Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Other Software for gamedevelopment

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I tried DarkBasic and really liked it, but somehow if you write basic your code allways becomes a mess. Are there other languages or programms which let u create games so easy? Maybe Pascal?

Stefan
KNau
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 20:03
If basic isn't easy enough for you then you're going to have to drop programming languages completely and go for a drag and drop system. Try 3D Game Maker or Gamemaker - don't expect great results, though.

http://www.canceriannewmedia.com
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 20:23
i think he's saying that when he's coding his code gets all messy, so he was wondering if there are any other pieces of programming software he could try.
well my advice would be to just try and neaten up your code abit, make sure you use comments (rem) and functions wherever possible, it takes a while to learn to write nice clean code but when you do you'll find your problem dissapears, it all comes with prcatice.

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
buhrmi
Years of Service
User Offline
I was trying to say, that compared to other languages basic just doesn't allow to write clean code.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 21:18
but if you try then its very possible, if you have a look a Jessticulars code, in the codebase or something, you'll see that its very easy to read, and basic is one of the easiest languages to program in, in the first place.

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 22:11
I would suggest VB.NET or C# with Direct X 9.0b SDK

-RUST-
EricDB
Years of Service
User Offline
I hear you completely. I love DBPro for the way it makes the power of DirectX easily accessible, but for god's sake, BASIC is the devil. I cringe every time I write something (and let's not even get started discussing the IDE), but the raw power is enough to keep me here.

One thing I'm looking at currently is the DBPro Interface Library at http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk/DBPro/InterfaceLibrary.html. It allows you to use the DBPro builtin functions from within C++.

DBPro's excellent function library, combined with a real programming language, sounds ideal.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 23:42
heh, CattleRustler, always going for the .NET way out

BASIC is the easiest to write AND READ. You have too make it clean, it's not like there is a clean() function

I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
DARKGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
... try to split your code in small parts. You can #Include (or something like that) some .DBA files in another .DBA file, so you can have a PLAYER.DBA for handling the player, and you can have a MENU.DBA for handling the menu and that sort of things. In my game I don't really use any include unless my code is very big, but splitting your code is the best way to keep your code clean. Anyway, if you didn't know, the BASIC was the FIRST programming language before C, everyone in the past used it, even the employees used it!. Also you can use functions and go to a specific location in your code using labels. Frankly, the BASIC language is the same as Visual Basic, Blitz BASIC 3D and even PureBasic!!! and the language continues using his same syntax: a main loop, functions and subs, so, why do you find the BASIC language hard??? I cant understand....

I'm a newbie
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2003 01:55
Yea try C++ that'll get you nice, easy code

Semicolons....

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
buhrmi
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't say that darkBasic is hard. It's veeery easy.

It's just that braces and semicolons help you keep your code structured and segmented, in a more elegant way then IF and ENDIF-statements and goto-commands.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2003 05:18
Mattman,

.NET is "the way in", not a way out
(and I don't just mean for game programming, I mean for all programming types)

-RUST-
Alkaline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2003 06:43
3-D Gamestudio is good you dont have to write code its a click and drag program but is really expensive for a decent product (couldnt afford so i bought this on)

~Might be new but ill be on the top...Just watch~

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:50:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:50:12