Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Characters alternative damage texture

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all im new to the forums and have been learning FPSC for a couple of weeks now, i searched the forums in regards to an enemy showing an alternative texture if they are shot or if they are dead. I searched and read that in previous versions this could not be done im just wondering if its been updated yet or is possible.

Thanks
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 14:17
Hi dazo, and welcome.
The forums just switched to a new layout and server, and I must say the "forum search" isn't working like it used to.
Search results seem limited for some reason? A search on "alttexture" should have resulted on a wealth of info.
To have an NPC switch to an "alttexture" is very easy to do. If you dont have it, grab a copy of the complete "syntax"
list ...https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/180924
You can add to the NPC's main script anything like "damageby= or "shotdamage=" or even "healthless="
to trigger the "alttexture". But yes, it has been working for a long time
best
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
dazo
Years of Service
User Offline
Thankyou so much mate i didnt even realise that up to date syntax list was available im still a noob lol Anyways im all sorted now thanks again
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
One addendum I will add since I was using this feature at first on my 3D menu is that it will work perfectly in the editor, but for me at least, doesnt function in a built game if you export the image/texture assets as an imageblock, you need to turn imageblockmode=1 to 0 in the buildsetup so the folders with the textures in get moved over to the game directory when its built. At least as far as I can tell, it wouldnt work in a built game unless I had the imagebank/texturebank folders built into the game instead of the compressed imageblock.

As I say this is just something *I* encountered, it might have been due to a different reason but just thought Id give a heads up that results in the editor may vary in a built game.
smoke em if you got em
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 18:29
@Sinister Spoon I'm glad you brought that up. So your saying try turning OFF the imageblackmode, correct?
The "imageblock" is used to compress the images into the "imageblock.bin file? By not using it, is your
built game much larger? (or am I incorrect on this matter)
dazo
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive got it working guys but i have a problem, it is working when i shoot my enemies the textures change but if im using a melee weapon the textures don't change i thought shotdamage=1 covered both guns and melee, anyone have any ideas?

thanks
dazo
Years of Service
User Offline
Nevermind guys got it working thanks for all of the advice!
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah @ncmako, your correct the built game IS much larger but not by a huge amount, at least for me anyway, the imageblock was usually coming in at around 18-24mb for my little project and the seperate folders when ported over come in at around 30mb-ish so its negligible in my eyes, but yeah it doesnt seem to enjoy using alttextures if you have the imageblock.bin instead of the raw image files.

What I normally do is make sure all my image files are compressed as far down as they can go, Im experimenting with the different dds compression methods but png's seem to hit around 26kb-120kb and 1024x1024 dds At around 512kb, but since I include a metric tonne of full video in my game i dont sweat the small stuff like images and with people growing accustomed to 1-4gb downloads I dont think its going to matter on the user end too much and using a compression tool to pack the game like vishnu packer, lock and launcher combined with a Click team installer, you get a nice condensed file, I mean the footprint on a built game for me at the moment is around 700mb, with the installer compressed and packed that comes down to around 250mb, so i think using imageblocks is a pretty inefficient way to go about things in the long run, it affects texture functionality adversely as far as i can tell, means I cant edit images and textures in a built game without rebuilding the whole damn thing, and just seems like something thats maybe useful but not really to me. Im sure BlackFox responded in a post I made ages back saying something along the lines of .png format and no imageblock being the best way to go? Or I may have imagined that, but its true for me anyway
smoke em if you got em
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 15:14
@Sinister Spoon Yeah, I have been playing around with .png's and I'll try using those instead of .dds
in a build with imageblock off. I'll do some comparisons. Thanks.
Quote: "BlackFox responded in a post I made ages back"

Yes, I remember that exact posting
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 08:20
Yeah! With imageblock disabled stiching up levels becomes way easier and we don't have to rely on a parent imageblock to compensate for texture losses while stiching up. The only drawback maybe a tiny bit of longer loading time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:11:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:11:18