Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My 3D artwork - Using 3DCoat and/or Zbrush.

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 10th Aug 2015 04:17
Hey guys,

Wanted to show some of the 3D artwork i'm working on in my spare time or when working on my game projects.

I use a few 3D modeling/sculpting programs, which are 3DCoat and Zbrush for sculpting/uv mapping/painting, and i also use Blender, Silo and Truespace for anything that doesn't require sculpting. Blender i use also for rigging/weightpainting and animation, and also iClone (animation).

This first model was done entirely in 3DCoat. It's not yet retopologized, but i'm working on that now. Once retopologized, i will then uv map it, and start painting (the most fun part for me ).

I made this model for a French guy, for his game.

I'm also working on a general 3D art asset pack using PBR materials/textures (for Unity, and perhaps later i'll convert it for other engines).

Anyways, i would love to hear what you guys think about my artwork, and also would love to see some of you guys 3D or 2D art. Always interesting and fun to see the talent of others aswell.

Cheers!

Quote: "Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2015 08:34
The hard surface is looking pretty good, though it could use more detail. Chest pads, shoulder pads, and back pack are just kind of stuck on, add some straps and buckles or a harness of some sort. It will add some visual interest.

The cloth portions are very muddy, and would benefit greatly from more time at lower resolutions.

The feet are a bit flat looking, build up the sole a bit and add some distinction on the heel.

It's not immediately apparent if this guy is military or civilian. I'm guessing military, but the armor is fairly light (if that's what the pads are) and no weaponry or gear. It lacks a certain aggressiveness or even preparedness.

Proportions look good and that's a big one!

Overall, it's a good start, hope this helps

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2015 14:18
Quote: "it could use more detail. Chest pads, shoulder pads, and back pack are just kind of stuck on, add some straps and buckles or a harness of some sort. It will add some visual interest."

Good point, there. He does seem a bit 'unfinished', and i've already made some improvements. The final stage, texturing, will also add a great deal more details, like scratches on the metal, bumps, dents, fiber relief, etc...

Quote: "The cloth portions are very muddy, and would benefit greatly from more time at lower resolutions."

Yeah, perhaps i will add more definition on the wrinkles, make them sharper or more defined.

Quote: "I'm guessing military, but the armor is fairly light (if that's what the pads are) and no weaponry or gear."

Yeah, i guess you could call him military in a sci-fi setting.
Didn't add weapons yet, because i'm creating this model for someone, and we haven't discussed or decided yet who will do the weaponry.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2015 21:00 Edited at: 10th Aug 2015 21:34
Quote: "like scratches on the metal, bumps, dents, fiber relief, etc..."

Why not do this in the sculpting as well?

Regarding the cloth i'd say look at references, if anything else - just copy what you see, it'll help you a great deal. When I made my 3d Soviet Soldier (http://alioli1.deviantart.com/art/Soviet-Soldier-533363090 shameless advert)
I took a picture of my friends baggy "hard textile" pants and just overlayed that - dunno if 3d coat have any reference tools but.

Edit:
http://alioli1.deviantart.com/art/Turnaround-and-Wire-533364772

better image of the cloth, the front doesnt really show what I mean xD

Whose eyes are those eyes?
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2015 22:34
Quote: "Why not do this in the sculpting as well?"

I could, but i kinda prefer to paint them on, instead of sculpting. If sculpted and i want or have to change some details (such as scratches or textile fiber patterns) then i have more work than if i'd just paint the details on later when the mesh is retopologized/uv mapped. Also, 3DCoat has some pretty cool material options, that let you control the parameters at which the materials are generated on your mesh, like curve (of the mesh), angle (also of the mesh or even based on occlusion or curvature map), or even depending on bump map or on colour intensity. For example, i have this 3DCoat metal material that adds more/less rust depending on those parameters mentioned earlier, which can be changed to your needs.

Quote: "Regarding the cloth i'd say look at references"

Yep yep, the guy i'm creating this model for gave me some reference images.

Quote: "dunno if 3d coat have any reference tools but."

Sure has. The reference images can also be projected per view.

@Quik: Nice model btw! What programs do you use for modeling characters?

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2015 22:44
Quote: "@Quik: Nice model btw! What programs do you use for modeling characters? "

Thank you ^^ I used Zbrush, Photoshop and Blender

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2015 13:58
sorry for doublepost:
Quote: "Yep yep, the guy i'm creating this model for gave me some reference images. "

Thing is, i assume they're painted/drawn? It's much much better to also use a few real life images, taken with a camera for clothes - and some surfaces.
I drew my reference image first, and while I am proud of it, and it gave me a good idea of what I wanted to make, it wasn't very helpful in the way of clothes. it helped me with the kind of clothes, but not the wrinkles and such.
Oh well, Good luck ^^

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2015 16:28 Edited at: 20th Aug 2015 01:41
Quote: "it helped me with the kind of clothes, but not the wrinkles and such."

Yeah, i sculpt those in and then bake the normals onto the low poly mesh. 3DCoat also does a good job at occlusion and curvature map baking, and those maps can then be used when painting on your model and make the materials only appear on your model based on the values of those baked maps (occlusion and curvature and also normal map).

Here's the (almost finished) painted model rendered in Unity 5. Looks pretty good, if i say so myself.
I might reduce the shine a bit on the plastic material on his stomach, though.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2015 01:40
And here's another render. Also added a cloak, or skirt (not sure if that's the right word ).
The render was done in 3DCoat, and as you can see, the model renders very well in all kinds of lighting conditions.

This model will appear in a game trailer soon. Can't talk much about the game yet (it's not a game project of mine), but once the vid is done, i'll ask Gil (he's the French guy i made the model for) if i can put a link to his game here.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 05:23
Started working on a new character model in 3D Coat. This time, it's a model for a new enemy for my game 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia'.
The model is a hairy ice creature, and he's almost ready for retopology. Just a few more modifications, and then i can start on making the low poly mesh for him. Not the most funny part, but it has to be done.
Here a couple of images to show you how he looks so far.

What do you guys think?
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 18:42:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 18:42:15