Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Dynamic Entity Lighting Issue, thoughts?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2014 18:00 Edited at: 30th Nov 2014 18:35
After spending a few hours searching both Google and the forums I cant seem to find an answer to this problem.

Ive been learning to model and texture recently (since my game used simple square based geometry and a single monotone colour scheme the various norm, spec and lighting maps were never much of a concern

on the static entities the rise and fall of shadow was enough to highlght the detail in the model

However when it comes to Dynamic entites, until recently they were either white or black when lit, now having create _D, D2, N and S maps for them they render correctly in game but only when static?

Ive seen this issue addressed many times but cant seem to find any solutions for it?

just to add a little extra info, i followed bootlicker's excellent texturing tutorial to generate the maps and I get the feeling from what ive seen in posts this isnt neccesarily fixable, but some people have? Its all very confusing.

I've tested with various combinations of dynamic lights and static lights, with the entity both dynamic and static. and curiously with no lights at all and ambience set to 0 it glows like its ambiently lit anyway...

Here is the object static with a static light source

note the shadow on the right

heres a dynamic object with a static light source

no shadows of any kind and it actively stands out from the shadows on the counter

now a dynamic object with dynamic light source

no shadows of any kind even on the surface and again the model stands out from the surface

and a static version with a dynamic light source

again the shadowing is correct with a dynamic light but the
entity itself is static

My Question is this

How to I go about making the dynamic one react the same way to light as the static one? they are using the same texture map (Below)

Texture_D

Texture_D2

Texture_N

Texture_S

No shaders seem to work and I delete the bin and dbo files between tests, so Im not sure what the problem is exactly

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, its not a neccesity to finish my game but would make it go from A tp A+ ya know?

Thanks for ya time

smoke em if you got em
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2014 20:34
Sinister Spoon
Hey that's a good start Yes, using the right shader for
a particular can be tricky at times. I did notice you don't have
an "texture_I.dds" texture listed. Some shader's require it.
Not knowing which shader your using makes it abit hard.
If you want, just open the shader's ".fx" file with notepad
or similar and look across the "required" textures .
Some have it clearly written near the top, others you just
have to read thru the code. Usually it's near the top
Here's a sample of one of mine...

Notice it needs a D.dds,I.dds,N.dds and finally the S.dds
to work correctly.
best

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats the odd thing tho, I started testing with no shaders, and the shaders I tried were all default ones that come with fpsc, In some of the shader tutorials It gave the same advice as yours so I checked and all the requisite tex maps were present for the shaders I was trying to use.

Any chance I may be able to test it with your shader? (And a little help on how to generate and _I map to do so?

Thanks for the help though this project is turning out a lot
more difficult than I first anticipated, mainly due to my repeated
insistence on constantly changing the art style and having
to redo ALL the assets each time

smoke em if you got em
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2015 18:41 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2015 18:44
Reading your parent post, it just hit my mind. The way that dynamic and static shadows react with dynamic and static entities are different. For a dynamic entity to react like a static one you would need a shader like the ones by bond1. But the dynamic entity will react to the light sources without any interaction with the static shadows, since they are already baked into the scene. For the dynamic entities to react like static entities you would need a complete dynamic shadow and a dynamic shader system, which unfortunately is not possible in this engine unless you go for deception like rolfy. So your answer would be - what you want can be at the closest replicatead with shaders to an extent or decieved with modelling techniques.

Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I had a similar thought and as I was using simpler textures for the test the very basic colour scheme gave me an idea, currntly playing around with a sort of cel shaded look actually textured into the models with the areas that should be in shadow, shadowed into the actual texture of the model and postitioning light sources in fpsc strategically to compensate.

Turns out its not as much hard work as I thought it was going to be and is a damn sight easier than learning all this shader business from scratch!

Im about creating, quickly and on a large scale and getting caught up in the coding holds me back, I code when i absolute have to have a feature but for the most part I use the art to compensate.

Like guns for example. I couldnt find a model of a boxy heavily cartoony/minecrafty gun so I tried making my own and after two days of failing at rigging animation, meshes, hud, vweap nonesense I just loaded up the gun I made in sketchup, took a picture of it as it would be held in game, a second with it rotated up slightly and just overlaid the first image as a hud and have the second flash up whenever the player has a gun and fires it. Job done!

Works like a charm, fits the art style and you can barely tell its a 2d image. Art over substance lol

smoke em if you got em
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Heres an example still from the super rough test build I made earlier to check a few things.

smoke em if you got em
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2015 01:58
Sinister Spoon
That is totally awesome!
I love the way how some people are able to think "out of the box"

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Mako! You and a few other folks on here have helped me out a lot. and its great to get some approval on something I half thought I was going to get chewed out for

Besides, i dont think I came in a box, things that come in boxes have instructions and god help the poor soul who'd have to sit down and write the instruction manual for me

"Turn it on and run like hell" is all that springs to mind

smoke em if you got em

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:56:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:56:03