Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [x9+BlackIceMod] Super Awesome Dungeon Crawler!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 13:51 Edited at: 30th Jul 2015 14:11
Game:

Developer:
Grumpy Munky Game Design

Powered By:
FPSC [x9] + [BlackIceMod]

Initial ScreenShot:

Story:

You are a player booting up a game for the first time, something goes wrong however at the title screen, it fails. A voice in the darkness chirps up grumbling that \'\'its happened again\'\' and informs the player that theres something going wrong in the digital world, the veil between different games is blurring as everything is moved online, games new and old occupying the same digital space, merging gradually, causing massive upheaval to the reality of each world, bobombs show up in sonic, resident evil zombies rampaging through pac man.. its chaos.

As a player you are not digital you can move freely between the worlds so the internet itself summons you, tasks you with locating the stash of powerful artifacts collected from these worlds, take advantage of the merging worlds to collect the most powerful items from all these worlds to fight your way through them, restore order and save the INTERNET ITSELF!

Additional Screens:

Demo Attached:

PLEASE NOTE! This is an EXTREMELY early build, everything is pretty much fully functional but there is a LOT of placeholder items, the inventory system is extremely limited and not implemented in the way it will be in the final version, there may be a lot of bugs although I have attempted to test out most of them and it has been round a few people for a while to get it to the working state its in so it should be to all intents and purposes fully playable albeit with a lot of rough around the edges so please bear that in mind when passing judgement.

Anyway please download and test it out and let me know what you think, try not to be too critical this isnt a \'\'testing\'\' roll out, this is more of a look at this cool thing Im making.

Just please keep this build limited to the forums, do not pass it out, re upload it anywhere or in any other way disseminate the build around, I dont think its ready for the generally critical public to get their hands on it yet.

Thanks for Taking an interest.

(Oh and feel free to open up the setup.ini and set your height and width to match your desktop, all the huds are defaulted to 1080x720, so Id recommend that resolution unless you really want something different but the images may appear incorrectly)

Follow @GrumpyMunkyIndy on twitter for future updates

also I post videos to youtube occasionally under GrumpyMunky Game Design if you can actually find them.

FAQ

-Sometimes I get stuck on level Geometry. Yeah Some of the assets are old built before I realised how fpsc liked objects to be scaled so there are situations where the hitbox is much larger than the object, this mainly only occurs on the first actual level where you pick up the spoon from the bucket. Hold C and crouch walk out of it this works 99% of the time

-Game hard crashes when I die. This is INTENTIONAL

-Sometimes I fall through the floor. Yeah Ive no idea how to fix this, seems to happen a lot when colliding with custom assets, probably to do with the aformentioned hitbox issue. Only fix I have for this is to install teleporters under the map which arent in place yet.

-I move slightly when in the weapon submenu of the inventory when selecting weapons. Yes the plrdisable command works differently in black Ice mod and has to be a constantly looping command rather than a prefedefined amount of time and this particular variable doesnt have an immobility check yet.

-Windows asks me for all sorts of permissions and doesnt trust the application. This comes up due to the source being modified with black ice mod. Dont worry about it, I encountered it early on with testers on win 7 and 8

-Note since its literally only just come out its unknown if the game will run on WIN 10, so anyone out there who has already taken the WIN 10 updated please let me know on this.

smoke em if you got em

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 23:19
Hello Sinister Spoon

I downloaded and played your demo and was very glad I did so.
I like the whole concept of the initial story and thought that you have done a great job so far to relate that to the 'player' through the demo levels.
The cartoonish style works well (models look great) and the interaction with the toaster and the humour used kept me wanting to play more.
The only thing I would like to see improved is to get the type to stay on screen 'longer' when the player needs to interact with an object for example 'when you can take a potion or spell' but other than that great job done so far.
Nice to see such progress with good old x9 and BlackIcemod and all involved in its progress.

All the best
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feed back

I think a lot of the text issues with relation to their time on screen is that I have the crawtext set to the pickobject condition which requires the crosshairs to be position directly on the object to interact with it, Im going through and changing that to an inview condition, so as long as the player is looking roughly in its direction the prompt should show provided the player is in range.

Hopefully that will fix that issue

Thanks for downloading it and trying it out, It really was a lot of effort even just making that small playable section, I just wish I could get the nomad shaders to work without the drop in fps, for now Im going to stick to phong bump specular and alpha spec tangent shaders for dynamic and static entities respectively.

Also i noticed a lot of the shaders Im using require me to put certain textures in alpha channels of other textures and I have no idea how to accomplish this, so that being said its a miracle it looks as good as it does

Hopefully a few more people will check it out. Really means a lot to me that you took the time out your day to test it out and drop some feed back. thanks

smoke em if you got em
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2015 00:59
I wanted to check this out before we depart on our holidays. This demo WIP is by far the best I have had the privilege to try out since we started with FPSC. We have seen a lot of demos and releases, but this one outclasses them all in every aspect. The beginning was great, and as Ross mentioned the humor kept me engrossed in playing. I will be worried if my toaster ever starts talking to me.

