Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Pre-Release Screenshots?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 13:31 Edited at: 11th Dec 2003 13:32
I've just had a thought (no really)

I'm usually hearing these DBDNers talking about how cool some of the alpha stage stuff is for U6, U7, U18... whatever.

I appreciate that they're covered by an NDA, and that's why the extent of the descriptions are "trust me, it's cool".

I also appreciate that TGC can end up making a fair penny by charging for access to this pre-release "very cool" stuff.

However, surely it wouldn't hurt for TGC to release 1 or maybe even 2 of the coolest screenies of these upcoming releases? If you think about it, every other DBP owner is just clinging on to their copy through goodwill. We're just beleiving you when you say "this stuff will be cool", but you'd certainly appease the masses if you could release some kinda pictorial example of why we should continue to wait patiently...

Just a thought.

Can I ask you a Question?
What is it?
It's an interrogative form of sentence, used to test knowledge. But that's not important right now.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 13:36 Edited at: 11th Dec 2003 13:36
You should have been at the Convention - then you would have seen various interesting things...

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 14:18
There's little point showing a screenshot of the latest developments, the hum of anticipation is comming from the possibilities we'll have when DBPro is developed more, not how cool a water shader looks.

I'm more interested in the .DBO format and boned memblock meshes than any amount of eye candy.

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 14:30
I don't want to see water shaders... far from it.

I want to see a nicely textured terrain... for example.

What is it?
It's an interrogative form of sentence, used to test knowledge. But that's not important right now.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 14:32
I agree, I wanna see a few screenies. I don't plan to get Pro until I see it will become somewhat stable soon. The Bug Reports forum scares me as a buyer

I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 14:36
You know, there are all these bugs and yet I hardly ever come across any. Maybe I'm not using it enough lol.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 14:54
Same here Exeat, I reckon people who don't plan their code very much suffer less - maybe your like me and you let your code run around the back yard naked . Well, let it be messy at least.

It's the bugs that only show up on other peoples PC's that I worry about! - there's workarounds for practically any bug that DBPro can throw at you.

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 14:58
lol, well I like to think I plan my code. But it tends to get to the stage where after 2 days I can't remember what anything does.

DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 19:01
If you find a bug, there's always a way around it. Most of the time it's syntax though.

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 19:55
Quote: "I'm usually hearing these DBDNers talking about how cool some of the alpha stage stuff is for U6, U7, U18... whatever."

Most of the work at the moment is being done on FPS Creator (mentioned a couple of newsletters back). Not much DBPro stuff to report.

@VanB

The draft of the DBO format docs were released yesterday, I suspect that if you email mike@thegamecreators.com he will be happy to send them to you.

BLUE GUI Plugin: http://blue.robert-knight.net / BLUE IDE [href]http://blueide.sf.net/ - Replacement editor for DBPro[/href]
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 19:56
Quote: "I want to see a nicely textured terrain... for example."

There is nothing on DBDN of that nature. No work has been done on better terrains yet.

BLUE GUI Plugin: http://blue.robert-knight.net / BLUE IDE [href]http://blueide.sf.net/ - Replacement editor for DBPro[/href]
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 20:23
Quote: "There is nothing on DBDN of that nature. No work has been done on better terrains yet."

That's good to know ... I can now lower my expectations of U6 proportionaly.

What is it?
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 01:48
My code is never clean, but I DO hit bugs once and a while

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 05:33
o_O Nicely textured terrain EH? =\ Lemme see if I can find an old screenshot somewhere... oh boy I found two... O_O Enjoy...

^_^ Good enough... =\ those screens are from a heightmap demo I was doing... and am still doing if school would let up... good fun...

EVERYONE LOVES THE PUFF!... =[
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 05:55
Yes, I recall you showing us those screenshots about a million times before lol.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 06:09
What does it look like close up?

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 06:59
Quote: "Yes, I recall you showing us those screenshots about a million times before lol."

and you shall see them a billion times more... o_O I just get a lot of chances to show them... because people have trouble texturing terrain and matrixes... yup... sadly...

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 07:00
Oh yes... up close they look pretty tight...

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 14:03
Quote: "I don't plan to get Pro until I see it will become somewhat stable soon. "

For as long as you hold out on getting Pro you will not see just how few bugs there really are.

The bug reports forum will always be cluttered with lots of posts. The difference is that those which are confirmed, whilst they'll never change in frequency, get more and more trivial.

Ocassionally there is a big screw up, such as anything with a version number ending in .0 but you just let the other mugs find those problems and download versions ending in .1

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 14:50
Indeed - I've found it pretty stable - most of the problems are syntatical or the IDE mucking around...

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 15:11
I'd agree with that. The IDE has caused me more problems than any bug.

Van-B

Next time he runs past, GRAB HIM!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:47:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:47:21