Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NaGaCreMo / VoxelDoom - NaGaCreMo2016 AGK2

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 03:31
well since i have a guy runnen around now with an invisible gun i thought id take a screenshot and show my progress.
Im currently borrowing a minecraft skin so please dont rag hard on me for it...lol! As a programmer and not an artist... its quicker for me to build the game engine first and fix the texturing later.
As for that invisible gun...well you guessed it, i never drew one yet...lol

Ok the game idea:

Id really really like to build a sandbox doom type game where the levels are proceduraly drawn. (created on the fly randomly)
Im still thinking of some ideas on how to go about this.... and i think i may have something to showcase next week with a big building with floors. no walls yet as that will be the toughest part.
If it fails i guess i will just have a sandbox surface run but still may be fun.

the picture:

again pretend he has a gun and that im not using a minecraft skin...lol

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 03:39 Edited at: 6th Jan 2016 03:40
more fun.... try this out but you need a game controller to test it.

**use a xbox 360 compatible controller or same layout of buttons *** i use a logitech f310
joystick:
-a = jump
-leftstick = move and turn
-lb,rb to strafe
-rightstick up+down camera tilt

now i tried to make the camera bob when walking.... how does it feel?
also if your wondering how to get to the top of that hill i made a stair way up if you back up a tad you will see it in the side of a wall.

source included but it is a mess!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 03:56
I wish I could test it but I have no controller. Looks like its going to be fun!

Keep up the inspiring work!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 20:52 Edited at: 6th Jan 2016 20:57
ok well i can add the mouse and keyboard to it on the next demo to showcase.

Today i got big buildings created now! looks like this is very doable to make random levels.
I've also coded in animated tiles into the editor. It now flips through 15 frames of animation if that tile had an animation to play back. With that i should be able to do
animated lava, the crazy walls doom has with the lost souls scrolling by.... etc.

so its time for me to start making some graphics for walls and floors...etc and replace that minecraft look with a doom look.

in this picture i have a tested animation playing (the pumpkin heads) they scroll up and left smoothly in large quantities not effecting framerate at all.
and no... im not using any shaders... just sun direction

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2016 07:25 Edited at: 7th Jan 2016 07:31
ok the rooms are built for the main floor and the basement.

now i have the top floor to do tomorrow and then i can start doing some graphics to fill the rooms with.
looks like there will be allot of options that a player can set to build a random level to play on. This is a good thing!

not much for eye candy yet but heres a shot of me looking through on the main floor.

short to do list for now...
-elevators
-doors
-2nd floor
-spawn placement
-court yard placement
-exit placement
-keys

once these are taken care of i can start coding some guns and enemies to shoot at.

a sample of my scrolling skulls across the wall (they are animated)

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jan 2016 18:44
Excellent work SoftMotion! You always have great stuff for NaGaCreMo!

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2016 21:49
Looking really sweet! You sure are putting in a lot of effort this month!

Keep up the great work!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2016 01:21
thanks guys.... i always seem to pull through for the month of January and thats it...lol
it probably helps i have 2 weeks off work in January.

So i did a quick video showcasing some doors/elevators/ randomly generated maps. I think im going to skip out on making that 2nd floor above the main one since the map gets big already.

tomorrow i will add keys into the game and make sure they are accessible in order so its possible to finish a level. Also i need to to an outside entrance, and finish that roofing.
Im aiming to have 2 gameplay modes. 1 will just be custom and allow you to change level creation options. The second game mode will be the SMD Challange...lol! Ill compose 16 sets of random enviroments that get harder as you go Also better make this multiplayer.... oh and a gun that can actually blast holes in the walls n floors since it is a sandbox afterall.

in the video you can also see i have the camera bobbing up and down as you walk. the jumping is set hi only for testing fyi!

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2016 23:05 Edited at: 8th Jan 2016 23:43
It looks like you are making great progress on this! I am looking forward to trying it out down the line.

I downloaded your demo, and all i got was this (pictured) both tries. I could not move or do anything else.
<snip image>

EDIT:
I just realized after I got my controller working that you start off the map and have to climb up the stairs... Silly me. Nice demo so far! Felt good to walk around.
Using AppGameKit v2 T1 + T2
Systems: Primary: Windows 10
Secondary: Mac OS X 10.10

Attachments

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2016 23:50
lol yeah ...give me 20 mins and i will post an update with doors to run around.

im just working out 3d sounds......almost there.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2016 00:52
ok i had a good go at the 3d sound simulation...but it needs allot of work and its not there yet!

when jumping you will hafta find a side of the map you can jump up on....eventually you will find an opening in the roof to go inside the randomly generated building.
press "b" to open and use elevators and you must be right next to them or on them.

a joystick is still needed to test this out unless you wanna go in there and add keyboard to it (the source is included)

Attachments

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 06:13 Edited at: 10th Jan 2016 06:15
well... its been a crazy day but i got some good news!

after fighting with locked doors and key placement i finally got it running good. i will need to do further testing to make sure a key is not placed in a room not accessible out of order.
i was fighting with the red key always getting locked in another door color when it was suppose to be the first one collected.

i've updated a little bit so there is some doom resemblance such as doors. i even attempted to animate slightly with lights flashing.

here is a current screenshot:
a door

a key rotating

next i will tidy it up....then make some guns

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 13:29
Looking really good

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2016 18:04 Edited at: 30th Jan 2016 18:32
i probably shouldnt have taken such a big break from coding.... I blame the fact that my wife bought me a new motorcycle....lol I've been looking at it non stop in my garage unable to drive it because of the snow. Anyways i think im finally ready to get back to coding.

looks like i got 3d sounds, doors,elevators,keys,exit point coded in.

not much left so i will see what i can do with today and tomorrow.

edit: dang there is allot that i still need to do with this. Looks like i have failed this year for nagacremo. Something good thats come out of this is a way to randomly design buildings with just code.
anyways for this years projects i will be working on include: Kingdom Battle Grounds,DroidDescent,(fps)VoxelDoom.
I should try to just do 1 at a time however or i never finish anything going back and forth. I better go back to my first project started a year ago "Kingdom Battle Grounds" See if i can finish at least one project this year.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:58:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:58:05