Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Listing of still active moderators around here?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 01:28
I was wondering if anybody happen to know of any moderators who are still active around here? Or if you're one of the selected few, maybe peek in and say hi?
Sadly it seems a lot of the community has died down lately (I'll admit to mostly lurking around lately as well as there have been relatively little activity to spark my interest).

Anyway, the reason I'm asking is that I was just about to post a long overdue update to my DX11 Plugin WIP thread, only to find that threads are now apparently locked after a mere 90 days of inactivity (I could have sworn it used to be 6 months or more before the forum overhaul!). I'd rather not make a new thread to continue it and was therefore looking for someone to ask to unlock it as I think I have enough cause to warrant that. Now normally I would just send an e-mail to my friendly neighbourhood mod squad member, but seeing to how it took about three weeks to get a reply the last time I did this I thought it would probably be more prudent to see who are even around actively anymore. Also some notorious moderators of eld seem to have... similarly ancient e-mail addresses tied to their accounts. I won't mention any examples but I actually thought of contacting a pair but changed my mind upon seeing addresses I very much doubt said people would actively read these days. So a nudge to any members to whom it may apply, maybe you should have a look to see if your e-mail address is up to date (assuming of course that you want to be contactable that way, but otherwise you should probably just remove the publicly displayed address instead).

Thanks for reading and happy new year.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 04:25
Thraxas pops his head in the Posting Competition every once in a while. KeithC seems to monitor it as well. Not sure about anyone else. I believe Green Gandalf(sp?) made a thread recently.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 04:33
Present.
-Keith
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 04:42
Here.

And my ridiculous email address is checked every day. I didn't ever like the idea of giving out my 'real' email address when joining forums, so I use this one.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 05:20
You know, I hadn't realized how many mods I hadn't seen on here for a while. What happened to Jeku? He used to check in very regularly, and now I maybe see a post from him once every couple of months or so. Does he just do silent moderation?

If you guys need more moderators who are actually active in the community I'm sure people would be willing to step forward and offer their services! For a small fee of course

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 07:44 Edited at: 5th Jan 2016 07:45
Quote: "If you guys need more moderators who are actually active in the community I'm sure people would be willing to step forward and offer their services!"

I don't want to overstep my bounds, but I in all seriousness am one such individual absolutely willing to do so!
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 08:58
I check the boards nearly every day. My own posts are always in the AppGameKit boards.
As one of the other mods mentioned just this week, we did a really good job of eliminating the "problem users" so we aren't as visible at the moment.

Your DX11 thread is unlocked
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 11:04
I'm the same, still check in daily (probably 4 or 5 times a day) - but there just isn't a lot to keep an eye on right now.

Personally, I see the perceived decline in activity as just natural progression. People move on, both to other engines and other forums. I think this forum fits it's purpose, it's here for crusty oldbies using AppGameKit and DBPro, as well as new AppGameKit users. AppGameKit is on steam and DBPro is pretty much free software now, and TGC learned from the forums past, and decided to setup a new forum for GameGuru.

Without trying to sound like a Bob Dylan song, you either move with the times... or you stick with what you know and what gets projects finished. People can post a question and have a response pretty damn quickly for a forum like this, there are still experienced users looking to help, and other forums are not quite as personal I think. I'll never leave, I have a serial killer level of respect for this forum, it's participants, for what it is now and what it has achieved. This forum is not like other forums for me, other forums will never replace Apollo.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 13:55 Edited at: 5th Jan 2016 13:57
I see, well hello to you sirs then!

Dar13 wrote: "I believe Green Gandalf(sp?) made a thread recently."

I don't believe he is acting as a mod anymore... or is he?

Thraxas wrote: "And my ridiculous email address is checked every day. I didn't ever like the idea of giving out my 'real' email address when joining forums, so I use this one."

Haha fair enough, but you never know! It was just the feeling I got from seeing all those old domains like hotmail and yahoo and such, then again I'm still using my msn account so...

@BatVink
Congratulations on dealing with those "problem users".
Also thanks for the swift unlocking!

@Van B
I agree with your sentiment. I also had forgotten that GameGuru has its own forums so that explains a lot.

Van B wrote: "I'll never leave, I have a serial killer level of respect for this forum, it's participants, for what it is now and what it has achieved. This forum is not like other forums for me, other forums will never replace Apollo."

Well said. Now if we could only have the old layout back as well (as an option at least)...
Oh quick-jump combobox, how I've missed you...
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 17:16
I am still here, even if I don't post much or contribute much to discussion. I browse through, catching up on Geek Culture mainly and keeping an eye on the Posting Competition. You guys are generally quite well behaved and don't seem to need much whipping. I would be tempted to introduce a "No 'e'" rule, so whenever somebody who isn't a moderator (abuse of power, naturally, it comes with the territory) uses the letter 'e' we can discipline them. I mean, I have yet to ban somebody, and I am getting the itch.

As for GameGuru forums, I did pick up GameGuru myself, I really should have a proper toy around with that funk. Maybe I should check out that side of the community and assert my dominance.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 17:18
Quote: "community and assert my dominance. "

Ban all the GameGuru users so they are forced to migrate here

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 18:43
I'm also checking in daily, and tend to post mostly in the AppGameKit boards.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 17:29:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 17:29:22