developments be ultimately only self-serving?

Just asking.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 04:38
Hey man, I use your sqlite3 plugin regularly and blob/memblock support would be pretty awesome.

There are already quite a few database manager applications out there, I use Sqlite Browser which is pretty good and easy to use. Tackling this would probably be more for the fun of it, which isn't a bad thing.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 09:06
@ Ortu,

Great to know people are actually using my Sqlite plugin.

I wonder if anyone is using the latest version of my ODBC plugin and whether it actually works?

I was working on a new version of my plugin (just a few enhancements and commands for the lazy, like me) and thought, hell, why not, let's tackle the blob thing... I think I can create some commands which muck around directly with memblocks as well.

We shall see...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 08:15
Hi Duffer, I haven't sued your plugins in any of my projects so far, but can see that they will be very useful in the future; particularly if you complete the feature set with memblocks and blob support.
Personally, I would like this only in your sqlite plugin as that would be more useful than a generic ODBC one (again for me personally). Anyway, you have my vote - keep up the good work!

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 08:54
@ mr_d,

Just so long as you use (rather than sue) my plugins I'm a happy chap....

To be honest, I had a crack at memblock implementation at the weekend. Managed to sort playing memblocks in to sqlite but not out of it and back in to DBPro.

Unless a miracle occurs, I am going to work with the grab a file (any file), in to a blob in sqlite, playing it back out to a file from a blob. Inellegant - but it will work.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2014 15:44
Quote: "Just so long as you use (rather than sue) my plugins I'm a happy chap.... "

Haha, good one.

Quote: "Unless a miracle occurs, I am going to work with the grab a file (any file), in to a blob in sqlite, playing it back out to a file from a blob. Inellegant - but it will work."

You can call void ?ReturnMemblockPtrs@@YAXPAPAX0@Z(void**, void**) from your plugin. This will return pointers to two arrays; the first contains 258 DWORD's and correspond to the memblock sizes, the second contains pointers to the actual memory (data) block.
You should then be able to just memcpy the blob data - I assume you have a pointer to that available since you're able to write it to a file.

The returned arrays pointers are used directly by DBPro so you should be able to free and re-allocate memblocks of various sizes directly using those. Of course you can also read data from them.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2014 14:36 Edited at: 30th Nov 2014 17:04
Here is my first attempt at a new version of my SQLITE plugin with Blob/Memblock commands. Not enough functionality there yet on Memblocks but enough to be servicable - if it works.

Consider it a pre-alpha!

Can anyone test for me please?

P.S. here is the new n improved extended command list:-

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2014 15:26 Edited at: 30th Nov 2014 17:04
Have posted a revised version above - maybe now it will work!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 01:50:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 01:50:48