Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2015 06:30 Edited at: 12th Aug 2015 17:45
Story:

Concept:
As the player you awaken from what looks to be a hospital bed. You assume that you were in some accident. The only door out is locked... until you find a not that says "WE ALL DIED SO THAT YOU MAY LIVE". The door slowly opens and you can now explore the floor. Eventually you will meet a nurse that will direct you to the doctor/elevator. Once you are there you will start Chapter 1. Each time you complete a Chapter you will wake up in a different bed as a different person and face the nightmares that haunt them.

As you can tell, I have yet to customize a lot of the original art and entities. Since each chapter has varied elements of gameplay, I have been focusing on scripting and functioning interactions with items. I still enjoyed using the many assets provided by Cosmic Prophet, Arteria, Kumi etc.

Some of the images are with the NOMAD mod. I am still deciding on what I like better.

Sorry if this post is very vague... I will post better images and information once I have my dev system up again.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2015 08:16
Nice work ChadWoodworth. I really like the "covered bridge"
scenes with the rain. Nice effect.
best

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2015 18:40 Edited at: 14th Aug 2015 18:43
The rain is good. Try adding some illumination to the car lights and the scene would be a classically phenomenal scene! It would make a gread stealth shooter if worked out properly.

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2015 10:42 Edited at: 16th Aug 2015 13:32
Your mapping is good, but allow me to give you an advice. Go to your Setup.ini, look for the [GAMEDEBUG] section and put this:

Your screenshots will look WAY better and WAY less aliased with this.

Utinni !
ChadWoodworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you all for your feedback.

@ncmako: The bridge itself is from CosmicProphet's country time pack which I still believe is available somewhere.

@Mriganka: The car model and texture is from the DarkMATTER 3 model pack. It's quite dated, but I intend to apply proper mapping to make the lights appear to be lit. The light beams are from the Metro Theater pack. Right now I am using a lot of art as just place holders until the game is fully playable and then I will go back and create more rich and detailed environments. The game is actually a Horror/Adventure/Psychological thriller. I just did such a poor and vague job with the first W.I.P. post.

@Madcow: Thanks for the tip. I actually did know that but since I have been experimenting with the different mods and build of FPSC I have left the setup.ini as is. I do appreciate any little tips though because I will always miss something. Even if it seems obvious don't hesitate to tell me.

I will be posting a more detailed outline of the game with some "less aliased" screen shots in a little bit. Again, thanks to everyone for the comments.
ChadWoodworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Like I promised... a better outline of Whispers.

The intro begins with a video of the player waking up in what seems to be a hospital. After exploring the room you quickly discover that the door has no handle. Shortly after you find a note, someone unlocks the door and you are able to leave the room. There are three other doors to rooms just like yours but you cannot see through the windows.

A nurse will soon assist you and tell you your name. You do not believe that you are this person that she claims you to be but, she convinces you to see the "Doctor". As you approach the elevator the doors open and reveal a bright light. When you walk in a intro video with a few credits begins to play. I thought it was a good place for it.

Chapter 1. The Apartment (or until I name it something else)
You still do not believe that you are this person but as you explore you will find the chilling truth about what is locked in the closet.

Each chapter you will wake from a different room and live the last few moments of four tainted souls. The worst part is not how to survive... but how to reach a demise.

I was trying for a video but I ran out of time.

S'more shots!

Anamik
Years of Service
User Offline
Screenshot looks awesome! Nice Lightmapping! I like how the shadows are cast when lights fall on the objects.

Best of luck with your project!

I am an indie game developer creating games since 2010.
http://www.amaxang-games.com/p/main.html
ChadWoodworth
Years of Service
User Offline
@Anamik

I'm glad that you like the lightmapping and how the shadows fall... but the truth is that these are only quick environments with an added touch of "I think know what I'm doing". I am currently working on the text/interaction and next... it will be sound and environment. After I have a good game, which I am very close, then I will work on your lightmapping and shadows to point. So be there to judge... please!

