Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Ludum Dare / Jam 33

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2015 18:14 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2015 15:11
Ludum Dare / Jam 33
YOU ARE THE MONSTER!

Check out the official website here!

Less than ten hours to go before the start of Ludum Dare / Jam 33! LD is a great way to get into game development, get back into game development or just improve your game development skills.

Each LD competition is given a theme, voted by the community, and you have 48 hours to complete a game based on that theme! There is also a 'Jam' version, giving you an extra 24 hours to complete your game but you won't be able to submit it to the competition.

I'm putting up this thread to see who is entering and give people an outlet on the forums to post updates and get feedback from the community.

If you're entering, let's here what tools you'll be using, if you're in a team who you're working with. Post your preferred LD snack and drink fuel! As you start your entry, post updates, your ideas and get some feedback or give it yourself.

I'll be updating the top post with the competition theme once it's announced and a list of participants and games as everyone starts to dive in.

Above all, have fun and good luck to anyone entering!

I myself am entering. Game style/name yet to be decided until the theme is released.

Tools I'll be using:
- AppGameKit 2
- Truespace 7.6
- Paint Shop Pro 8
- Spine ( I've yet to use this in a project and I'm looking forward to trying it out for the first time )

Participants:
- JLMoondog - Game - "Eat all the Heroes!"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st Aug 2015 19:39 Edited at: 21st Aug 2015 19:53
Hmm, looking forward to seeing the theme and see if it is something for me...

Keep us posted...

EDIT

Going by this list... http://ludumdare.com/compo/ld33-theme-voting-round-5-of-5/ I think I will pass on this one...

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2015 20:20 Edited at: 21st Aug 2015 20:20
I will probably do something for this depending on if I can think of something that fits the theme It's very rare for these to be at a time when I actually have time to do them.

I'll be using C++ with SFML2 as the 'engine', krita or possibly GIMP for graphics and perhaps spine for animations.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2015 21:48
as usual with these challenges, i want to and go in with good intentions, but ended up overloaded with other things to work on get nothing accomplished. i guess I'll see what the theme is and if any ideas grab me

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st Aug 2015 21:50
Just remembered I have a BBQ to attend to on the weekend :/

Two strikes... dang it...

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2015 04:27
And so it begins! The theme is...

YOU ARE THE MONSTER!

Good luck!

Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2015 05:43
I love the theme and have a cool idea for it, but unfortunately I'm moving into the dorms for the college semester tomorrow morning. Tough break, maybe I'll rush something and try to submit it anyways. Good luck to those entering.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Aug 2015 05:52
DARN IT WHY DO I ALWAYS FORGET ABOUT LUDUM DARE

I've wanted to participate the last several years but haven't been able to. Wanted to earlier in the year, missed that one and said I'd catch the one this August... well, now I can't since I've got a bunch of stuff going on this weekend.

I'll catch the next one

Forum President until June 20th, 2016. Bow down to me!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2015 13:37
That tends to be the case for me to yoda.

You are the monster sounds like a pretty good theme, I might already have a couple of ideas for it.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2015 15:10 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2015 15:11
I'm loving the theme too! Already have my game design finished and working out the codez. Giving my game an official title:

Eat all the Heroes!

The game is a randomly generated dungeon rpg in the likes of Eye of the Beholder. Was recently playing these games, on sale on gog.com so go grab them!

Game features:
-10 levels (randomly generated)
-easily mod-able (file system where you can create characters, races, classes, spells, skills, etc and the system will load them in-game)
-choose a classic D20 monster and work your way up from a fortress dungeon to the "Hero Towers" and eat all the Heroes along the way!
-modified d&d d20 system, similar to the classic dungeon crawler games of the 80's-90's ( I love me some stat rolls and mapping out levels on graph paper )

To cut production time for this version, I'm going to hand draw all the graphics using graph paper and a dipping ink pen. Should be fun.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2015 18:10 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2015 02:57
Sounds like you have a large scope for your project, especially the mod-able part of it. Though drawing graphics like that sounds like a lot of fun.

I don't have a name for my project but I do have a somewhat thought out idea.

You will play as someone who can transform between a monster and a human. The goal of the game is to kill as many people as possible before you die but you are defenceless as the human.

In order to avoid being killed as the human, you will need to be hidden when the transformation happens to avoid people knowing who you are. As the monster, you can go around and slaughter people as much as you like.

Edit: Here is my project after a day of work

Now it's time for some sleep

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2015 04:52
So who finished in time? I ended up going on a mini-vacation in the mountains, oops.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2015 12:17
I finished my game with about 15 minutes to spare Here it is:

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-33/?action=preview&uid=26894

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2015 13:46
That's a cool idea Zoq2! I'll give that a shot once a get home.

I spent seven hours vividly hallucinating then I woke up and ate the meat of other animals for energy, now I'm going to do something I don’t want to for eight hours for pieces of paper.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2015 01:30
That's a nice game! I love the hiding-in-things sprites. I thought hiding in a well just before turning into the human seemed pretty foolproof, but one of the guards eventually decided to kill me once after I did it several times. None of the others cared, so I'm not sure why he did.

You should provide a different way to download your game. It always takes me ages to figure out how to download a file from Github, you'll get more ratings if people can download it easily (Dropbox works).

On Steam!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2015 02:00 Edited at: 29th Aug 2015 02:01
Quote: "That's a nice game! I love the hiding-in-things sprites."

Yea, I was pretty happy with those sprites

Quote: " I thought hiding in a well just before turning into the human seemed pretty foolproof, but one of the guards eventually decided to kill me once after I did it several times."

That's strange and isn't supposed to happen. if you get into a hiding spot, you will come out as a human and all guard should be unalerted of your inner demons . The guards can't communicate either so only one guard attacking you makes some sense.

Quote: "ou should provide a different way to download your game. It always takes me ages to figure out how to download a file from Github, you'll get more ratings if people can download it easily (Dropbox works).
"

Oh, I did not notice that. When I added the link, it seemed like it linked directly to the file. I'll change that tomorrow.

Edit: Turns out I didn't set the correct link for some reason, I have updated it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:20:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:20:47