Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / Setting up IOS developer account.

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2015 04:03
Well having been a bit of a hater of Apple for many years, I have finally bit the bullet and remortgaged the house etc lol and bought a Mac.

I got a Macbook Pro 13" Retina which only has a 128gb SSD however I have a NAS so everything fine there and it has 8gb ram and Intel Iris gfx.
After some frustration getting to grips with the Mac way coming from Windows and thinking I had just bought an expensive door stop, I have finally got the hang of it and it doesn't seem so alien now!

I have just gone over to the developer site and paid the £79 for the app store and am finding this much more confusing than Google Play but maybe thats because I am not used to the system.

I don't know where to go from here now, I think I need to set up a certificate but not sure and think there is something else also to do before submitting an app?

At the moment the problem I have is that I have no other Apple products other than an old iPod and so can't test my apps. Is it a simple case of if it works on Android, it will work on Apple?
I want to get Paint Pot on the app store, it has a screen resolution of 1280 x 800 and have managed to get it working on the Mac with AppGameKit, will this be fine?

Any guides, help will be welcome.

Do I need a test device to get any further?
If so in a couple of weeks my phone is due an upgrade and I was going to get an iPhone 5 or something.

Thanks in advance.

The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
I found this video series very useful for all the iOS certificate stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_eCFDajDUA

As for testing, I was unable to figure out how to use the virtual devices in Xcode with AppGameKit, there probably is a way, I just gave up after a bit. I had already picked up a refurbished iPad and it was very easy to test on it once I figured out the above steps. Honestly I found the Android testing/submitting to be a significantly easier process, the Google Play Dev Console is just a much better organized system.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2015 21:15
Cheers for the vid link, will check this out.

Anyone else with help re testing apps.

Not easy when not used to Apple gear

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2015 12:00
It will be much easier if you get yourself an apple device for testing.

Get yourself an older iPad.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2015 02:59
Ok I am using T1 AGK2 and have created my .ipa file for Paint Pot.
I used Application Loader on IOS pressing Deliver Your App but get this message:

Quote: "
No suitable application records were found. Verify your bundle identifier 'com.paulharthen.paintpot' is correct.
"

Not liking IOS at the minute! Any ideas??

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2015 04:04
Ok didn't realise you had to go through iTunes Connect and then upload through Application Loader, this is sooooooo messed up, Android is so much easier than this stupid way of doing things.

Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, another step I was bashing my head over, if you have the ipa file signed with (I forget which type of certificate) all you have to do is double click that file, with the registered device plugged in, and it will queue it up for install in iTunes.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2015 12:36 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2015 15:10
How are you getting on spectrepaul? Have you created the necessary certificates and added them to your keychain?

There are MANY steps involved, but here is a very brief (from the top of my head) list;

- Request certificate on Mac via keyChain Access
- Upload certificate to Member Center (iOS Dev Portal)
- Create Distribution Certificate
- Download Distribution Certificate and add to KeyChain
- Create an App Bundle
- Create a provisioning Profile
- Download provisioning profile (just stick it on the desktop for now)
- Go to iTunes Connect and 'Add App'
- Select the App Bundle you just created
- Add all the screen shots/description data etc etc
- Export your application from the AppGameKit IDE being sure to include the provisioning profile you just downloaded
- Load application via Application Loader (it should now recognise your app)
- Go back to iTunes Connect and 'Add' the build to your app details
- Submit for Review
- Wait forever
- Get Rejected
- Sell Mac
- Go back to Android

Happy to help with any of these steps... Besides the second to last, I don't want it lol

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2015 21:40
Lol this is mad crazy, Apple is a nightmare! Well I saved most of the info in connect but not uploaded screenshots yet. Uploaded the app and got back a message from Apple about my app might have push notifications whatever they are but if not I don't need to redo. If I have I have to redo IPA with push notifications and then re upload the new compiled app with them.
Still got to do my screen shots yet and havent tested it on an Apple device just uploaded lol so God knows what it will be like.
I thought you might be able to use xcode tested with tier 1 but don't know.

That would be a good feature of the ide one button ios test using the tester from xcode.

Think I might have to get back to you funnell7 because this is a big headache.
Why do Apple make it soooo complicated!!
Android is easier by a long shot.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2015 12:14
Quote: "my app might have push notifications "

Don't worry about that, that is just a warning and will not get you rejected.

Quote: "Still got to do my screen shots yet"

Good luck with that... Apple require a shed load of screenshots, which for me, is the biggest ball ache...

Quote: "and havent tested it on an Apple device"

Bad as it may be, I have never tested any of my apps on an Apple device prior to submitting lol... I take the premise that if it works on Android it will work on Apple. So far, this has worked well for me

Quote: "Why do Apple make it soooo complicated!!"

Because its Apple.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2015 22:22 Edited at: 24th Jun 2015 22:24
Quote: "Don't worry about that, that is just a warning and will not get you rejected.
"

Great, left that alone

Quote: "Good luck with that... Apple require a shed load of screenshots, which for me, is the biggest ball ache...
"

You were right, it has just taken me forever to do the screen shots, 5 images for each setting!!!
I have a video to upload but when it said that it also wanted that at various screen sizes I gave up on the video!!! Madness

Quote: "Bad as it may be, I have never tested any of my apps on an Apple device prior to submitting lol... I take the premise that if it works on Android it will work on Apple. So far, this has worked well for me "

Me too!! lol, this is too much of a headache to be worrying at this stage. Getting an iPhone 5c on Friday though as my phone was due an upgrade so will be able to use that for testing I think soon.
Guess I will have to do another certificate or something for that then!!

