Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Obligatory New Years Resolutions Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 01:29
I haven't seen one for this year, yet there's one every year. I always find it interesting to see what people stick to and don't stick to in their new years resolutions...and that ones I stick to or don't.

My choices:

-Improve my cooking
-Learn C# and ASP.NET to an advanced (ish) level.
-Learn German to a more competent level. As I go to Germany almost every year.
-Improve employment situation. I know that's one for every year. Technically I /did/ find a new job and also progressed to another role in 2015, but the new job fell through and I stayed where I currently was and I also hate the role I moved to.
-I would say "finish a project" but I did that last year and succeeded. Maybe...start a game project and get a full functional demo?
-Get back into Karate. I know I have that one before, but my dad's been asked to open a club, so I am helping him with that, so this will be easy to achieve.
-Become amazingly attractive and be the envy of all the----who am I kidding? I am already amazingly attractive! People collapse and grovel at the sight of me...or stench of me, could be stench. *sniffs* oh.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 02:23
Well this last year was the most productive for my wana be developing years. I have been around these forums since I was 12 and just this past February got my first ever game published / finished anything.

My Goals for 2016 would have to be.

1. Keep learning.

2. Work towards publishing a quality Android application.

3. Get back into physical shape.

4. Inspire Rick / Lee / Paul to keep up the great work on AppGameKit and forget about GameGuru

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 03:20
New job, god I need a new job!
Get my Security+
Get TS clearance
Buy house
give up mountain dew (and all pop, even though i just had 3 mountain dews, a surge, and bout to pop open a bawls)
work out. Get a 270 on my PT score

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 04:50
2560x1440
Launching that business of mine and getting it bringing in some revenue (filing articles of organization tonight after months of extensive research!)
Never posting in an obligatory New Years Resolutions thread
Coming up with other good resolutions as needed
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 07:22
HTC Vive
Get a job
Graduate college
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 13:37
Quote: "give up mountain dew (and all pop, even though i just had 3 mountain dews, a surge, and bout to pop open a bawls)"

Hmm a good one. *looks around his desk & looks at Monster cans* guess I can commit to giving up Monster as it's not any good for me.

Quote: "2560x1440"

There's always one...or several. Guess karma for me doing it in The Posting Competition.

Quote: "4. Inspire Rick / Lee / Paul to keep up the great work on AppGameKit and forget about GameGuru"

While you're at it, think you can persuade them to give me C# support?

On my note of cooking better. I was looking to code an app to give me some tools I would find useful for managing recipes, food ideas and so on, I decided to first see if I could find something that already has what I'm looking for. And came across this: https://www.plantoeat.com
Shame that it has a subscription fee, but is quite low, thankfully. I am giving its 30 day trial ago. Basically it allows me to store recipes, extract them from other websites (there's a plugin for your browser that does this), manually put them in, I get to build my own planner for the week and it extracts a shopping list from the recipes I want to use that week. Useful, because I did my weekly shop today and worked out to be very convenient in getting all the ingredients I need.

It's quite cool, because all I did to get the Chow Mein recipe I am trying tonight is Google a Chow Mein recipe, I wanted one inspired by Chinese take out, as I love those Chow Meins, clicked on the browser plugin and it generated this. It's not perfect as you can see "sauce" and "marinade" just appear randomly, but it allows you to tweak it before you save it, but I was just lazy.

I might still code my app at some point, because my app would be free. ;P

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 15:32
Here's mine!

- Figure out a better diet and start a proper workout routine. Have to get in shape for that wedding in a couple of years!
- Finish, publish and sell an AppGameKit game
- Finish, publish and sell a Unity game
- Finish, publish and sell my soul
- Create a proper website to house all of my games and other media
- Spend more time outdoors
- Read more books
- Write more stories
- Drink more tea as opposed to coffee
- Find a job that doesn't make me feel like I want to quit everyday!
- Buy a 4K TV, that's a resolution of 3840x2160

I will probably add more later, this is just what came off the top of my head!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 19:05
Quote: "- Finish, publish and sell my soul"
I'll buy one! Have any on pre release?
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:08:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:08:44