Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2015 10:53
Out of curiosity, have any games made by FPS Creator or Guru been sold in shops or any online retailers and if so, how did it do?
Filmmaker, photographer and an all round nice guy.
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2015 15:32 Edited at: 11th Dec 2015 15:42
Homegrown's games have been sold, all of them were failures and were panned by critics AND players.

Even if a game made with FPS Creator can be sold it won't sell well. Using FPS Creator is a hobby and nothing else. While it's the perfect tool to make your first steps in videogame development, it hasn't been designed to compete with today (and yesterday's ones)'s standards..
Utinni !
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 11th Dec 2015 16:03
Great answer. In the early days, you could make a little cash selling content, but as time went on, we were flooded with more and more great, free content. It's still the most fun you'll have for the price, but it's not a money maker. That said, there are exceptions to every rule and I do know of one user who makes money with it, but it's mainly because he has a system in place and additional expertise and resources to round out his offerings. It is possible, but not probable.

Brian.
I\'m sorry. My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
All Downloads are now HERE
Garyjayuk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2015 17:04
I was just curious as I am quite new to the whole thing, but I must admite I'm enjoying building the maps etc.
It's all a good learning curve and everyone here seems really helpful.

Cheers for replying
Filmmaker, photographer and an all round nice guy.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 11th Dec 2015 17:50
Yep! One game did sell very well by an "online-company" about 6-7 years ago. Dont remember the title though...
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2015 20:14 Edited at: 17th Dec 2015 20:32
Quote: "Homegrown's games have been sold, all of them were failures and were panned by critics AND players."

I believe Into The Dark was a fair success and wasn't panned by all critics and players. They wouldn't have continued the series if that were the case being a small Indie development company you wouldn't invest any more time and money into it if it were a failure. It made a good amount of sales so players didn't pan it either or no one would have bought it.
Maybe it did receive some bad reviews and had bugs but I have yet to see any game AAA or otherwise that didn't.

The real question isn't if FPSC is capable of producing a worthy commercial game rather than users being able to produce a game with imagination, good gameplay and consistent quality. By the very nature of its user base FPSC has produced more poor quality games than good, this isn't a slur on users since most are beginners and hobbyists and it takes a lot of talent and skill in many different disciplines to make anything worthwhile.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2015 23:02
Quote: "Even if a game made with FPS Creator can be sold it won't sell well. Using FPS Creator is a hobby and nothing else."

A hammer and saw can be used by both a professional or a hobbyist. The same can be said about FPS Creator. There have been both good developments and concepts that have been created with this software, and there has been (for lack of better word) rushed and unpolished developments. A lot has to do with the user, how the tools are used (which included understanding what can be done and what cannot be done versus what can be done but may cause issues), and the amount of time that user wants/is willing to spend on the development. To suggest that FPS Creator is a hobby and nothing else is contrary to what we have achieved with it, both in income and the contracts we currently hold. Target and presentation is key, as well as having a good system, resources, contacts, and sticking to the plan. Plus, FPS Creator is not just about making a game- it can be used (and has been used successfully) for training purposes in certain industries (jobs). Sometimes you just have to think outside the box without overextending the scope and capability of the software.

Quote: "have any games made by FPS Creator or Guru been sold in shops or any online retailers and if so, how did it do? "

My wife, daughter, and I run our own business. While we have not sold our games to retailers (yet), we do have clients in schools and a couple other trades that have purchased our work and contract us for other work. We have done extremely well and continue to do so with FPS Creator. At some point we may venture to release finished developments to the public, but it would require time to decide how and what best target audience/device/etc would be the most practical at the time.
There\'s no problem that can\'t be solved without applying a little scripting.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2015 23:48
@blackfox

you have said for several years that you make games for companies and make money with fpsc. Do you have a showcase reel or something that you could show us? I think it would be cool to see.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2015 18:07
I would be interested in seeing that myself!
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 10:19
Rolfy, by "failures" I was talking about players' reception rather than sales.
Utinni !
I have released several games but didn't earned any badges for this... meh, who needs badges when you get talent ?
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 17:12 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2015 17:15
Quote: "Rolfy, by "failures" I was talking about players' reception rather than sales. "

Primarily yours! But heck, I agree, especially compared to the big titles out there. But it has its rightful place among all the point and click budget titles, doesn't it?
Into the dark has 6 out of 10 on Steam ^__^. Altough I doubt you could still pull that these days.

