Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How to compile open source FPSC?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 12:13
So, Lee has announced that FPSC has gone open source and can be found here https://github.com/LeeBamberTGC/FPS-Creator-Classic

To me, this is great news but I am not a programmer... I want to try compiling and if I can get it working I will find someone who can help me with a few ideas.

On GitHub there is a short readme file on how to compile but have anyone had any luck yet?

I downloaded and tried building but there are missing files and I get compiler errors.

I have already installed Visual Studio 2012 and DirectX SDK (August 2007).
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
I wrote Lee and did not get an helpfull answer. I wrote the support and not even get an answer.
It seems that they just not care. In the moment it is impossible to compile it. Sorry.
PredicateC - FPSC to GameGuru FPE converter
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/211068
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 20:10 Edited at: 11th Feb 2016 20:31
Quote: "I downloaded and tried building but there are missing files and I get compiler errors."

It use to be when compiling the FPSC source, one needed to have Dark Lights and Dark AI plugin. I had asked this question in another thread relating to the source going open and did not get a reply. In the current source I work on (and in the last release on Google Code), this was always at the top...

Quote: "
rem Requires DBPro Upgrade 7.5, and additionally requires:
rem plugins-licensed\DBProGameFX.dll
rem plugins-licensed\EnhancementsFREE.dll
rem plugins-licensed\DarkAI.dll
rem plugins-licensed\LightMapper.dll
rem plugins-user\DBProMultiplayerPlusDebug.dll
rem plugins-user\DBProODEDebug.dll
"

I did examine the DBP open source and see they have the DarkLights and DarkPhysics in the folder "Dark-Basic-Pro-Initial-Files.zip\Dark-Basic-Pro-Initial-Files\Dark Basic Public Shared\Official Plugins\". There is also the Enhancement Pack and 3DCloth & Particles. I notice in the open source zip of DBP, a few of the plugins I quoted above are not included in the folder(s) specified, and I had made the assumption you may have to compile a couple of them (supplied plugins) in order to use in DBP. I could be incorrect on that assumption as I am basing the archive with my DBP already setup and I compile both v1.17 source and v1.20 source. In my folders I have plugins that the supplied archive does not have (such as LightMapper.dll and DarkAI) and without these, my own source will not compile.

Perhaps you missed having one of these in their proper location?

**Additional**

I took the supplied open source of FPSC and ran it through my DBP to compile the FPSC-Game.exe. I received an error at first...
Quote: "Compilation Failed. Variable 'pi' name is not valid at line 5951."

I realized that the Matrix Utils had a change a while back where "pi" was changed to "pint". So I removed all my Matrix Util files and recompiled.

I received two parse errors, one on line 274 and one on line 296 of the file FPSC-Debug.dba file. I commented out the "return" (place a ' in front of the word return) and tried again. It compiled, but I also have "DarkAI.dll, DarkPhysics.dll, Lightmapper.dll, EnhancementsFREE.dll" in my "plugins-licensed" folder.
There\'s no problem that can\'t be solved without applying a little scripting.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2016 06:39 Edited at: 13th Feb 2016 19:53
What little I know about business and legal issues I believe that once TGC put this out to pasture (open source) they have no liability and they do not have to support it any longer. It is now up to those who want the source code to figure it out for themselves and of course one can get help here as long as they still maintain a forum for it. Another thing is one can try to gather up like-minded individuals just to work on new modifications to the source code. It takes some organization and commitment of a few people to put something like a team together. You probably have programs you use that have been developed as open source.
When in doubt -- C4
-Jamie Hyneman
SherbertTCat
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 13th Feb 2016 06:02 Edited at: 13th Feb 2016 06:38
I get the feeling that they couldn't even be bothered to make sure it could be compiled as-is!
Screw it. If its gonna be this much trouble just to get it working...
Honestly, if they were gonna half-ass the release, why bother at all?
"Maow!"
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2016 08:25
Lee updated the open source files - let's hope that does what we need.

I am downloading again and I hope to try it later today.
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2016 11:36 Edited at: 13th Feb 2016 21:13
Yeah, I tested it and you can compile it now, but there are files still missing. FPSC-Game.exe crash if you started, because some entities files are missing. Even the simplest map with segements and start marker did not work. Work around, you can install your own version of FPSC.
But the compile does not accept the rem command in the wasp branch.

