Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Turn based game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2015 22:21
Can you create a turn based game with FPSC? Like where you do things like set up something to research, movement then run a turn and your stuff starts or continues and then the AI does its stuff
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2015 22:21
No, I don't believe so.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
You can. Im deep into creating a complex turn based RPG right.

Its incredibly simple to do.

the way I accomplish it is through use of variables

I have a variable set called 'TurnOrder'

When Its the player turn its set to a value of 1

when its the cpu's turn its set to a value of 0

then simply have ur AI scripts look for the value to be 0 before they execute and when they are done, have them set the turn order value to 1 to allow the player to have their turn, then back and forth

There are many ways to make a turn based game thats just the method i use as i felt it was the simplest

smoke em if you got em
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2015 01:53
Quote: "You can. Im deep into creating a complex turn based RPG right.

Its incredibly simple to do.

the way I accomplish it is through use of variables

I have a variable set called 'TurnOrder'

When Its the player turn its set to a value of 1

when its the cpu's turn its set to a value of 0

then simply have ur AI scripts look for the value to be 0 before they execute and when they are done, have them set the turn order value to 1 to allow the player to have their turn, then back and forth
"

WOW! I didn't think it was possible. Do you have any video of this? What people can do with Classic keeps surprising me.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you so genuinely suprised as to ask for video?

It was so simple to achieve that I didnt think it worthy of a specific mention on the forum threads.

I'll attach a video to this post ^_^

Excuse the choppy frame rate my pc doesnt like running screen cap at the same time as test game

(Remember the music and a lot of the huds and enemies are very place holder i know i cant use the ff7 music in the final version but its just there to make me smile while testing)

But yeah its not that difficult, you just need a way of having different scripts talk to each other, I used variables, but the initial variant just had a global battle variable, 0 for not in battle, 1 was the activation value set to by whatever trigger event was starting the battle, so the main control script can ready all the huds and put the player into battle mode, this gets set to 2 after thats done, telling the enemy script that battle can commence then the initial test script was all just state based so when the player was having a turn it would cycle through evenly numbered states, then reset to the odd number states when the players turn ended so the enemy turn could begin that way they could never take a turn at the same time, then a series of timers and it just worked.

Now its this massive complex script with variables defining different weapons, their attack and damage ratings, miss chance ratios, usable magic etc

smoke em if you got em

Attachments

Login to view attachments
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2015 17:20
Quote: "Are you so genuinely suprised as to ask for video?
"

Yes i am.

Your game looks awesome! Love the graphics. This must be an insane amount of scripting... Do you have a WIP thread?

Great job on this.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks

Alas no WIP thread, I have a really really rough version that allows the player to attack, consume potions, use magic etc.

But an Issue involving huds taking up massive amounts of memory is proving to be a problem.

smoke em if you got em
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2015 20:04
Never thought about that. Are you using any mods? I saw something about using magic in one of your previous posts.
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
No mods pure vanilla, mods always crash my editor, the magic is the spells in my game, fireball, lightning etc

If you want to make a turn based game and you run into any problems I'll be happy to help

smoke em if you got em
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2015 22:23
Sinister Spoon
I hope you find a way around your memory problem. I just watched
your video and must say it's amazing Unbelievable work.
I for one hope you get to finish it.
best of luck

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks NCMako you have really helped a lot in the past and ive been teasing about this project for a while, and its so near ready, I just need to work around this limitation. The level size is fine at around 1505mb but fpsc keeps loading like 400mb into memory when defining around 16mb worth of actual image data, its bizarre and something I dont think can be fixed by me really it seems to run deeper than something fpi scripting can fix.

Il need to get creative and compress the images down, like I have seperate buttons for each command thats 4 images where i only need one.

Seems like thats the best Im gonna be able to do about it really which is a shame as I had planned for over 60 different weapon types but with images for just the 3 in the game along with other things capping it out I may have to scale down hugely or make it themed to each particular level.

smoke em if you got em

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 07:18:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 07:18:32