Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Indexing the TGC Forums

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 14:19
bitJericho mentioned this, but I have no idea how this kind of thing works. This thread is for discussion. I.e. is it viable, will it put huge strain on their servers, how much disk space is required, is it legal, etc., etc.

Begin.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 16:31
Looks like step 1 is permission, which is to be expected...

[quote]2.1 Do not make offline versions of our websites
2.2 Do not mirror our website unless you are an official publisher
2.3 Do not link into search results without express written permission
2.4 Do not extract or reuse any information from our site without express written permission
2.5 You use all info

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 18:00 Edited at: 21st Sep 2015 18:07
You are not allowed to make offline versions of any of our websites without permission. I imagine there are limited uses for an offline version as only you would be able to access. Attempting to duplicate the content of any of our sites with the intent to place online in any form will be especially frowned upon and we will issue take down requests for the content, it can cause issues with search rankings if duplicate versions of our sites start popping up.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Can TGC own the comments made on a public forum?
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 18:09 Edited at: 21st Sep 2015 18:11
Quote: "5.1 All third party files offered on our web sites remain the copyright of their respective holders. The postings made in the Forums remain the copyright of their respective author.

5.2 By posting your messages / files and screen shots to our web sites you are giving us express permission to display and redistribute those files in any manner we see fit including all forms of digital and printed media."

As you can see we do not own the copyrights to what you upload or say. However we do own the context they are displayed in and own the permissions to redistribute where ever we want. This means you cannot duplicate the actual site or anyone else's comments/content without permission from TGC.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 18:22
What if someone were to write a "search engine" that indexes the posting competition? There's a LOT of good information in there but it gets lost as soon as it falls off the first page.

"Windows 10 doesn't only include spyware, it is designed as spyware" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 19:16
If the search engine linked to the TGC version of the pages and content and did not actually host any of the content itself, other than the index needed for the engine to operate that would probably be fine.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 21:30
And there's no problem writing in and asking for consent? As they say, you don't ask, you don't get. Worst that can happen is they say "no". Either that or find out where you live and Lee Bamber comes to assassinate you himself, I wouldn't put it past him.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 09:57
Quote: "You are not allowed to make offline versions of any of our websites without permission. I imagine there are limited uses for an offline version as only you would be able to access. Attempting to duplicate the content of any of our sites with the intent to place online in any form will be especially frowned upon and we will issue take down requests for the content, it can cause issues with search rankings if duplicate versions of our sites start popping up."

That's what I thought might be the case. I didn't think of checking the AUP though

Quote: "And there's no problem writing in and asking for consent? As they say, you don't ask, you don't get. Worst that can happen is they say "no". Either that or find out where you live and Lee Bamber comes to assassinate you himself, I wouldn't put it past him."

+1 to this. Especially the part about Lee.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2015 13:17
Actually, for anyone interested, The Wayback Machine contains archives of both the original DarkBasic website and forums (way back in 1999!) as well as the current TGC site and forums (back to 2003). As far as I can tell, all forum posts are archived, but any attachments that required a login will obviously not be archived.

I love The Wayback Machine. Super cool seeing how the old DB website used to look! The internet was so much simpler back then...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 24th Sep 2015 19:58 Edited at: 24th Sep 2015 19:58
I was thinking about that and now it happens to wonder, is the rule of making an offline copy OR HOSTING A COPY being dodgy, As I was going to state, it is possible to host a non-indexed version...

However making a copy of the forum is a little beyond me at this moment in time... by that I mean Content and attachments not just text and pages... otherwise making a copy would be pointless...

Hey does the wayback machine include BIG RED BUTTONED user posts?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 02:06
Typically I found out that the Wayback Machine only archives a couple of links of depth. Stupid storage limitations...

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 02:10
What type of database are they using? SQL? Consideration for moving to a nosql database like cassandra or the new ScyllaDB? Maybe Hadoop?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 09:20
Meows Said ::
Quote: "Think about it Years and Years of how too's in game creations and programming, How too's of model making, Graphics.. shading and on and on.

How about a link to download

Rick are you going to weigh in on this. You know the value you have here.
"

OK guys, this is important, please give it a thought. I belong to paid sites that have HALF or less content. than u have here.
I use old 586 linux boxs set up for just what you have here it caches TB of data 50 megs at a go for the subject matter. I suggest 8 old boxes set in parallel.

So unless you hit the LOTO and have no need for money, why are you throwing away a great no sweat 5K a month subscription service?

Add the subscription service (with a catchy name) to every single product you have for 15 dollars a year.

Clonkex
Quote: "is it viable, will it put huge strain on their servers, how much disk space is required"

ANSWER.. No strain use old boxes daisy chained. Some one there has to know the basics of networking.. I am 65 and have been doing this for 33 years.
This is the Golden Goose that laid the Golden Egg.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2015 10:43
Quote: "ANSWER.. No strain use old boxes daisy chained. Some one there has to know the basics of networking.. I am 65 and have been doing this for 33 years.
This is the Golden Goose that laid the Golden Egg."

I mean TGC's servers. If we were to constantly download TGC's website, it would be a larger-than-normal load on their servers.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2015 10:45
Quote: "If we were to constantly download TGC's website, it would be a larger-than-normal load on their servers."

If you were to try our firewall would block you, we have a request limit at which point your IP will be blacklisted.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 00:10
Quote: "If you were to try our firewall would block you, we have a request limit at which point your IP will be blacklisted."

I like this approach
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 13:33
Quote: "If you were to try our firewall would block you, we have a request limit at which point your IP will be blacklisted."

This is what I would have thought and why I've made no attempt to surreptitiously download your forum - I would be horrified if I lost my account
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 16:18
Horrified you say? It would be such a shame if somebody abused their power? Oh what? Oh? Yes. I didn't' say anything.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 03:53
Quote: "Horrified you say? It would be such a shame if somebody abused their power? Oh what? Oh? Yes. I didn't' say anything."

I have become confused by this post. I feel as though the tongue is well into the cheek, but am unable to see the point.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 05:15
I think he's just being silly.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 07:08
There is no point. It's a joke.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 04:45
Quote: "There is no point. It's a joke."

I know. I meant the point of the joke. IOW I can't see what the joke is.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 18:33
You said you'd be horrified if you'd lose your account and I have the power to make such a thing happen, so I was jokingly hinting that I was going to do that, but then pretending I didn't imply such a thing, all in tongue & cheek. Guess maybe I was trying to be too subtle.

Bah, it's usually a sign your joke has failed when you have to explain it. I shall work on my delivery in future.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 06:57
Quote: "You said you'd be horrified if you'd lose your account and I have the power to make such a thing happen, so I was jokingly hinting that I was going to do that, but then pretending I didn't imply such a thing, all in tongue & cheek."

OH I see now! Seems really obvious now you spell it out.

Quote: "Guess maybe I was trying to be too subtle.

Bah, it's usually a sign your joke has failed when you have to explain it. I shall work on my delivery in future."

Not at all! I just forgot you were a mod because the badges aren't yet gold again. Would've made much more sense if I'd realised that....
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 9th Oct 2015 20:30
btw it got archived

http://archive.fart.website/archivebot/viewer/job/6n07r

it'll be added to the internet archive soon, otherwise download them and get a warc viewer.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:59:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:59:12