Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Tokamak Physics

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 15:59
Just wondering if anyone used the Tokamak physics system? Its freeware and seems ripe for creating a physics plugin for DB out of.

Anyone got any thoughts?

"My ignorance amuses me..."
http://www.victory-road.co.uk
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 16:12
Not quite... it's free as in the same mannor Quake1 & 2 are.
It's also not exactly nice to use, or even particularly indepth enough.

It's more like Blitz and Games development, there is enough there to make it useable; but for anything serious i'd avoid it like the plauge ^_^

from what i hear about TGC's own, it's actually going to be pretty damn good i'd recommend waiting for it, or i could be nice and release Kismet already.

infact is technically finished, i just don't want to release for a while; atleast not until i finally get the thumbs up from Middleware. Though mine won't be free either,.
There is always another user who is developing one, his Cloth demo was good for the basics. Probably worth keeping an eye out.
Alot of them have been advancing behind the scenes really, simply because unlike IDE's where you can get quite results to show physics take quite a while not just to code the libraries and adapt them for DBP use but it's the way you have to also set them up so that beginners, intermediate and advanced can all use them without much hassle.

Believe me that is actually the biggest obstical trying to make it not go over the heads of the newbies, or even intermediate. There is such and urge to make it so complex to give more options.

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
Sonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 00:37
Quote: "it's free as in the same mannor Quake1 & 2 are.
"

Not sure what you mean there - I got the impression from their site that the library could be used for commercial or non products.

I also noticed that someone on their forum had already made a blitz plugin from it.

I assumed TGC would be licensing something like that (3rd party physics) into their engine - rather than than doing it themselves. Perhaps they'd wish to sell it as a stand-alone library for games development (not just for DB).

Anyways - thanks for the input, Raven

"My ignorance amuses me..."
http://www.victory-road.co.uk
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 01:20
it's protected under GPL, means you can do whatever you like; provided you don't make cash. they're licensing schemes hurt my wallet just looking at them.

as far as i understand TGC's is being developed completely 'in-house' rather than utilising a 3rd party engine like Havok or such.
not sure what i'm allowed to say about it.

it is enough to get me actually excited about it, and you guys know how hard it is to actually impress me lol ^_^

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 01:56
@Raven

"they're licensing schemes hurt my wallet just looking at them."

You may be interested to know that they've changed their licensing schemes.

http://www.tokamakphysics.com/
Quote: "We are pleased to announce the release of a new license agreement for the Tokamak Game Physics SDK. You can now use Tokamak for Commercial and Non-commercial purposes FREE!"

Its worth checking out again. I'm thinking about using it myself if I get some spare time to fiddle with it.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 02:23
Quote: "and you guys know how hard it is to actually impress me lol "

Yes. Yes we do.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 02:32 Edited at: 13th Dec 2003 02:34
hmm, didn't know that 2 was that far along already.
guess it does make it more appealing now it is free, used to be $75,000 for a single title / single platform

was annoying enough considering you had to convert the libs yourself for other systems than C++ Windows.
i'd still recommend OpenDE over it though

[edit-] knew i should've checked the EULA first, still has some pre-requists in it that wouldn't be good for DBP.

Quote: "3) The LICENSEE agrees to credit the use of the Tokamak physics library in any program information, including splash screens, "About" dialogs, program notes or instructions and shrink-wrapped packaging. "

this in particular

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 08:40
@Raven

"used to be $75,000 for a single title / single platform"

Yikes!

"was annoying enough considering you had to convert the libs yourself for other systems than C++ Windows."

Yes, that is probably one of the few drawbacks behind this paticular engine.

"i'd still recommend OpenDE over it though"

I looked over that before and considered it. Its pretty good. Has more joints and what not than tokamak. Though the guys who are developing Tokamak claim faster joint solvers and object sleeping as its main advantages over ODE. Hmmm. Decisions, Decisions. I'll probably wind up using both though. They each have their strengths.

" knew i should've checked the EULA first, still has some pre-requists in it that wouldn't be good for DBP.

Quote: ""3) The LICENSEE agrees to credit the use of the Tokamak physics library in any program information, including splash screens, "About" dialogs, program notes or instructions and shrink-wrapped packaging. ""

this in particular"

Yeah, that one caught my eye as well. If I ever make a commericial product with it, I'll probably just throw something in the back of the manual about using it. No, big deal. Though, if someone were to convert it for use with DBPro that license might become an issue. Would probably have to include a read-me with the dll stating the license.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 10:40
yeah but no-one read them, and technically they can't get done for it as they're only using a precompiled version. kinda a double edged sword

but ho hum lol

Metamophic
Years of Service
User Offline
physics for DB?!?!? SWEEEET. any idea when it will be out? will it be ragdoll stuff? (sorry, i dont know about the subject)

www.freewebs.com/metamorphicsoft

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:41:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:41:41