Edit:
Ok I used my old FPSC with the newest update. It works for the FPSC-Game.exe(other exes i didnĀ“t test)
Also it compiles a lot faster now and also it startet faster. At least for me
So I am ready to create my own mod

Edit2: Does not work. I used another exe.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2016 23:00
In TGC's defense. They are only two or three guys and have a lot on there plate right now. Have a little patience with them. They will get things organized. Lee is a good guy for releasing classic as open source. He could have just killed it .
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Lee is a good guy for releasing classic as open source. He could have just killed it ."

Releasing something open source should include that you can compile it yourself, otherwise it is useless. So at the moment it is open source and killed at the same time.
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2016 12:57
Let's try and see what is really missing from the current open source. We can build a list for Lee and I'm sure he will respond to it.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2016 13:40
Quote: "What little I know about business and legal issues I believe that once TGC put this out to pasture (open source) they have no liability and they do not have to support it any longer. It is now up to those who want the source code to figure it out for themselves and of course one can get help here as long as they still maintain a forum for it."

That is true, Flatlander. Both you and I have seen a lot of software go this way in our time, and this has always been the case. BTW, glad to see you are still hanging around. Hope all goes well on your side of the world.

Quote: "Let's try and see what is really missing from the current open source. We can build a list for Lee and I'm sure he will respond to it."

I already mentioned what is missing in my previous post. The FPSC source that is supplied will compile in my DBP, but I have the files I mentioned in my post above in the "plugins-licensed" folder. I could have setup a VM and used the supplied DBP from the open source archive to see if in fact it does work, but I did not have the time to do so and used my current machine with DBP. If the FPSC source compiles as I mentioned above, then the "plugins" is what needs to be looked at. The compiled EXE (both map editor and game) work fine in my FPSC.

There is something that is missing that will cause some issues. There was discussion of the "multiplayer gamelist server" issue found here. The supplied source does not include these "mysterious files" that the source calls upon, including the SQL database. If one is going to use the multiplayer side, then either all these files are needed or one will have to revamp the multiplayer section of code (which is what I ended up doing in my source).
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2016 15:53 Edited at: 14th Feb 2016 15:55
Lee added more to the fpsc download on git hub about 2 days ago. Has anyone tried to compile this version?

THIS IS THE READ ME.

How To Use Source
=================

1. Launch DBP using this path: 'Dark Basic Pro Shared\Dark Basic Pro\Launch.exe'

2. Use IDE to load 'Dark Basic Pro Shared\Dark Basic Pro\Projects\FPSCREATOR\FPSC-MapEditor (english).dbpro'

3. Press the Compile button to generate a new FPSC-MapEditor.exe

4. Use IDE to load 'Dark Basic Pro Shared\Dark Basic Pro\Projects\FPSCREATOR\FPSC-Game (english).dbpro'

5. Press the Compile button to generate a new FPSC-Game.exe

6. Use IDE to load 'Dark Basic Pro Shared\Dark Basic Pro\Projects\FPSCREATOR\FPSC-Screens.dbpro'

7. Press the Compile button to generate a new FPSC-Screens.exe

8. Load 'FPS Creator Editor\FPS.sln' into Visual Studio

9. Compile project to generate a new FPSCreator.exe

10. Locate 'gamecore.zip' in 'Dark Basic Pro Shared\Dark Basic Pro\Projects\FPSCREATOR\Files' and unzip it to form a folder gamecore, then delete the zip.

11. Run FPSCreator.exe to launch FPS Creator Classic

12. An alternative WASP branch of the FPSC source code has been archived here: 'WASP Branch Code'
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Lee added more to the fpsc download on git hub about 2 days ago. Has anyone tried to compile this version?"

Yes, I tried. You can compile MapEditor and FPSC-Game. FPSC-screen still not work.
The wasb branch is still not compilable.
Also if you fix all the file missing reports, there are no lights and entities in your game. So there is anything wrong with the plugins or compiler.
SherbertTCat
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 15th Feb 2016 04:40
I'm of the opinion, that if you're gonna just half-ass something, don't bother getting people's hopes up in the first place.
"Maow!"
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2016 08:39 Edited at: 15th Feb 2016 08:40
Quote: "I'm of the opinion, that if you're gonna just half-ass something, don't bother getting people's hopes up in the first place."

