Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Why oh Why did my demo expire???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This sucks. I finally start digging into DBPro. I even FINALLY ordered it. I thought the Alienware demo was supposed to last until the end of the year, which would be PLENTY of time for my copy to arrive in the mail. But NO..... it expired early.
Now: I've finally paid for pro. I have a project that I'm working on. I have the ambition and time to work on it. But, low and behold.... I can't! Ho, hum.

WOLF

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 16:55 Edited at: 10th Dec 2003 16:55
When did you install it ? And have you used any other DBPro demos ?

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 16:56
I think it's very unfair. Compo page states:

Quote: "What's more you don't even need to already own DarkBASIC Professional in order to take part because we have created a special Trial version of it just for you. This trial version will not expire for the entire duration of this competition and comes complete with the full help system intact."

I think this should be taken up with TGC as a lot of people downloaded the demo and are finding it expiring as deadline approaches.

Boo!
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 17:05
it never seed that any were. it seed the new Trial version wood last 90 day it did not say any thing about it lasting till the end of the competition.

--Dr 0--
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 17:11
Then where did the text Spooky just quoted come from? I think this is a problem.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 17:14 Edited at: 10th Dec 2003 17:16
Well, since I'm not working on a competition entry, I can't complain too much. I did have a different trial version installed earlier, but never had the desire to mess around with it.
It is just the paradox that gets me. I installed the demo and barely used it. In the last 2 weeks I've been digging into DBPro pretty heavily and started on a project. I got into it enough that I finally decided to order it. Then, sure enough, the demo expires.
So, now that I bought it and I actually want to use it.... I can't!

*EDIT*
By the way, I did try to uninstall the demo and re-install it for a waist of 10 minutes. Oh well....

WOLF

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 17:17
Main Alienware compo page (http://www.thegamecreators.com/?gf=alienware) has two conflicting statements.

At top of page it clearly states demo is for duration of compo but at bottom it states it is a 90-day demo. This is stupid as TGC released demo 4 months before compo deadline and not 3.

I expect to see more people having similar problems in next few weeks.

They should not be forced to buy full DBPro to enter compo.

Maybe a small patch could be released to extend trial demo by another month.

Boo!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 17:42
The problem is that the more trial versions and quick fixes - the more chance of them being cracked and TGC losing out.

It sucks, but besides an OS reinstall there's not much anyone can do. It is cool to hear your getting into DBPro Wolf, hope this little setback does'nt cool your jets any.

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 17:44
Quote: "They should not be forced to buy full DBPro to enter compo."

I think thats even a legal requirement isn't it?
Thats why all promotional compertitions have a way to enter without buying the product.

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 18:03
You can uninstall the demo ,clear the DBPRO registry entrys outta the registry, and reinstall it. I think it'll work.

I'm sick of Signatures
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 18:46
you guys could probably understand why i thought the demo lasted until the begining of December.
because it was suppose to last 3 months (90days) hence the demo lasting that long... but i think the demo was released before the competition was started.
With all of the excitment around the 5.2 update i think.

thought really they're obligated to fixx this for anyone who complains as the rules would be a legal agreement of sorts, 3months is still long enough and the demo doesn't run out from "August 22nd -> November 22nd" but from 90days when you installed it.

So some will run out and others won't. However i don't see anyone breaking the time lock, as it's hard coded just like it is in the other trials. You'd actually have to recode some of the Compiler itself and 3 of the libraries which could cause it to become completely unstable. Especially considering the Compiler and libraries are missing around 5% of the Final Build code, means you edit the locks and you're more likely to corrupt the entire thing without adding in the Final Build replacement code. And it isn't exactly a case of simply cutting and pasting the ASM lol

but anyways thats beyond the point. yeah there is a second of the registery you'll have to delete to restart the timer.
but it isn't in any of the normal places, so if you really wanted to do it i'd recommened restoring from a backup registry...

you have to do this with Max6 now, becuase it has a tendancy to screw up when you install Character Studio and want revalidation... only ends up with 2 extra sets of 4 digits at the end. You can now compensate but for some reason it only accepts it for that run.

i'm begining to hate registry programs, i want TCPA software now! hahaa

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not going to screw around with the registry for this. It's not that I am afraid to, but I don't feel like I should have to HACK it to get it to work. The demo that I downloaded expired and the full vesrion is on it's way. The timing just sucks.
I also don't think they are OBLIGATED to do anything. If I was working on a competition entry my feelings might be different though.

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I was just going to post that you should uninstall and delete the registry keys; seems as though you've already reject that idea though...

If I were you though that's what I'd do.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 22:14
Messing with your registry isn't hacking... it's all bits 'n' bytes on your computer . I understand why you're peeved, tho.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I had a quick look. Nothing was obvious enough for me to try it. If anyone knows exactly what to do, send me an e-mail:
ericksonline@yahoo.com

Thanks!

WOLF

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 10:18
Check out the DBPro boards, Rich has put up a post about what to do if your demo expires before the deadline.

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 15:05
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=21595&b=1

We love you Rich... well I don't, I have the full version of Pro. But I'm sure some other people do!

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for pointing that out to me Van-B!
This is very kind of TGC!

HOOOWWWLLL!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:29:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:29:54