Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Bit-verse

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2014 16:15 Edited at: 1st Dec 2014 16:15
A while ago I started looking at the mechanics of sandbox games like Minecraft, Roblox, Infiniminer etc...

After some research and trial and error I've started working on a sandbox game I've called bit-verse. I already have the website up and running here.
www.bit-verse.com

The game starts off a bit lime infiniminer. You can mine blocks and replace them plus you can also sell blocks out of your inventory for coins which can be collected and used to buy other blocks.

One of the key points of the game will be a block called an 'oscillator block'. These blocks can be programmed to play a sound. You will also have a sequencer block that can be used to play the oscillator blocks like instruments.

Thia ia my progress so far.

key:
completed
Failing
Progressing smoothly

Dynamic sound:
Sine wave generator
Noise Generator
Decay Envelope control

Pitch bend. (Sounds distorted)

Map:
Block Mining
Multiple Map loading and saving
Blocks [stone, putti, dirt, grass, wood, tree stump]
Vector maps
Oscilator Block
Sequencer Block

Physics:
Gravity
Collision

If anyone would be interested in testing then please inbox or post below. Your feedback on this project would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ShellfishGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Fascinating website you got there.

So these sound generating blocks are meant to be a central part of the game, right? Or just one block type of many that you just so happen to focus on right now? Either way, it sounds like a fun idea. Naturally building a house incorporating some of these blocks and then finding out what kind of sound/music it makes.

I'd be down to a small test run.

tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2014 20:22 Edited at: 6th Dec 2014 20:24
It was supposed to be just an extra feature but it may be the central feature now.

My thinking was this. As an EDM musician I Sometimes find having an endless suite of commercial music software/hardware in front of me can be really overwhelming. The challenge of having to gather things to make music might be a good way of sparking musical ideas.

I think at the least it will be a fun pastime for a certain demographic of creative folk. Anyway I'm a little behind as I'm recovering from a hellish week.

One thing. there's no darkness or death in the game. I didn't want to go down the Minecraft route of fighting zombies and killing pigs to survive as I'm trying to go in a different direction. There will be day/night cycles but the moon will just be very bright. I don't think you should have to keep going to bed every half hour

On the other hand, there is money. You can buy/sell straight from your inventory screen. This way you can just mine and sell coal for example and use it to buy more expensive items.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 01:24:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 01:24:52