The layout is perfect, and the cartoon style blends everything together. I myself use the cartoon look now as it helps to blend the vast amount of media we use. Good to see I will have some competition in this area. The battle system is great and reminds me of the Final Fantasy games of years ago (my wife still plays them on our SNES).

I would like to offer a suggestion. If you do not already have these, I would suggest taking a look at Rosstradamus' packs- both the Egyptian pack and the Dungeon pack. These packs would easily be able to blend into your development- the Egyptian pack could easily become a second game or "add-on" to your original. The Dungeon pack contains a lot of traps and such that you could use as extra "pitfalls" against the player. Ross did a great job on these packs and his media is one of the most used packs in our work.

There is nothing I can offer as an "issue" nor could I offer a suggestion for lighting/etc. Each developer is unique and you will never be able to please everyone. I did get confused in the beginning after the chat with the toaster- I went to the wrong door and "fell" out of the level. Did it again in the same spot and saw the "Y O U S U C K", which brought me back to my earlier programming days years ago. That said, I think you managed to capture not just the atmosphere, but the "fun" in playing. As Ross mentioned, the conversations did flow a bit fast and some may not be able to read that fast. You may consider adding a pause in between each "fpgcrawtext" section. For example...

Adjust each etimergreater=x value to give the number of seconds to read that line. I use the same approach when displaying info in huds- gives the player enough time to read the info provided. In your case with just text, it should give a pause in between each line(s) of conversation. Mind you, my example comes from my scripting in my source and unless something drastic has changed in the versions, it may or may not work for you.

Overall, I think you have a great start and I can see how this could become a template for other developments you work on. Keep up the great work, and we will check back after our two weeks of camping is done.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
PixelF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 07:34
What a great game! I was very surprised to see all these neat features function so well!

I love everything about it, the only thing that got to me was the battling. After a while, fighting those enemies got a bit tedious.

Anyways, amazing job!
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 20:40
Sinister Spoon What a refreshing and original game to come
from FPSC Had a blast playing it. The "cell shader" blends
everything nicely. Waiting to see you finish the "inverntory system"
Would like to see hows it's done. Would like to see more on how you setup your menus and huds also.
Again, a very good job on this.
Thanks, best

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
I enjoyed this game a lot and is a refreshing game made with fpsc, the main menu is a nice touch and ran without any problems with windows 10.

The main problem I had with the game is I had to be exact in the right place to open a chest if not you would not see any text to say open chest.

A very good job on this , I'm also waiting for the inventory system.

Best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys, Pixel, BlackFox, s4, mako I stayed off the thread for a while to see what people think, and Im genuinely shocked that it went down so well, and blackfox in particular, when I saw all that text I was like wow.

I agree with pretty much all the criticisms (spelt right?) about the text etc, its not in a state for public consumption I know but I figured fellow fpsc'ers would understand and was glad to see Im right

Your time is the most valuable thing and Im glad you all devoted some to trying it out and espescially you s4, and nomad and all the other modders, the cel shader just made everything awesome.

In awe of the mod I decided to set it up on a win 7 and was glad to say everything ran perfectly apart from the fact all the shaders I tried made everything look super shiny and reflective, I tried everything but to no avail, also the build engine has chugged down to a halt, on my xp machine it seems to build ludacrously fast, like the entire demo in around 5 mins, yet the win 7 machine which runs the demo at a faster frame rate, chugs while building it, its been going an hour now and is barely halfway through.

So with those two things Im probably going to keep working on the xp machine, though the latest builds with the beta have had a seeming memory leak where towards the end of the demo the frame rate just tanks to 1-0fps and remains like that even after end processing everything fpsc related and reloading, it loads in at that frame rate and never gets better until I restart, but havent had it occur as of yet.

Ill attach the build with the clickable inventory here too, its linked into the esc menu so hitting esc will bring it up at any point, its not fully coded into the game yet, it functions as an inventory but lacks the stat tracking and other things that ive turned off or are running in the background while I fuss over whether to continue the build or try and work out the issues Im having with the beta on my win7 machine, I mean the shaders are amazing and the spec and ill mapping is great on anything metallic but I cant get that cartoony look and even the same objects with the same textures and same shaders as the xp machine dont look right

Im sure Im doing something wrong but I dont know what it is.

Anyway Thanks again everyone! Im just awaiting the first build through the win7 machine to finish so I can do a comparison between the two and see where to go.

smoke em if you got em

Attachments

Login to view attachments
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "around 5 mins, yet the win 7 machine which runs the demo at a faster frame rate, chugs while building it, its been going an hour now and is barely halfway through."

This is far too long for the game to build, on my windows 10 machine I can build a level in less than a min, on my windows 7 machine it builds just as fast. Something is def not right if its taken over an hour and only half way.

