Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [?] audio, hdmi, and pc monitor

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 06:03
So I've had this westinghouse 24" monitor for about 7 years and it has speakers built-in. Can't see them, but I have volume controls so they must be there somewhere, right? Well, I've had all sorts of things connected through HDMI before and I've never heard sound from it before. I currently have my retropie (raspberry pi) hooked up to it and games or menu sounds don't come through the hdmi at all, as I expected since sound has never worked. However, I just installed kodi and was shocked to hear the UI sounds coming from the monitor! Kodi seems to be the only program that actually outputs the sound over hdmi in a way that my monitor can understand. I was wondering if anyone can explain why this seems to be the only program in existence to work with sound on my monitor speakers?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 08:19 Edited at: 24th Jan 2016 08:20
I assume you've used Windows' audio dialog to opt for HDMI sound output? It may also help to temporarily disable other audio outputs that are currently set to default. Getting HDMI sound output has always eluded me too.
"If you know Apple, use it. If you know Vista, ask yourself why, then use it." - Mark Cuban
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 11:05
windows or linux, heck even a dvd player, sound doesn't work through this monitor with hdmi until I ran Kodi on my raspberry pi. Connected to my normal tv, sound over hdmi works on everything. It's just very weird.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:05:10
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:05:10