Quote: "Because its Apple.
"

Yes and thats why I have always been a hater of Apple and their products, just had to bite the bullet while I had the opportunity to get the Mac due to my old laptop setting a fire and the insurance giving me a Currys voucher to replace or I wouldn't have got one I don't think.

Going to do all my coding etc on this Mac now though because it still does the Android stuff.
Doesn't seem right though, Windows can do Android and not IOS, Mac can do IOS and Android. Apple are not a friendly company.

Anyway App has been submitted for review so will wait for the millions of rejections now!

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2015 01:23 Edited at: 25th Jun 2015 01:24
Something else the App Store won't let me do is put my company name on there, e.g. Leap.

It has my real name in there. Doesn't look like Apple will let you use a company name any more for a single dev, it appears you have to do some more messing around with other stuff to get it on there and it has to be a registered company now!

Bit annoying, especially when all the other stores and my website say Leap.

Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "it has to be a registered company now!
"

Very true, I even have an LLC and it still took nearly 2 weeks for their system to recognize it. I appreciate the effort to cut down fraud but it makes their system even more complicated than it already is.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 18:55
Well 5 days later and app still says awaiting review and not even being reviewed.
You would think for the price you pay that Apple would be very prompt at getting these done!

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 22:34
Quote: "Well 5 days later and app still says awaiting review and not even being reviewed."

You're about half way there lol... FYI, the below site shows you average review times.

http://appreviewtimes.com/

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 23:06
Quote: "You're about half way there lol..."

For $99 every year you would think they would be faster, easier and more on the ball than Google and Amazon put together and they don't even get close.

Quote: "FYI, the below site shows you average review times.
"

Thats quite a handy site to have book marked, cheers for that.

If you want a laugh, check my other thread:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=214795&b=41

I really am starting to lose the plot and really brings it back why I have been a long time Apple hater!

If I was you Funnell I would stick to not testing your apps on iOS

I tell you something though I was all for more stores being available like Playstation, Xbox and Wii but have changed my mind! God knows how hard it would be on them

All I can say is that it better be worth it after this!

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2015 07:36 Edited at: 8th Jul 2015 07:54
LOL, why you didn't called me on skype, i would help you
Apple is the most easy way to publish apps.
I can do certificate and publish it in 5 min.
I'm just updating 10 apps every day.

Apple is harder in the begin, because it is more secure.
This is why i avoid Android, too easy, too crackable.

I don't understand why you continue to use Tier 1 when AppGameKit is fantastic in Tier 2 on MAC.
With new XCode you click 1 button, and woilà app submitted and auto certificate done.

For the review time, better they look apps deeply, because we don't want Apple Store become like Gogle Play. Less we are, more we earn.

For the screenshots, make your own app that do the millions screens in one button click.
For the icons, the same thing.

After you understand how it work with Apple, you never go back to Android

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2015 18:04
Quote: "LOL, why you didn't called me on skype, i would help you"

Haha, will probably speak with you on video skype next time for some tips

Quote: "I don't understand why you continue to use Tier 1 when AppGameKit is fantastic in Tier 2 on MAC.
With new XCode you click 1 button, and woilà app submitted and auto certificate done."

Will have a go at Tier 2 on MAC using your template some time soon.
Got a couple of apps in the pipeline and then will have a bash and again get ready for the skype call to you again lol

Quote: "For the screenshots, make your own app that do the millions screens in one button click.
For the icons, the same thing."

Good idea

Quote: "After you understand how it work with Apple, you never go back to Android "

Starting to get there with it now and for the first app Paint Pot thought I would give it a go with it
Just been accepted so should be on the App store very soon now.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2015 01:17
Well about 8 days and the app is up lol

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paint-pot-kids-colouring-book/id1010974925?ls=1&mt=8

Lite version to follow in another 8 days or so haha!

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2015 07:35
I go to see how it work

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2015 02:15
@Gekko

here you go

Not sure if I have done this correctly as I have not used a promo code before but for all who have Apple device I am hoping you will download my full version of Paint Pot on the iOS store and maybe give me some good reviews

I presume only one code is needed for people to use and it has an expiry date below apparently set by Apple but will allow you to get it free

If anyone has used these before and more codes are needed then let me know, cheers and thanks for your help in advance

Code expires on Thu Aug 06

9PMFW9TH44R9

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
next time send him the code privately

as someone might use the code to grab your app, and Gekko stays empty handed!
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2015 02:10
Quote: "as someone might use the code to grab your app"

Not used them before, thought you only needed one code and it could be used more than once with it having an expiry date.

Do you know how they work?

Could do with some reviews on the Apple store for it, will have to get some more free codes

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2015 10:53
One code is one installation. Once it's used, no one else can use it...

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2015 14:54
Quote: "One code is one installation. Once it's used, no one else can use it..."

Cheers, didn't know that. Will do a load more codes then

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2015 22:07
Well guys as mentioned and with the hope that you will all download my app on iOS for iPhone or iPad for free and then give a good review to help me out

Here are some free codes, they last for 4 weeks before expire, thanks in advance

HYFKLXFT4H7H
HK74PEMWNA6L
MRLA7K6MH3XE
HRP3HYEXKLRX
YWYMK9R4T6TY
6NTNHP6M69MW
TETFTXNYWE6F
XW7FT3E33L7J
E7NLXAPJTJ74
4AEX3JPAPEHT
76W3FHAMX9WF
3ENYMREPWMWL
KHWKJXYJXNXH
NXRKF79HL9KX
66W4JTTJEFFX
NAPWRK3KKNYL
KNY96L9X6MNH
WK76AMW9W7NL
M6W4PXA7XX46
EJ7T96NLYWRK

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2015 21:39
Anyone made use of any codes yet?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:26:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:26:18