Worst Game Ever... This game isn't that bad, but there is a lot of holes. The game itself with cut scenes is 1120MB. That is big considering it takes about 90mins to complete. The story of the game is only apparent when you complete the first chapter and regardless of the choices you make, the story stays the same for the most part.

I think there is a good game here and people will appreciate the final product, but something is missing and I can't figure it out.
ChadWoodworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2015 08:28 Edited at: 16th Sep 2015 19:12
Now this was removed as Chapter 3 because I copied the original version. This is however, a test of some gameplay mechanics and a fun way to test. This was made with the original FPS Creator 1.18 using a few post shaders. The random map is simply using scripts to identify which string of floors the player will be teleported next.

The video/game is boring and made in about an hour but I remember somewhere that someone was looking for a way to make random maps.
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Aww I was really hoping to find a download to a version I could play and test after you were kind enough to do the same for me

What I see looks good tho I find realistic looking games hard to do in FPSC (why I went cartoony it was easier) so seeing this its clear that you really want to make a very atmospheric and chilling game and I think your well on your way to that!

Cant wait till your ready to upload a test version so i can play some

smoke em if you got em
ChadWoodworth
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sinister Spoon
I get what you are saying and I was that close and I whish I had something for you to try, but the "FPSC curse" has been bestowed upon me. I am completely able to build my game in "Vanilla, NOMAD, and BlackICE" without an issues. When I try to run them on different systems they do not work. Now I am using some of my own buddy's PCs and it all is a huge stretch between hardware and software... but only 3 out of 12 of the machines tested will even load the game. The funny thing is my SCP-087 fake game will run just fine on all 12 systems... even after a quick build using BlackICE. I don't get it, but I will. I just don't want to go back to UNITY for this one. I made this on FPSC years ago and I kinda want to keep it there.
ChadWoodworth
Years of Service
User Offline
I figured this all the way out. I have 21 map files being compiled. The NOMAD mod, BlackICE mod are skipping over maps that do not need allocation. I originally had 12 maps and with the original"Vanilla" make but I had to spred some things out. I now have 21 maps that work great. I think the problem is stemming from that map_21 is not a good convention and FPSC refuses to load it. FPSC games work great on this dev system but I keep getting hang-ups on other machines.

I ran everything and checked all scripts. I still am not quitting.

Anyone want to have some fun? I can make a fun game from all the work I put into this project. I can also show how I did it and have someone work with me and spill everything into a cheap horror thrill. Why not?
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 29th Sep 2015 06:39
The pictures looks great! But the video was kind of boring, walking, walking, walking and nothing happends? The sofa needs some work (Smoothing, scaling) Otherwise great work!
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
OK this may be time consume but I sometimes have build issues when asking fpsc to compile everything in one go, I recommend building each level as a seperate exe one at a time, test them all one at a time on all available machines, if they all work great, if any fail, discard them for now, take the built game folder for the 1st level and name it the name of whatever you want the game to be ie The Whisper v1, open up the setup.ini in this game directory, set the level max to whatever number of levels you had that worked as standalone 1 level exes, ie if all 21 worked change levelmax from 1 to 21, copy and past the leve1fpm=, level 1 loading page =, 21 times, and change the numbers from 1 to 21 using the first level as a guide, (you can leave the loading page as is and all levels will use that page) but make sure you change the fpm to whatever the names of the actual fpms in you DEV DIRECTORY were (there wont be a mapbank directory in game but trust me you need to do this its important.

Then open up the level 2 game directory, find the level bank folder, inside you be a folder named level1.zpi and a testlevel, rename level 1 to level 2 (as this is level 2) and copy it into 'The Whispers' game directories levelbank, there should in that directory now be testmap, level1.zip, and level2.zp, then go back up to the files directory and copy over the audiobank/scriptbank/entitybank/texturebank/meshbank basically all the folders that have any assets in required for level 2 to work, as they werent compiled in the level 1 game since each level was compiled one at a time with only the assets needed to run that level, so since your moving the level from one build game to another you will need to move the asset folders too.

