Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / 3D Gamemaker question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok well I emailed support via the site , but no reply in at least 5 days. I ordered the 3D Gamemaker in hopes to make Freeware games , I would make no money. My problem is that I read the eula and several reviews on the product. My quesitons:

1. Can I distribute my game(s) in the form of freeware. Which would be EXE ONLY?

2. I heard there is a nag screen when the user exits the game. if I pay 34.99 for the product and then give it to people and there is a nag screen...THAT IS OUTRAGOUS. Of course I dont see this on the site..if there is a nag screen and you dont say it that is false advertising. And that is illegal.

Thank you. And if distributing the game as freeware means going against the Eula I will because that is stupid if you cant make a game and dsitribute it as freeware.

No.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 21:13
How can not mentioning something be false advertising ?

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
Thrall
Years of Service
User Offline
It can because they are not telling someone that they are putting a nag screen on something that the creator BUYS! That's crazy! but what about my questions?

No.
Thrall
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont mean to be rude. But of course as you understand I am a little upset.

No.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 21:40
would it really bother people to click a nag screen button anyway? if they paid £34.99 they could make nearly exactly the same game as the one you are giving them, because 3d game maker isn't really very good for making original games, i could see why you'd be frustrated if you spent years programming a top quality game only to find that in the final .exe theres an annoying peice of advertising, but 3dgm doesn't really take long to make a game does it?

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 22:10
Quote: "1. Can I distribute my game(s) in the form of freeware. Which would be EXE ONLY?"

You can only distribute EXE's, there is no other format and yes you can give them away free.

Quote: "I heard there is a nag screen when the user exits the game. if I pay 34.99 for the product and then give it to people and there is a nag screen...THAT IS OUTRAGOUS. Of course I dont see this on the site..if there is a nag screen and you dont say it that is false advertising. And that is illegal."

No, it's not illegal. We haven't broken any law because you assumed something. False advertising is saying you can do one thing and then not being able to do it. Nowhere on the site does it say it DOESN'T have an end screen, infact I swear one of the FAQs has it.. yup, see:

http://t3dgm.thegamecreators.com/?m=faq_view&i=3f27aa75d91f54.11808698

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 22:24
Quote: "And if distributing the game as freeware means going against the Eula I will"

And then you can get sued

I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
Thrall
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "would it really bother people to click a nag screen button anyway? if they paid £34.99 they could make nearly exactly the same game as the one you are giving them, because 3d game maker isn't really very good for making original games, i could see why you'd be frustrated if you spent years programming a top quality game only to find that in the final .exe theres an annoying peice of advertising, but 3dgm doesn't really take long to make a game does it?
"

Excuse me? I could make it original! that's my plan! my own models , textures and more. I am also a programmer but only make apps I dont know that much..I thought this could be an easy and advanced tool. I guess someday I will buy a license..if I like it.

I am sorry for the way I acted..I guess I deserved to get yelled at and sh*t.

No.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 23:49 Edited at: 6th Dec 2003 23:50
[edit]

I am mischeivious
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want to make really good original games that you can giva away as freeware you should get Dark Basic, or Dark Basic Pro. Then you can make any game you like.

Pincho.
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2003 02:26
Quote: "You can only distribute EXE's, there is no other format and yes you can give them away free"

you can still give you game to someone with 3d game maker in the saved file (ie. the file that you save other than the exe) can't you?

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD duron 1.3G, 640Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2003 02:32
well, ya. How many people have it though???

I am mischeivious
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2003 06:13
More than you'd think Mattman. It's our top selling title by far, even today.

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 06:26
@Rich

"More than you'd think Mattman. It's our top selling title by far, even today."

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 12:30
Thrall,
You can't possibly make something totally original in T3DGM, your still always gonna be using someone elses code and engine. Put another way - why should you be able to make a game in T3DGM and have it look like you've coded the whole thing? - surely that takes credit away from the guys who made T3DGM?

For some reason my copy of DBPro has a nag screen at the end saying trial version - even though my copy of DBPro is legit. Won't stop me releasing the stuff I make with it, personally I'd be chuffed if someone followed the link at the end of one of my progs and got into DB because of it.

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 17:30
Quote: "For some reason my copy of DBPro has a nag screen at the end saying trial version "

Hahah, yeah mines been doing that ever since U5, i just ignore it.

Quote: "More than you'd think Mattman. It's our top selling title by far, even today"

Well sh*t, you'd think some people would wanna learn something about the work it takes to make one of those games you see..(on the discount rack ) at your local store.

Plus with DB, you get the satisfaction of being able to distribute your game as free as ya want.

I'm sick of Signatures
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2003 00:51
Quote: "Well sh*t, you'd think some people would wanna learn something about the work it takes to make one of those games you see..(on the discount rack ) at your local store."

i do code db and pascal btw, i just wanted to muck around w/ some models and stuff without all the hassle for once.

btw can you use the models from t3dgm in db progs and still give them out as freeware or can you only use t3dgm media in t3dgm (i understand if there are legal reasons). just wondering .

AMD duron 1.3G, 640Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2003 10:52
Well, in the latest competition, we're allowed to use T3DGM models with DB for that, so I reckon so.
Shortly after T3DGM was released, I put this question to Rick Vanner because I wanted to use some of the models too - and thought that it might be a good way to sell more copies of T3DGM (by doubling it up as a media source), and unfortunately the publisher had other plans for the T3DGM models, they were charging about £30 each.

I doubt you'd get into trouble if it's freeware, especially considering it's DB your using.

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 01:17
thanks VanB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:33:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:33:53