FPSC is a funny beast sometimes and never did work out why on some machines it takes so long to build levels.

Where did it get stuck at that is taken so long.

best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
The Light mapping stage.

It doesnt really matter anymore it looks like the entire project is on a permanent hiatus, my GF was on holiday all wekk so I was using the time to move the build over to the Win7 machine because of the issues on my XP machine (I say win 7 its a Samsung RV511 laptop which I got for 50 pounds off craigslist cos the screen was busted) I was running it through a hdmi to my tv so that wasnt so bad but the build times were horrendous, upwards of an hour to build a test game level.

And last night it just went poof... Lightmapping a tiny area (4 medium detailed rooms 2x2 each) the graphics card just gave up the ghost, now all the work, all the updates, the complete rebuild of the game is now lost in there Internals.

I cant move it back to the XP machine, well I could, but it builds an inferior version, I compared two Identical builds one built using the XP machine the other compiled on the Win7 machine, ran both the compiled games on the win7 machine and there was an average of 10-15fps difference in favour of the win 7 built version.

So clearly something isnt right in the xp machines version of fpsc, it states v1.13 with black ice when it loads on that machine and v1.17 on the win 7 machine (Well used to )

Its the machine I started the project on so it will always have the assets and stuff it just isnt powerful enough to continue.

So there you go. RIP the game as far as I can tell, I simply cant afford to continue the build, the good pc I had was a second hand broken laptop and the pc I have left is a 2gb single cored xp machine with 2gb of ram and a 1.9ghz cpu and it just cant cope, even that PC I found outside, someone had left it for the binmen so I reappropriated it. Im a carer for a disabled person and I just simply dont get paid well enough to go out and spend on a new setup.

I was hoping with the changes black ice added and the fact I had managed to coax the laptop back into life after months of it refusing to boot, that I could get onto kickstarter or patreon and if enough people wanted to see the finished game then maybe they'd support me into doing it but looks like that will never come.

I really enjoyed everyones comments and the enthusiasm people showed for the project, I thought finally my time had come and that I could create something that people would enjoy and want to see more of and in all honesty I feel like breaking down and crying and I know that sounds stupid but I been working almost 12 hours a day on this project for months and to see it snatched away with nothing I can do about it just breaks me in a way ive never experienced before.

I cant thank everyone enough for their Kind words and support but for the time being I cant see anyway forward from this. I'll try and continue with the XP machine but in my heart I know this is probably the end. That laptop was my last hope for having access to a computer powerful enough to continue working on the game and including the things I wanted to include and with it gone it feels like everythings over, like the end of a holiday, it was great time, sun, sea, new people and friends, a corner of the internet where people club together and share ideas, and help each other out, finding new ways of doing things and new approaches to the game or the engine. I think thats what Im going to miss the most.

Im going to spend a day or so trying to reorganise and rebuild the game in a more efficient way but some hidden fault is getting built into the finished exe's that come out of this xp machine, limiting the frame rate and a seeming memory leak that acts as a random time bomb, dropping the frame rate to 1 fps without warning after a seemingly arbitrary amount of time and rendering anything compiled through that machine essentially useless.

I was so excited on monday, access to new machine, new possibilities, but after a week of rewriting, rebuilding, remodelling and waiting hours and hours for things to compile only to lose all that work in one fell swoop. I just cant.

Hopefully this wont be the end but its going to be a huge setback and one from which I cant see anyway of recovering

Again thanks for the support everyone. Take care

smoke em if you got em
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2015 19:46 Edited at: 10th Aug 2015 19:47
Quote: "And last night it just went poof... Lightmapping a tiny area (4 medium detailed rooms 2x2 each) the graphics card just gave up the ghost, now all the work, all the updates, the complete rebuild of the game is now lost in there Internals."

Quote: "I was so excited on monday, access to new machine, new possibilities, but after a week of rewriting, rebuilding, remodelling and waiting hours and hours for things to compile only to lose all that work in one fell swoop. I just cant."

The FPSC curse strikes again.

You kind of tricked the curse though because you managed to upload a playable demo of your game - which I found quite refreshing from the approach and very polished from the media you used (not only the map but also the ingame help texts).

But still, another promising game the curse vanquished.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Well.

Having been gone weeks and weeks I have managed to cobble together a working system.

Unfortunately I dont have access to a lot of what was on the previous machine yet so I had to remake almost everything but I will be posting an updated WIP thread with what I managed to do so far.

Its almost a complete rewrite and rebuild at this point, almost entirely new assets and due to not having access to the assets I used for the character selection Ive had to cut that along with the battle system for the time being.

The new game however, now running in vanilla fpscreator at vb1.120.17 and no longer using black ice for the time being is almost entirely a different game while being very similar but I dont want this project to die so rather than overwrite this thread and possibly lose the game Entirely Il post the new version in a seperate thread and Urge everyone who tried this version to please try the newly rebuilt version.

smoke em if you got em

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:04:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:04:01