Do this for all the built games that you created, renaming each level1.zip to whatever level its replacing, the order MUST BE THE SAME AS IN THE SETUPINI

Once all the assets are in place, the level.zips are renamed correctly, ordered correctly and the setup.ini is filled out correctly the game should load up just fine as though you have built all the levels together in one go

I know it sounds like a pain, but its a method I use to update my games once I built the exe I simply update it by building each level individually exporting it as an exe, renaming and copying the assets, once you set it all up you can then dev your game one level at a time working on a compiled game while also still actively building and adding to it as you go, now when I compile an fpsc game I only ever do it one level at a time since I add them as I build them. In the long run I find it a much easier and more flexible approach being able to make changes to the built game easy and seamlessly without having to rebuild the entire game everytime
smoke em if you got em
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 05:24
Cant You explain this in a less confusing way, like:
1. Do this..
2. Do that..
3. Then do this and that...

Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Not really, its a very confusing process that I only discovered through a lot of trial and error.

Basically Build each level as a seperate exe, at the build game screen number each exe as you build. Example:

Select build game, add a single level (the first level) Name the Exe Level 1 and Click build game, once the game has finished building that first level as a stand alone exe, repeat for all the levels in your game.
So at the end of it in your my games folder you have 'x' number of games, each one corresponding to a level from your intended final game (Level1,Level2,Level3)

So Rename the 'Level1' Built game folder to the name of your game, this will be the games main directory, open up the directory and open the 'files' folder, in that folder you will see a folder labelled 'levelbank' open it up and you will see a zip file titled level1.zip (these folders contain the level geometry data and lightmap data as far as I can tell)

So level one is in the game directory already along with all the assets needed to run it, but the rest of the levels arent yet. So open up the level 2 built game from your my games folder in a seperate window, navigate to the levelbank and open it up, again you will see a 'level1'zip file, However this isnt your inteded level 1, this is the data for your games level 2(since you build each level 1 at a time as a standalone exe then each level zip folder will always be called level 1 since the game names them based on their order not their individual level names), so rename it to level 2 and copy it into the level bank folder of your game directory.

So in the Game Directory's levelbank folder you now have level1.zip, and level2.zip, next you need the assets required for the levels to work.

So you need to copy over any asset folders from the 'level 2' built games file folder over to the level 1 built games file folder, scriptbank, entitybank, texturebank, audiobank, videobank, imagebank, any and all folders and files needed for that second level.

Once thats done you need to open the setup ini, scroll down to where the levelmax=1 is and change it to levelmax=2, copy the fpi and fpm locations underneath, paste them in and replace the 1's with 2's so you now have 4 lines, level1fpm, level1loading page, level 2 fpm, level2loading page, replace the name of the second level with the name of the actual second level as saved in your mapbank folder, save everything and run the game.

If you did everything correctly you should be able to play both the levels as though the game had been compiled with them both to begin with.

Its not a process that everybody will want to go through but for me it offers way more flexibility, everychange to my WIP game has been made to the built game, I built it once around a month and a half ago and have made all changes directly to the compiled game this way, I much prefer working on the compiled game as small but crucial changes can be implemented and updated immediately rather than load fpsc, change the level, wait for the entire game to be compiled, go into the folders and change all the set uplevel, titlepage, loading pages etc back to what they were in the previous game all for the sake of maybe moving a box or a crate or something, horribly inefficient, this way you can simply load the level that needs changing, make the change, compile JUST THAT LEVEL then slot it into the built game as though it was there all along, you just have to make sure any assets the level needs to function correctly are ported over too.

If thats not any clearer I dont know how Much clearer I can be, its a complicated process to learn but once you have it down its great.

If theres enough interest in developing this way I'll set up a tut at somepoint maybe but Im sure Im not the only one who builds this way... AM I? If Im not maybe one of the other experienced FPSC'rs can way in and maybe explain it a bit better
smoke em if you got em
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 10:17
Very nice images! Sounds like a terrific story too!

The video was unwatchable though, it was way too dark (very common in FPSC games I've seen in the forum). Also the flickering lights in places was a bit extreme, it was annoying.

Looking forward to an upload of your game!
Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 16:36:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 16:36:57