Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Bring life to FPS Creator again Bamber Lee!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 20:33
I still belive in FPSC Vanilla, even though many has left for GG. But I Think many will comeback to FPSC sence lua-scripting is tricky, and not half as easy as fpi-scripting.
FPSC celebrates 10 Years now and need a real facelift, I Think these 3 updates wourld bring new life to FPSC...

1. Bigger World 100x100tiles wourld be perfect!
2. Character shadows and better shader support.
3. New lightmap system. (Same realtime LMs as Game Guru has)

This wourld make a great 10Year Birthday present...
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 21:02
Wow, has it been 10 years since the "Early Adopter". I guess it has been Your suggestions would be nice.

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 06:31
Yeah! Still two months to go on its birthday!

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 16:59
Hello Mr Love,

The little engine that could (FPSCreator Original) is still my engine of choice as well. I realize your title is just for discussion, but I seriously doubt we'll be seeing Lee here, or any official updates. Check out Black Ice mod to get more speed, nicer shaders, lighting, etc.

As for a larger grid I'm afraid that would seriously tax the DB core too it's death.

Good to hear from you again,
Brian.

I'm sorry. My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
All Downloads are now HERE
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 20:25
Hi Everybody!
"Check out Black Ice mod to get more speed, nicer shaders, lighting, etc."

I have used speedup dlls for along time, BI wasnt first.

"As for a larger grid I'm afraid that would seriously tax the DB core too it's death."

Why do You Think that? FPSC is DB Pro and this engine can handle more than 1000x1000 tiles. 100x100x50 wourld be no match for FPSC!
Its HOW and what You build that matters. If You fill every Square-centimeter with highpoly detail-objects even a C+ Engine will have some serious problems. A standard buildt game wourld work fine with 100x100x50 tiles. And how often do You build 50 floors?
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 23:51 Edited at: 15th Sep 2015 23:57
Quote: "I have used speedup dlls for along time, BI wasnt first.
"

Black Ice mod doesn't use any speed up dlls at all so get your facts right before posting please.

Black Ice mod has a complete new timer system to improve the speed and has a lot of source changes that can't be done with a dll.

It up to you if you use the mod or not we don't force anyone to use the mod its there if people wish to use it.

Quote: "Why do You Think that? FPSC is DB Pro and this engine can handle more than 1000x1000 tiles. 100x100x50 wourld be no match for FPSC!"

The main reason its a bad idea to extend the map size is because of the 32bit app limit of 2gb, you would fill this up pretty fast with a bigger map.

We been trying to get a new compiler for dbp from lee to use 4gb limit but he pretty busy at the moment with GG, with a newer 4gb limit it would be more possible to have a bigger map size.

Nice to see you around on the forums again missed your negative comments lol.(meant in a nice way.)

best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2015 00:08
"Nice to see you around on the forums again missed your negative comments lol.(meant in a nice way.)"

LOL! Thank You...

"Black Ice mod doesn't use any speed up dlls at all so get your facts right before posting please."

BTW I thought Black Ice mod was only two dll files? So where can I download the .exe file then?
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 16th Sep 2015 03:40
Here.

I'm sorry. My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
All Downloads are now HERE
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2015 06:24
Quote: "As for a larger grid I'm afraid that would seriously tax the DB core too it's death."

There are some plugins that can do that alone.

Quote: "The main reason its a bad idea to extend the map size is because of the 32bit app limit of 2gb, you would fill this up pretty fast with a bigger map."

The Community mod had the "bigger grid size" but there were issues. You would have to recode the segment code to allow for bigger grid, water, as well as AI. While you are correct that the VM limit would fill up quickly, there would be major crashes without recoding the other sections to allow for the bigger size. The Community mod was on that path, but it was buggy and needed some major work to make it work.

It would be easier to rescale everything to a smaller size and remain with the 40x40 grid in the current state of FPSC.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 01:58
As s4real has said, it would only be worth investing the time to implement a larger map properly if we get the memory cap extended to 4GB. Lee might be able to help us with an unsupported version of the DBPro compiler but he is very busy with GG so this might not happen anytime soon.

@Mr Love
Give Black Ice Mod a try as this has a new lightmapper and better shaders. We are actively working on the mod and hope to bring even more improvements soon.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 21:36
"There are some plugins that can do that alone."

What did You mean with that Blackfox?

"Give Black Ice Mod a try as this has a new lightmapper and better shaders. We are actively working on the mod and hope to bring even more improvements soon."

GIMME JUST SOME WORKING CHARACTER SHADOWS, THATS ALL I ASK FOR,
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! (LOL!)

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2015 21:40
And please Bamber Lee, bring back the "fast-test" button again! (It worked fine in version 1, so why remove it?)
It can take 10-20 minutes to "test-compile" the game and to wait this time many times can bring You insane...
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 05:33
They could even try bringing the depth-buffur back to stimulate depth-of-field.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 11:10
I didnt even know they removed it, Mriganka..
The most important to Me is getting a bigger world, My levels dont fit into this small 40x40 world. And almost as important is getting the "quicktest-game" button back. (Its a living hell waiting 10-20 minutes for the test-game to start. FPSC is 10 years old and still no Character shadows(?!) why not? But on the positive side I want to credit LEE Bamber for an engine that runs smooth and does its work in the latest builds...
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Im inclined to agree with s4 on this, the engine has some optimization issues that cant be addressed as easily as you think it can and s4 and nomad have done amazing work on black ice mod, if you need bigger worlds then you can use the next level command along with triggerzones and clever load screens to 'extend' the map size as much as you like but its a compromise and always will be. Black Ice is the best thing to hit FPSC since Ive used it and if you cant find what your looking for in it then it probably cant be coded into FPSC at all.
smoke em if you got em
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 04:48
What does Black Ice have that dont vanilla has, except some bubbles in the water and some new shaders. Im not so impressed of what I have seen of Black Ice so far.
(And for these new shaders You need a geforce 8800 card, not impressing)
I rather use an older version of Nomad Mod. (If I courld find one.)

