Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] WW2 Skirmish

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2015 17:48 Edited at: 4th Feb 2015 18:58
Developer: Comby
Version: 1.20 with unofficial beta

Here's my results after about 1 and a half year of work on a project that, at first, was supposed to be just a single-level demo level for a friend.

After having tried (and failed) many times to create a game based on existing ones, i eventually identified some of the real potential (and limits) of FPSC.
I then decided to make a "simple" WW2 game, taking ispiration (but not copying) from the "big classics" we all know.

So here we go with "WW2 Skirmish" (I really couldn't find a better title ), a 3-level game where I wanted to try out some basic technical features I have learnt/seen on the forum or read on the community guide.

This is just little more than an alpha and everything is still WIP. My goal is to finish it and maybe release it for free before moving to FPSC:R.

The plot is quite dull (just little more than an excuse to explore the levels and shoot some enemies):
The Nazis are developing a new military gas - you must stop them.
In the first level the player must gather military intelligence from a bunker; in the second level you must find a britsh POW and in the third level the objectives are a scientist to kill and a bio-sample to recover.

I'm using the V1.20 with the last unofficial beta. The guns are the "old" (v1.16-1.17) stock ones with MP6 hands and fixed gunspecs.
Entities are mostly stock media and official model packs (with some free community entities i got when FPS-Files was online).

My future plans about WW2 Skirmish are fixing the existing bugs, improving the gameplay (the whole game is a little too easy right now...and a little boring as well) and enhancing the techical part (lightnig, shaders, etc.).
Moreover i would like to make some custom HUDs to improve the general gameplay experience (for example a simple "press 'o' to show the objectives") and some kind of tutorial would also be great.

At this point, I just want to show you some of my progress.

Screenshots:
Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Let me know your first impressions!

Edit: fixed screenshots
Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2015 17:51 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2015 17:54
Edit2: Ouch! Double post... My fault. Can a Mod delete this one?
Susysyay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2015 20:06 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2015 20:34
This sounds(edit) nearly identical to my game...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=213171&b=25

I can't see your screenshots for some reason so I'm only judging based on the description. I'd like to see what yours looks like. Interesting to see both of us have the same type of game in development.

-Winner of the X10 Revival Competition, Susysyay
"I'm havin' too good a time today, I ain't even thinkin' bout tomorrow."
Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
It took a while but the screenshots are visible now...

@Susysyay: I have seen your game, the "arena" you developed is indeed very interesting (and from the video looks like it works quite well).
One of my first ideas was something like that, but due to my limited skill with scripting I had to drop it quickly.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
I really like the look of this. It's retro-FPSC in every way (which IMHO is an ART if done well) and the lightmapping is phenomenal! I really can't wait to play this and see how the levels flow.

I'm really impressed!

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Diablo Chateau
Susysyay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 02:18
@Comby

After seeing the screenshots, I can now see that it's actually pretty different from what I'm doing. It has a very Call of Duty 1-ish vibe, which is pretty nifty!

Great use of stock props; you're utilizing them very well. My only note is that in the last screenshot, the door looks a little sci-fi-ish. I probably only know that because I use FPSC but it stands out a bit.

Other than that, pretty cool style you got! I'd love to see some gameplay

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2015 17:23
@Comby
Looks good so far. I too like the way you used stock models so far.
The only thing that stood out for me were the "fluorescent"
fixtures in the last photo. They seemed out of place for the era?
Maybe I'm wrong, but looks good anyway.
best luck

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
@Susysyay and ncmako

Yeah, that door is a sort of problem... behind it there is the "secret-lab-where-the-nazi-scientist-works", I tried with a "bunker" door but the results were mixed and thus I kept the sci-fi one.

I will try to find a solution, but the best one would be an ad-hoc door...
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2015 05:42
Cool game mate!

Really hope to see a gameplay video.

Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
A quick update: I have fixed some of the major bugs and improved the general gameplay experience by adding some enemies. The game now feels a bit more challenging and the player actually have to look for ammo and medikit.
I extended the last level as well: the "ending" is now more satisfactory as the player has to leave the laboratoy and get to the extraction point.

Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
A few new screenshots to show some more level design.

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

I'm now working on the AIs (they cause some heavy fps drops when the fight the player...) and on other side features
(like an HUD to show the current objective and help the player not to get lost around the level).
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2015 16:26
I think you should consider using non DarkAI scripts if there are no allies.

And your game looks cool man. Great job.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2015 16:29
That's the first time I see my WW2 signs&posters actually used in a game

Once you have something playable I'll be glad to give you some feedback.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks cool. Will give a try if it is finished...
For the Ai problem. Like Mriganka said use no AI. It is a feature which has no real use. S4REal try to fix it, but there was nearly no chance Write your own Enemy AI, it is simple(more simple than Dark AI) and you can get really cool results.

Games make the world better
Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm already using the "old" AI scripts: DarkAI was indeed a bit problematic.

The fps drops happen when AIs, trying to fight the player, touch or get stuck in the level, sometimes even a table or barrel can be a problem.

A quick fix I used are "static" AI scripts like "shoot", "cover" and "snipe": the AI just shoots at the player without moving, but the game now feels a bit too easy and not really exciting...
Susysyay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2015 17:21
Comby, make sure you're using trigger zones to spawn enemies right before the player sees them. This will help improve performance a lot if you haven't done so already

Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
@Susysyay: that's one of the first things I have learnt thanks to the community guide!

However, it doesn't really fix the AI problem: as soon as the player enters the trigger zone the game sometimes starts lagging beacause an enemy is getting stuck into a table or something else...

As I said before, the AIs are now "static" and don't move. It's not the best fix and the gameplay got worse, but avoids the annoying fps drops

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 18:26:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 18:26:18