Here is a more complete (but old) list of commercial titles. Keep in mind that that aera where this was a way to make some cash is, as xplosys has pointed out, over.

LINK TO LIST

A fun trivia is that there was a "erotic game" made using FPSC...where you rescue babes. Its as horrible as it sounds and from 2007.
I can't name it or link to it for obvious reasons, but those who are interested and of whom I know that they are adults can PM me and I link them to it.

-Wolf
\"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!\" - Rick Bamber
gomiamiheay6t
Years of Service
User Offline
I know I am a noobie here but I have played a ton of indie games that are released on steam. Let me just say the amount of features in some of those games makes even a stock FPSC game look completely advanced and they actually received great feedback. Not for game features or graphics but for storyline content etc. The stuff the creator can control.

Price is also a big thing, even if you put out a piece of junk if your final price was like 2 dollars a lot of people will just say well you get what you pay for. Once you get past like the say 7-8 dollar mark is when I've seen reviews on steam indie games start to get really sour if it's not up to par with newer games that are 50-60 bucks.

You just don't see any fpsc games released very often, I actually looked 3 weeks ago on steam thinking I would have seen a TON of fpsc games created -before I actually used and realized how many bugs you gotta work around-. I didn't find any that appeared to be made on fpsc at all. I recall seeing one sometime ago but I wasn't able to find it again. Now that I been using this thing for 3 weeks its like yeah, I can completely see where a lot of people probably just jump ship. Massive props to TGC for making a simple game maker like this one, and I suppose if you can iron out the bugs they almost help this engine not be completely oversaturated because think of how cluttered the market would be if every game someone made came out flawlessly xD.

Anyways to end the rant you can make money with a fpsc game, look at games like Flappy Bird....some other successful steam games that are almost completely just cut scenes with no game features hardly....you gotta use something you can't get from a game engine called imagination.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2015 12:50
Yes and no. You can certainly make something sell-able in FPSC... however, you will most likely not be able to play it.

My first larger release has not worked for over 50% of the players (estimate) and I finished 2 whole projects that simply didn't load past level 1 or level 3.

-Wolf
\"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!\" - Rick Bamber
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2016 22:16 Edited at: 8th Feb 2016 22:21
Quote: "Rolfy, by "failures" I was talking about players' reception rather than sales. "

Well, partially right.

The first game, "Robert D. Anderson & The Legacy of Cthulhu" (2007), made 160.000$ - 200.000$ revenue (for the publisher, not Homegrown), with fair calculated marketing budget and CoGs this meant a 300% ROI for them. It got one "Special Game of the Month" award by Gamestar (IDG media), was 2nd in "Horror Game of the Year" in the softpedia editors choice awards, received a "Special Atmosphere Medal" on shooterplanet and came in 8th in the Top 10 games of OGH in 2007.
Parts of the games story were included into the Cthulhu / HPL Canon.

Into the Dark has so far sold 50.000 - 80.000 copies . Can´t tell the boxed unfortunately as I never got the numbers. On Steam it has so far 36500 activated copies (with a total of ~ 42.000 keys sold including bundles). 13.000 "active" players.
It won:

- Game of the Year 2014 - Community Favorite Gamestar Magazine Germany (Steam Edition)
- Game of the Year 2013 - OGH
- Upcoming Indie of the Year: Best Adventure, IOTY Awards
- Upcoming Indie of the Year: 4th Total, IOTY Awards
- Indie of the Year: Best Adventure, IOTY Awards
- Indie of the Year: 6th Place total, IOTY Awards
- Best Horror Game 2014 - OGH (Steam Edition)
- 3rd in the Top 10 Games of 2014 - AET Newsweek print (Steam Edition)
- Editors Choice VLC business insider print (Steam Edition)

The extended worldwide average press rating including Blogs and Print-only mags is currently at 6.8 / 10, the average metacritics userscore is 7.3 / 10.

To sum it up, we can happily live with that
Producer @ Mipumi Games
CEO Homegrown Games
Come to where the madness is:http://www.indiedb.com/games/into-the-dark

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 18:31:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 18:31:10