Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] The Figure- Prelude (Cancelled)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 14:33 Edited at: 28th Feb 2015 14:35
The Figure- Prelude

Sypnosis-

"After a long drive into the outreaches of the country, a gruesome accident drags you into a doomed reality."

The Figure is a short horror-themed adventure game that knocks back at some of my dropped projects and ideas of the past. Originally intended to be a short project, I spent several months trying to come up with the twist on the experience... as to not make it blend in with every other horror game. The game plays out like a story from a scary stories book you read as a child. Everything in this project is designed to give that certain feel that creeps up on you... just like it did when you were in elementary school. It is by no means the longest experience but considerable thought has went into the design of this short story game.

Screenshots-

Notes-

This game is in a forever alpha state. I would not call it a complete release as it has several bugs. This is the only copy in existence that is left of the builds and it is buggy and incomplete. I want to share it with the community as I may go somewhere with the idea in the future. If you do Let's Plays or know anyone who does, pass it on. I'd love to see people play it for social experiment reasons.

BEFORE PLAYING:

This distribution has SEVERAL bugs. When playing, DO NOT read the letter in the library (room upstairs to the left) or it will be stuck on the screen. Also, if you save or reload, the starting video will play over again and CANNOT be skipped. The last piece of the photo WILL NOT show up on screen but hopefully you can figure out the rest! The game CAN be completed but it is HARDER than you will expect. Search in places you don't expect! The numbers DO mean something. This is an OLD build and the files are deleted, hence why only this incomplete version exist. Thanks to my friend Austin for having this build backed up. He's in the game somewhere. Try to spot his and Josh's cameos!

Download: http://gamejolt.com/games/the-figure-prelude/download-distribution/54458/?os=windows

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Diablo Chateau
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2015 05:08
The concept is very nice. But I have a question for you, why do you abandon a project in the middle? I have seen your talent in making outdoor scenes, especially that of Bird. You develop a nice concept, a nice story, but in the end they remain a concept and a story. You should really make one into a game. And I bet people who visit the forums will be in awe by playing a game which is terrific on the part of level design and concept, especially the outdoor scenes and the finley innovative approach to a story.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The concept is very nice. But I have a question for you, why do you abandon a project in the middle?"

I can tell you at one point, this game was "completed". I lost the original map file so I'd need to go back and remake the map entirely... which would be several hours I don't have like I used to. This build is the only one that remains and I got it off a friend's hard drive.

The short explination to why my projects end so early on is simple. FPSC is rather constraining. I'm a perfectionist at fault and I must try not to be. However, because I have such major visions... they often lead me to being let down when FPSC can't keep up. Sure, I could go to another engine but then again... that just means more time will be taken to make it.

I have released three games at the least that were completed.

- Dusk
- Escape The Bunker: 1944
- The Lighthouse

I have since then taken them down but they were completed in the best way I could muster at that point in FPSC.

I still have Project D.C. in the making but I've found out short games are my forte'. I think TOO big and that leaves a lot of room for error and frustration. Its a process of learning how to cram a lot into a small package... because FPSC excels at small packages.

Fun fact, a lot of the concepts behind The Figure came from Dusk. Every project I make has a tie-in to one I've worked on prior.

I will try to release more to the forum with time. The Figure was sitting on my hard drive for at least half a year; I wasn't going to release it. I figure I might as well as a test of sorts. I have another project in the works that falls back a lot to The Birds and The Figure.

Diablo Chateau
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2015 23:22
There is a lot to this game and few things against it. I haven't beaten it yet and I'd appreciate if you might PM me the solution to Mary Shelley and E.A.Poes puzzle

All of my projects that have died in FPSC have diead because even these small ideas where to big for it so I sympathise with how you feel about it at the moment. (whats the lighthouse??)

What this did for me was inspiring me to try a similar game of my own with TGC going in an odd direction with GG.

-Wolf

"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!" - Rick Bamber
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2015 04:37
That was quite a bit of an eye opener. And I really wished you had The Birds under development. It was great.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 19:54 Edited at: 5th Mar 2015 20:39
Quote: "That was quite a bit of an eye opener. And I really wished you had The Birds under development. It was great."

The main flaw behind The Birds was scale... at least for the city level. It also feel into somewhat of a monotonous stoop. There was nothing really "tense" about the game and the only big pay-off was finding out the mystery, which is okay in its own but not 100% where I wanted to take it in the end.

I do have a story in the works that echoes back to that very same concept but also blends with other things I have done already. I have a screenshot I want to show here but I'm going to wait until the scene is 100% perfected.

EDIT- HERE IT IS:

Quote: "All of my projects that have died in FPSC have diead because even these small ideas where to big for it so I sympathise with how you feel about it at the moment. (whats the lighthouse??)"

I knew you and me shared the same struggle in topping off out "masterpieces", even though we both had great potential. Also, the Lighthouse was a short contest game for v1.9 when it released. It was WAY too short to be anything I'd bring back into the scene again but many Youtubers played it despite it being short.

Diablo Chateau
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 00:41
I've always a big fan of your games

And of course I wanted to try this one out too....but I can't find the key to leave the first room.

Seems I am a little rusted

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I've always a big fan of your games

And of course I wanted to try this one out too....but I can't find the key to leave the first room.

Seems I am a little rusted"

I'm afraid that will detour a lot of people in the long run but remember you can crouch... if that helps. Not everything can be found at eye level view.

Diablo Chateau
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 17:36
ASTECH
I seamed to have missed this one. Have a couple games to play.
Will get back with you.
Quote: " Not everything can be found at eye level view."

Thanks for the tip.
best

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
You're welcome NCMako. More than likely... because this game and my newest project take place in the same universe, I will take this down to re-do it and fix some of the errors. Play this version while you can!

Diablo Chateau
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
I have finally decided what to do with this concept and the project I've been working on outside of the forums. I've currently merged this game with The Diner concepts and I've finally settled on my approach to my side project. Details will followed when its finished or 95% of the way. I can't let it slow me down or ail me this time.

That being said... this game may be pulled forever once the "spiritual sequel" gets complete. The way I see it, this version is kaput and it WILL be replaced in every better way possible.

Diablo Chateau

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 13:47:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 13:47:43