Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What is a good space combat game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 19:59
What is a really nice flying "Outer Space" combat game? I loved every second of Wing commander III. But can't play it any more since it is DOS and just will not run right on my XP machine.

Though I didn't like Freespace as much.
Any suggestions what might be fun?
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you nuts, Freespace was awesome! Though I never got around to playing Freespace II, I'm sorry I didn't.

If you didn't like Freespace you won't like Star Wraith much better. Especially the ones before Star Wraith III. I only played the demo to Star Wraith III, but I still liked it.

Other than that, there was an interesting game called Renegade. I tried to play it on my old PC, but the BIOS drivers needed to run the game weren't available.

Terminal Velocity may not be outter-space, but I though it was good fun. 3D Realms should release a Windows version of it so that it can run again .

Hmmm... Have you tried Wing Commander Prophecy. I never played it but it is much more recent.

I'm not really sure... of wait, you could just make your own ideal Space Combat Sim in DarkBasic. The only problem is comming up with original ideals.
Somehow I've got a major brain-fart. I know there are more Space Combat sims than the ones I mentioned, but I can't seem to think of them. I think you're best bet is to look into Wing Commander Prophecy.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 21:47
What about Aspace?
It's amazin'

Visit our new site! : http://www.megatoncreations.tk

If life throws you a grenade...pull the pin and throw it back!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 21:57
Renegade as in FASA's Renegade Legion: Intercepter, Jacob's Star?

If so, set the way-back machine and try sites like Underdogs.

A nice bargin bin title is I-War, also know as Independence War. The original will probably not run on a modern machine, but I-War2 should. [Have it at home, but have not installed it, yet.]
--
TAZ
Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 22:22 Edited at: 12th Dec 2003 22:24
I am hearing a lot of nice things about Microsofts Freelancer.
Jedi Master Jesse
Years of Service
User Offline
pretty much all the star wars games r nice. go for x-wing and its expansions. theyre great. but, if your looking to conquer the galaxy, try star wars rebllion. (really old really good sw strategy game)

Wookiee cookies are extra chewie! (da dun tis!)

CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2003 04:18
I bought freelancer for $2.99 at ebgames, it was at one of the stores but they might have it at ebgames.com for the same price, good for the price it is.

Lifes short, try to enjoy it and not take it to seriously!
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Northern_Fist you missed it. I played Terminal Velocity under Windows 95 back in the nineties. That game was released over 8 years ago! Supports modem, serial cable, and network multiplayer games.

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2003 12:51 Edited at: 14th Dec 2003 12:52
Elite - Frontier!
Elite - Frontier!
Elite - Frontier!
Elite - Frontier!
Elite - Frontier!

The pure essence of a space sim, as well as pure game.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2003 13:28
Quote: "Terminal Velocity may not be outter-space, but I though it was good fun. 3D Realms should release a Windows version of it so that it can run again "

An interesting fact about Terminal Velocity. It was released in 1995 under the name 'Terminal Velocity' and published by 3D Realms. It was also released the same year under the name "Fury3" and published by Micrsoft. It was then released a third time in 1996 under the name "Hellbender" and again published by Microsoft. All 3 games were developed by a company called 'Terminal Reality' and all 3 games are exactly identicle, yet the only one to have an expansion pack released for it was Fury3 called "F!Zone"

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Xantos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 12:13
According to my cousin a game called X2:The Threat is meant to be really good. Its out in the USA now. He says its like Freelancer but better.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
ah yes ORB thats a really fun space RTS game i think...it is...or Terminus thats a awsome open ended space game and uhhh that one by novalogic can't remember the name....and that one by microsoft think its called freelancer...and i could go on and on and on....i can burn a copy of Terminus for you if you pay shipping and handaling....

http://www.freewebs.com/ingamers
load image "sp1.bmp",1
paste???? 2d games = fun....teach me

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 22:27:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 22:27:57