Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / the Black Island has disappeared

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 22:42
Today has seen a sad announcement, although something that was feared for a few months has happened; Black Island Studio's is now officially dissolved.

Although with word of Fallout3 in development it was felt the company was pineing for a last ditch to bring up thier profit margin, the recent resignation of Lead Designer John Sawyer better known for his work on Colonisation and Transport Tycoon,. really spelt out the enevitable that was given in a press conference.

Quote: "I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but the "good" folks at Interplay have laid off everyone at BIS.BIS is no longer. Anytime you see the BIS logo on a future product, know that no one who was associated w/ BIS actually worked on it. BIS is nothing more than a sticker that IPLY slaps on their future product.

Van Buren/Fallout3 has been "shelved," as the geniuses at IPLY have put it. Console only is the word of the day now. Even though Van Buren was half-way finished, the 'tards in charge have decided they want to do Exalted console and FOBOS 2. The simple fact they are making FOBOS2 even when FOBOS when hasn't shipped and is hated by the Fallout community says a lot about their intelligence. Not to mention Van Buren would be the only game they could possibly ship by X-mas next year."

Pretty sad day really for Fallout and Ice Wind Dale fans.

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
That sucks - stupid publishers. I think it'd be awesome if the good folks of BIS got together and developed a kick @$$ indi game, sold it to another publisher, and got hired there.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 00:43
Sigh. It's not only a nasty thing to do to the fans, it's a ridiculous marketing decision IMO... if they're ever going to trek back into the PC field, they'll want SOMETHING to stand on.

That's depressing.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 05:02
Some news that may lift your spirits, Black Isle Studios is not dead after all. Or so it seems.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/446/446757p1.html
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 06:11
yeah i saw it Neo, thing that worries me is what they say about the company.
first they state "no it's not closing", yet later they say "if even the company disappears, we still own the rights to Fallout and the titles themselves would live on for the fans."

i mean sorry you don't say stuff like that if it isn't something you expect.
and fans hate it when other companies take over game series...

Crystal Dynamics & Tomb Raider a good example for the moment.

not that i'm particularly distrought lol never was a fan of any of the games. but still the company has been around doing some good rpg's for a long time now.

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 17:15
Black Isle is dead,they(IPLY) just need some time to digest it.

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:28:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:28:58