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What does Black Ice have that dont vanilla has,"

Over 80 new commands and loads of scripts to start with and 0mb lightmapping.

There a lot of stuff under the boot that needs scripting skills to get the most out of black ice mod but we have included a lot of scripts with black ice mod to get you started.

Quote: "Im not so impressed of what I have seen of Black Ice so far"

If you not impressed then that's fine by us , as we said depending what game you making black ice mod may not be for you and if you happy with standard fpsc then use that as we don't force anyone to use the mod and you in your right if you not impressed.

Quote: "(And for these new shaders You need a geforce 8800 card, not impressing)"

The shader do infact work on lower spec graphics cards and have been slimmed down to be faster than nomad mod original shaders, so infact they are faster and better than older versions of nomad mod.

The reason we said a geforce 8800 is because this is a low spec card in todays gaming world and most people should have a higher spec graphics card.

all the best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah again I agree with S4, to dismiss Black Ice the way you do is borderline offensive, the optimization it adds as well as the huge boost from lightmapping app is insane and pretty much responsible for my game getting anywhere at all, you seem content to ask for things but have no idea on the back end whats needed to make these features and when presented with the best compromise FPSC has you dismiss it out of hand because it doesnt have the features you want. End of the day the point still remains, whatever you think about Black Ice or other source mods, the mods are made for a reason, that reason being FPSC lacks the functionality these mods add, so people mod the source code to add them. So they offer way more features than plain vanilla FPSC, as S4 said the commands alone it offers are insane. If you dont like the compromises offered here thats fine, but your not going to get exactly what your asking for because it simply cant be done. The mods add as much as they can to FPSC and if you want more the only thing you can do is sit there wanting and dreaming. Or like the rest of us, you can make do with what you got, work around the issues or simply give up and move over to a different engine. As for GPU's the shaders work fine on my system and Im using a crappy laptop with integrated graphics so your point blank wrong there.

Peace out...
smoke em if you got em
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2015 00:12 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2015 00:23
"Or like the rest of us, you can make do with what you got"

I probably do more level-building in a week Than You do in a year! "Or like the rest of us" You write.. What in h--l gives You the right to speak for everyone else in this forum?
I know what You are, a true fpsc hater, that want fpsc to die slowly, and it does thanks to people like You! I have been making games sence I got My first C64 (around 1982) were You even born then?!
I have been offered one job as a game developer in Carlifornia, and one job as a 3d designer in Stockholm! WHAT DO YOU HAVE FOR REFERENCES!?
And dont dare to speak for others here again FPSC HATER!!! You are a true opportunist (If you know what it means)........
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2015 18:53 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2015 18:54
Quote: "I probably do more level-building in a week Than You do in a year!"

Care to show it to us, please ?
Utinni !
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2015 21:30
No, I cant show it to "us"...
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 05:37 Edited at: 4th Oct 2015 05:39
Of course, as always.
Utinni !
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2015 03:33
Well, how often do You post screenshots of Your work Madcow? Here is one from Me. Its an liquid-metal guy that I maybe will use in My game later on...
Its not really yellow, its the light in the scene that make it look yellow...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2015 07:25
Here is two old models I made 100 years ago.. Funny they fit in perfectly in My new game...
Ok Madcow, Your turn to show a screenshot from Your project.. (If You have one)

Attachments

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 13:15 Edited at: 12th Oct 2015 13:21
The second screenshot looks great. You sir have talent, that's certain.

I have no project for the moment, but here's a random screenshot from a previous (and released during March 2015) sci-fi project.
Utinni !

Attachments

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 16:00
Thanks for Your nice words! My project is just growing and growing, so I dont know where it will end... (Probably at the hospital, lol) It start with Drones and ends with sharks, so its sad Im sutch a bad .fpi scripter though...
Your screenshot looks awesome. You use alot of FX, like normal-mapping and so on.. Looks good! (I dont have mutch FX at all in My game, then it wourld take forever to finish it.)
FPSC is an awesome engine to build in. But mutch can still be better...

BTW YES AMIGA RULES!!!

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 16:13 Edited at: 12th Oct 2015 16:14
Glad you like it, and yes I'm always using shaders in my projects.
Yeah, I loved the Amiga too, I've discovered video games with it.
Utinni !
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2015 16:28
Well, I got and started up with the Commodore 64, it was a supercomputer for its time (around 1982).. After that I got an Amiga as a birthday present (around 1990), and it still rules... There is a bunch of Amiga emulators on the internet perhaps I will download one later, when I dont have so mutch work with My game. But I guess We are a little bit off topic now...
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2015 15:10
Some work I have done recently...

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:44:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:44:37