And my opinion is that you judge me without trying it. Please try and tell me if you can make it. Thats what I want!

I am unable to do it, so show me that I am wrong.
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2016 09:26
Hey, let's focus on what we need to tell Lee is missing from the current open source version. I am sure he will fix it when he has the time.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2016 22:17 Edited at: 15th Feb 2016 22:54
Hi everyone,

So after downloading the latest FPSC open source files from GitHub (12/02/16), I opened up the DBPro launch.exe which has now been included and found the FPSC-Game and FPSC-MapEditor executables compiled without any errors.
https://github.com/LeeBamberTGC/FPS-Creator-Classic

The FPSC-Game and FPSC-MapEditor executables did not initially compile to the project folder and I had to manually create a folder called Temp so they could be compiled.
I also found FPSC-Screens does not compile and gives an error 'Label '?' does not exist at line 50'.

This open source release appears to be based on FPSC v115 so you need to install the official V115 update before adding your compiled modded files. Everything seems to work fine using V115 or V116 with all lights, physics and AI building correctly. I tried testing with V117 and above but there are issues with lights not working and other various problems including the resource meters not being available or post effects etc.

So the good news is people can go ahead and start making V115 / V116 mods now. I've not looked at the Visual Studio side of things yet but that could be interesting.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 00:25
Quote: "The FPSC-Game and FPSC-MapEditor executables did not initially compile to the project folder and I had to manually create a folder called Temp so they could be compiled.
I also found FPSC-Screens does not compile and gives an error 'Label '?' does not exist at line 50'.

This open source release appears to be based on FPSC v115 so you need to install the official V115 update before adding your compiled modded files. Everything seems to work fine using V115 or V116 with all lights, physics and AI building correctly. I tried testing with V117 and above but there are issues with lights not working and other various problems including the resource meters not being available or post effects etc."

That is interesting. I ran the source through my DBP and as I mentioned above only received the couple errors when compiling, but it *does* work in my v1.17 FPSC with no issues to lights, physics, or AI. I did not have to create any "Temp" folder. I wonder if I have no issues due to the fact I already bought DBP years ago and my compiler is properly setup already, having rewritten the source a while back.

I am seeing my help is of no use here, so best of luck on the endeavor.
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 13:02
I finally had the time to try compiling.

After creating the Temp folder both FPSC-MapEditor (english).dbpro and FPSC-Game (english).dbpro compiled.

I got the same line 50 error as the rest of you when trying to compile FPSC-Screens.dbpro.

As instructed, I decompressed the gamecore found in the Files folder.

Then I opened Visual Studio 2012 (trial version). I am unsure if this is the right Visual Studio to use - it needed to convert (migrate) things in the project. I got around 20 warnings and could not build.

My open source fpsc is not able to run...
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks that helped a lot
here is the link to 1.15 update:
https://www.thegamecreators.com/product/2001/page/archive/Files
But I can not open the fps creator.exe. Not sure why?

Quote: "Then I opened Visual Studio 2012 (trial version). I am unsure if this is the right Visual Studio to use - it needed to convert (migrate) things in the project. I got around 20 warnings and could not build."

I get an error because I miss bcgcb.h. This is a file you just get in a commercial programm: https://www.bcgsoft.com/bcgcontrolbarpro.htm
So this needs maybe a rewrite in c#. I look into it.

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2016 23:52
I'm sure you'll crack this nut wide open corno_1. Also, thanks for the link to the old upgrades.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2016 23:42
looks like lee released a precompiled version of classic on git hub.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
ncmako
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 20th Feb 2016 02:01 Edited at: 20th Feb 2016 02:02
I saw that seppgirty. The exe is 450megs. Could that be V1.0 by chance ???
And the V1.20 update is only 158megs.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2016 07:57
This is a nice move by Lee! At least this will let me try me idea for an educational FPSC.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 11:47:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 11:47:53